Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile use when driving

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2009, 06:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mobile use when driving

Nearly got knocked off my bike by a girl in a Mini today, about 23, you know the type "Aren't I the glamorous young woman about town in my Mini" , I am coming down the main road on my push bike, doing 20 mph quite happy, see her waiting at the junction to turn left and it being a Mini I was instantly on guard, she goes for it completely mis-reading my speed, you could see the though process "Its a bike, slow, go, oh, er, ****, its close, er, er, er ,er, Stop", so she stops blocking most of the lane, I could have gone round but didn't know where she would stop and I didn't want to end up in the oncoming traffic stopped with about 2 feet to spare (Hydraulic Disk brakes are superb), as I stop she was still talking into her phone !!!

So I said "Excuse me but I do beleive it is illegal to operate a mobile telephone whilst driving a motorised vehicle and you just made me stop very quickly which was both dangerous and alarming for me, please do not do that again, ok, thanks bye"

No I didnt, I shouted "GET OFF YOUR F*CKING PHONE YOU F*CKING DUMB BITCH", to this, her reaction, after the "Stunned Mullet" look one was anger, she flicked me the bird, had to let go of the wheel as she still had her mobile in her left hand and obviously didn't want to end the conversation, when she had finished with the gestures she scuttled away as fast as it would go, taking her onto the WRONG side of the road !

If you use your mobile when you drive, buy a headset or car kit, next time I think, rather than braking fully I might just slow down enough to allow me to hit the car and launch all sixteen stone onto the bonnet to cause some damage, then slide off, roll round a bit, spaz out a bit and pretend I am dead, (obviously only if there are witnesses), few days off work, compensation and one suitably humbled selfish ****.
Old 01 April 2009, 06:56 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its my new pet hate .... It gets me worse than having your fog lamps on.
I get such rage when I see them on the phone arrrrrrrhggggggg

The worst is when your in traffic and the dumb blonde in the car behind is texting, Im just waiting for the bump.

Its 3 points and a £60 fine, but it could be a life ban and £20k fine, but if the police are not on the roads to get'em then they are going to carry on using them.
Old 01 April 2009, 07:17 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

funny old world, if you prove you aint texted for a couple of minutes then you hit and kill someone, the appeal court thinks that the last sentance of jail is a bit hard,no wonder nobody takes any notice of the law.
Old 01 April 2009, 07:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to think about doing silly things to cars that come close to hitting me as well. One of my friends did similar, a car just missed hitting him when he was on a crossing so he lashed out with his foot to kick the car. His foot got caught on the car and it damaged his leg really badly with a permanent limp now as well. I now don't have any thoughts of doing silly things to cars anymore as I don't fancy the unexpected to happen to me
Old 01 April 2009, 08:00 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Did someone say 23 year old girl in a mini? This thread is useless without pictures
Old 01 April 2009, 08:16 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Why can't people buy cars with a hands free kit installed? My Fiat 500 has voice activated blue tooth built in. It's ace!

Always see people in big, expensive cars on their mobiles. Surely if they can afford a car like that, then a hands free kit is peanuts!!
Old 01 April 2009, 08:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get her registration, get the time of the incident and report it to the police, billing is pretty accurate to the second nowerdays and they can find out if she was on the phone or not because of that, apart from the fine and the points, she can be done for undue care and attention, which is more points and a bigger fine
I work in the mobile industry and its a BIG pet hate for me seeing people on the phone (shoved to their ear) whilst trying to drive properly, and with the latest phones, your pretty screwed as they can pin point your position

Tony
Old 01 April 2009, 08:54 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Yep, drives me fricken mad. I walk down the road every morning about 6am with the dogs and the amount of people that are using their phones is ridiculous. The best bit is they are driving right past the county Police HQ but don't give a ****, mind you I think all the plod are tucked up drinking tea waiting for shift change at that time.

Saw a Ferrari the other day, not sure what model but new and expensive and the **** driving quite merrily talking away. ****.
Old 01 April 2009, 10:11 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Being a commuting cyclist myself I have always wanted to have the guts to ride up to the window of someone talking on the phone and reach in, grab said phone and lob it down the road as far as the eye can see.

