Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tenancy agreement renewal

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 02:36 PM
baser999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tenancy agreement renewal

My sons tenancy agreement has come up for renewal and the letting agents are asking for an 'admin fee' of £90 - he's asked what its for and been told its for preparing a new agreement etc. The agreement they sent him is a copy of last years save for new dates! Sounds like a rip-off to me. They reckon he'd agreed and signed to this when he took on the tenanacy last year but surprise surprise can't now produce a copy of that signed document. Needless to say he's not happy to pay their fee - after all they've done nothing by way of preparing a new agreement and can't back up their claims that he's agreed to this.Its his belief the landlord is responsible for any such agreement. Any thoughts?
Old 31 March 2009, 02:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a tenant's market at present, tell them if they don't drop their fee then their client will have no tenant. And whilst he's at it, tell them he wants a reduction in rent.
Old 31 March 2009, 02:45 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

The few rental places I've had it's always moved onto a rolling monthly agreement once the initial period is out of the way (i.e. 6 or 12 months). No admin fees or anything else.

Once into the rolling agreement you had to give 1 months notice if you wanted to move out and the landlord had to give you 2 months if they wanted you out (unless you weren't paying etc.).

Sounds like they have prepared a new 6/12 month agreement which does effectively give you greater security.

Would still tell them to shove the admin fee though
Old 31 March 2009, 03:26 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It is a tenant's market at present, tell them if they don't drop their fee then their client will have no tenant. And whilst he's at it, tell them he wants a reduction in rent.
Spot - on ..... inform them that you want a reduction in the monthly rent AND expect the Admin. Fee to be removed immediately!

There are Landlords begging for Tennants!
Old 31 March 2009, 04:03 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
The few rental places I've had it's always moved onto a rolling monthly agreement once the initial period is out of the way (i.e. 6 or 12 months). No admin fees or anything else.

Once into the rolling agreement you had to give 1 months notice if you wanted to move out and the landlord had to give you 2 months if they wanted you out (unless you weren't paying etc.).

Sounds like they have prepared a new 6/12 month agreement which does effectively give you greater security.

Would still tell them to shove the admin fee though
Same here, never had an admin fee slapped on me when renewing a tennancy agreement, tell them to sod off as the others have said.
They're probably trying this with all their clients on renewal now, nice little earner for them.
Old 31 March 2009, 07:36 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

contract renewal fee is bog standard on let properties, i think we pay £50 every renewal. They will have told you at the time of signing the contract in the first place (they legaly have to). You can argue the toss if you like, but even if they do change it, when the economy picks up and prices jump, there gonna be more enclined to turn round and jack the prices up on you and your gonna be stuffed.
Old 31 March 2009, 08:28 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt be surprised if the Landlord is also taking it up the "Dirter" ,paying the letting agent a fee for having you renew for another six months .!!!

Most are Estate Agents you know .!!! Not shy about taking you money !!!!
Old 31 March 2009, 08:55 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

I rent out a house and what your son is being asked for is legitimate assuming he was told up front, and there has been a change / variance of terms and conditions over the let period. To be honest I quote £20 and never charge any of my tennants assuming they have been okay with me ( no hassle, pay on time, etc. ). At the very least I would tell your son to try an negotiate the fee.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:40 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

He doesn'#t have to sign a new agreemnet. If he refuses it automatically goes onto a rolling monthly tenancy. The lanlord can't simply evict you (or your son) and if he's been a good tenant then the landlord wouldn't want to. All it does is give the tenant the sense of security that they will be staying "X" number of months but it also means that the lanlord or agents know they have a tenant in the property.

Tell them to stick their admin fee where it hurts!

For the record, wifey has a prtfolio of properties that she/we rent out and we never charge a fee.