Then use the ensuing stunned moment to get the **** out of there at warp speed

The thing is: how the hell are they going to report it?
Old 01 April 2009, 10:45 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Personally if that was me,, i would have let her hit me that way i get her phone number and her sympathy

on a serious note i hate people that use phones while driving. just the other day i was driving along, coming up to a round about and some bimbo in a gold going 3rd exit (all the way round the roundabout) on her phone, and not indicating. i slowed down, but went half way accross the round about so she would notice me (and my gesturing hands) and she had the cheek to give me the eye as she drove past.

grr
Old 01 April 2009, 11:30 PM
baz999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Get her registration, get the time of the incident and report it to the police, billing is pretty accurate to the second nowerdays and they can find out if she was on the phone or not because of that, apart from the fine and the points, she can be done for undue care and attention, which is more points and a bigger fine
I work in the mobile industry and its a BIG pet hate for me seeing people on the phone (shoved to their ear) whilst trying to drive properly, and with the latest phones, your pretty screwed as they can pin point your position

Tony
Good idea but you need an independant witness or the police won't do anything. My other half was forced off the road by some **** overtaking on a blind bend with oncoming traffic. Told her to report it and that is what the copper told her but said they would put a marker on the reg.
Old 02 April 2009, 12:20 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

one of my pet hates as well.

I drive the cat and fiddle over to buxton most days and I see the big lorrys coming down loaded with stone from the quarrys and the drivers have their mobiles spot welded to their heads! Then they cant get round the tight corners quick enough as there unable to turn the wheel fast with one hand. Your coming the other way and theres a 40 tonne truck on your side of the road.

If you beep them they flip you the bird which leaves no hands on the wheel!
Old 02 April 2009, 10:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am surprised you did not report her J4CKO, her attitude towards you was such that she did not care and richly deserved it. You might even have saved someone else from injury in the future too. Too many of these selfish types around now.

Les
Old 02 April 2009, 11:01 AM
AER-SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

This is my pet hate too.
Only 2 weeks ago I was driving to work after dropping off my 1yr old daughter. As I was approaching a junction a dumb blonde in a VW Golf, swings into the junction to turn around missing me by inches. When she completes her turn I notice she is on the phone. I then beeped and showed my frustration and signal for her to get off her phone. She gives the bird and some verbal, then being big and clever she instantly lamps on the brakes almost causing me to go in to the back of her. I then go ballistic. She soon ends the phone call and ****s herself as she gets blocked behind an ash cart in front. People think they are clever when surrounded by metal, different story when they can’t get away.
Old 02 April 2009, 11:43 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Saw a stupid bwitch this morning dropping her kids at school, done up like a dogs dinner, in her 4 wheel drive, chatting on the phone - and just missed someone else's kid who had sensibly got of thier bike to cross the road.

I seriously think it is about time ZERTO TOLLERANCE was introduced.

You get in a car, you & your passengers turn your phones of - simple - no distraction. After all is wasn't that long ago we didn't have mobile phones at all.

What is so important that it can't wait until you reach your destination?

I also believe this of alchol - if you want to drink - even one drink - you DO NOT DRIVE! Simple.

At least with zero tollerane it is a clear cut case - you know you shouldn't, so don't - end of.

Last edited by Nurse Gladys; 02 April 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02 April 2009, 11:50 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

we get people crashing into each other quite often at work as one of the spackers is usually on a mobile.

one chap who came in to defend his wife, told me its legal to use a mobile while driving as long as you are at a carwash

i told him to **** off and not come back, otherwise i would be passing on the cctv footage of his wife driving while on the phone, to the police

i have seen, my lads standing waiting for some doofus to say what program he wants (while having 3-4 cars behind in a que) while said doofus is telling them he will only be a few mins as he is just finishing his phone call

Last edited by StickyMicky; 02 April 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02 April 2009, 12:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I seem to rember that when the law was introduced it seeme dto have an effect but now people seem to have gone back to their old ways, I have my phone in the boot in my rucksack, if like the other day I needed it as my grandad was ill I keep it to hand and pull over where safe to do so and make my call.

Need some high profile prosecutions and give the Police the powers to permanently confiscate phones if people seen driving with them, no ifs, no buts, if that happened they may think twice if their precious Iphone or whatever is going to be taken along with all their numbers, photos, music etc. In fact, get the coppers to drive their patrol car over the phone and the fingers on their dialing hand.

Quarry wagons are bad enough, the thought that the drivers are on the phone when driving with 1 7 tonne truck carrying twenty tonnes of hardcore (j4ckos mates entire collection) is terrifying.
Old 02 April 2009, 12:41 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Scooby Blue WRX
Saw a stupid bwitch this morning dropping her kids at school, done up like a dogs dinner, in her 4 wheel drive, chatting on the phone - and just missed someone else's kid who had sensibly got of thier bike to cross the road.

I seriously think it is about time ZERTO TOLLERANCE was introduced.

You get in a car, you & your passengers turn your phones of - simple - no distraction. After all is wasn't that long ago we didn't have mobile phones at all.

What is so important that it can't wait until you reach your destination?

I also believe this of alchol - if you want to drink - even one drink - you DO NOT DRIVE! Simple.

At least with zero tollerane it is a clear cut case - you know you shouldn't, so don't - end of.

Why should a passenger turn off a mobile, what a daft thing to say!

Are you going to ban satnavs and radios as well, get a life!
Old 02 April 2009, 12:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Why should a passenger turn off a mobile, what a daft thing to say!

Are you going to ban satnavs and radios as well, get a life!

I don't think that would be practical, I will get passengers to answer mine in the rare occasions it rings when in the car.

It should be down to common sense, but some dont have any, like the girl I saw in a new Beetle reading heating magazine on her steering wheel, in fact young women seem to be pretty selfish, especially when driving trendy cars.

I sometimes get it wrong myself, was on my bike and did a double take at the ten year old boy driving a car coming the other way, it turned out to be a Mustang and was left hand drive
Old 02 April 2009, 01:37 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Get her registration, get the time of the incident and report it to the police, billing is pretty accurate to the second nowadays and they can find out if she was on the phone or not ... and with the latest phones, your pretty screwed as they can pin point your position
They can tell that the phone was being used, but not that she was on it. They might be able to tell where the phone was roughly, but it could have been in use by a passenger. Nowhere near the level of evidence that would be required to secure a conviction for driving without due care.
Old 02 April 2009, 01:44 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

I just back from a short walk from the shops and just counted 7 drivers on their mobiles.
There must be something that can be done with these inconsiderate drivers.
Old 02 April 2009, 03:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No reason why a passenger can't use the mobile of course. Never justification for the driver to do so though.

Les
Old 02 April 2009, 05:28 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You should have asked if her driving would be any better with the phone shoved up her ***.

It makes my blood boil. I never answer my phone when I am driving. Whoever is calling can wait until I get to where I am going. Nothing is that important
Old 02 April 2009, 05:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=84of300;8617279]You should have asked if her driving would be any better with the phone shoved up her ***.
QUOTE]

Imagine how that would sound in court, sobbing woman, claiming to be acosted by a man, in black Lycra like a 6ft Slug , sunglasses, snot dripping from his nose, breathing heavily asking if he could stick a, she didnt quite hear it correctly but it sounded like "Bony Erection" up her delicate pampered poop chute in broad daylight.
Old 02 April 2009, 05:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

just seen a woman with 2 phones on her lap as she came in, she looks like she is transfering numbers from one phone to the other LOL!
Old 02 April 2009, 07:40 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO
ten year old boy driving a car coming the other way, it turned out to be a Mustang and was left hand drive
That recently happened to me, car was approaching and i thought **** there's no driver but then realised it was a left hand drive
Old 02 April 2009, 08:58 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

didnt you know when they sell amini they throw in a free pink phone and some araldite to stick it to your head when driving !!

the amount of times ive been nearly taken out by a mini or 205 cc diving dumb bitch .

now i just swervw into them and watch them in my rear view mirror flapping and swerving all over the road . i know its wrong but they do **** themselves . might teach them a small lesson . or prob not as their brainspan is only 3 secs and they are back thinking about ugg boots and lip gloss !

Quick Reply: Mobile use when driving