Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Laptop DOA

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 11:34 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop DOA

New Lenovo SL300 dead as a doornail on arrival from Laptopsdirect. Sending out a courier to pick it up tomorrow and will send us another but a bit of a pain in the ****. They seemed to "forget" to send the extra memory I ordered too. Hmmm...
Old 30 March 2009, 12:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Are they the ones that advertise on boards on side of the road?

They do tvs's aswell as a customers had bought a 46" plasma that was doa so was his 2nd and when he asked for his money back they wouldn't
Old 30 March 2009, 12:19 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Distance selling regulations are a wonderful thing... just remember your rights to a total refund and that you don't need to pay for postage
Old 30 March 2009, 12:20 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antc
They do tvs's aswell as a customers had bought a 46" plasma that was doa so was his 2nd and when he asked for his money back they wouldn't
Yeah, my experience of Lenovo's is that they are a bit cack in the first place. Never bought one for myself but had the misfortune of working on a couple of laptops we bought for the staff, horrible things. Nice n cheap though.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:33 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It's probably done you a favour. If it wasn't DOA, it'd almost certainly be dead within 12 months. We stopped buying Lenovos very quickly and now only use HP or Dell.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:43 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Quite odd - Lenovo are IBM laptops and generally very praised for their quality. I sold IBM laptops ages ago (before they changed their name - as well as other brands) and they were always well regarded. All reviews I have read says how well made they are (the reviews for this one are all almost full marks). Sure you aren't mixing them up with another brand?!

I have rated Acer and Lenovo as the best for quite some time.

http://www.itreviewed.co.uk/rev.php?id=851

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/com...-491773/review

Anyway, it's been dealt with okay so far. Sending a courier tomorrow to pick it up then will send out another. The memory arrived an hour later - bizarre!

Last edited by Matteeboy; 30 March 2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought lenovos are just rebadged IBM,s when IBM pulled out of the market

Lenovo built them when badged IBM -- I had one when working on a project last year, I thought it was quite good

I have always liked there slight chunky but functional appearance

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 March 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:53 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Quite odd - Lenovo are IBM laptops and generally very praised for their quality. I sold IBM laptops ages ago (before they changed their name - as well as other brands) and they were always well regarded. All reviews I have read says how well made they are (the reviews for this one are all almost full marks). Sure you aren't mixing them up with another brand?!

I have rated Acer and Lenovo as the best for quite some time.

Computer hardware and software reviews from ITreviewed

Lenovo ThinkPad SL300 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Laptops

Anyway, it's been dealt with okay so far. Sending a courier tomorrow to pick it up then will send out another. The memory arrived an hour later - bizarre!
Yeah, I know what you're saying, I've used the old ones and they did fine. But every new Lenovo I have used has just been cack and a pain to repair. We stopped buying them at work after the first two failed. I'd definitely rate the Acer's higher than the Lenovo's.
That's just the experience I've had.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:54 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

I wont be using Laptopsdirect again, order a laptop for a customer on wednesday last week for delivery thursday. Phoned to ask before ordering, "is it in stock". Was told "Yes". Got an email at lunch time thursday, "Sorry its not in Stock"

To55ers!
Old 30 March 2009, 12:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Oh bu66er - thought I was ordering a decentish machine. I will see how the replacement works and make sure I'm fully covered.

Currently working on an Acer Travelmate 5720 that I've had for a bit under a year and it's excellent - we needed something a bit smaller this time and the Lenovo fitted the bill. Fingers crossed. It's replacing a small (12.1") laptop made by an unknown brand Averatec - they may be unknown but it's performed flawlessly for 4 years now without issues. Just getting a bit slow now.
Old 30 March 2009, 01:05 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Oh bu66er - thought I was ordering a decentish machine. I will see how the replacement works and make sure I'm fully covered.

Currently working on an Acer Travelmate 5720 that I've had for a bit under a year and it's excellent - we needed something a bit smaller this time and the Lenovo fitted the bill. Fingers crossed. It's replacing a small (12.1") laptop made by an unknown brand Averatec - they may be unknown but it's performed flawlessly for 4 years now without issues. Just getting a bit slow now.
Fingers crossed! It might be ok, let us know how it goes anyway
Old 30 March 2009, 01:30 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Lenovo took over building the old IBM Thinkpads (very good machines). The deal included them using the IBM badging for so many years after the deal (5 or 8, can't remember which) which has either now run out or is about to, however the current underlying designs are not IBM, they're 100% Lenovo. There was also a deal on IBM buying Lenovo laptops exclusively for an amount of time which is also due to run out. If you know anyone at IBM, ask them if they will be continuing to use Lenovo...
Old 30 March 2009, 01:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Rev. Now I'm slightly depressed...

It does look nice though and has holes in the bottom to drain liquid should you spray coffee on it after reading one of Swiss Tony's jokes...
Old 30 March 2009, 01:44 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I am using the T61p mobile workstation, thankfully this beast is up to the IBM spec of the old T60p so build quality, performance and reliability is solid.

I know with the other models it's not the case judging by the info on forum.thinkpads.com • Index page forum, seems only the top end models were built to the IBM spec and the other models were all new Lenovo design.

Still some of the best laptops I have used and I have gone through a fair few brands (Dell are utter ****e imo), only thing that came close to performance, quality and reliability to my older Thinkpads were the Acer laptops.
Old 30 March 2009, 01:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I do rate Acer - mine is very good and mag alloy so tough.
Will see how I get on. TBH, the response has been okay so far. I usually judge a company more by it's way of dealing with problems than initial contact and sending of a product - which anyone can get right if they have half a brain.
Old 30 March 2009, 07:21 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Go on buy a MacBook........ you know it makes sense!
I resisted for years but haven't looked back.
Old 30 March 2009, 07:26 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Matt, I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 to type this.

Cheap keyboard, cheap plastics, screen has "play" in it. My old T51 feels much better quality (proper IBM).

Buy cheap buy twice, didn't you learn that with the RC car
Old 30 March 2009, 07:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Well my Acer was cheap and has performed flawlessly. As did our Averatec. I did look into it quite a bit- the one that arrived seemed pretty solid. But dead. And there are far cheaper out there. Doesn't need to be anything fancy - just a business machine that runs a few programs at once and has a decent sized HD for images.

Oh and the RC car is now running fine. I'm having a steel spur gear custom made for it as it seems to like eating the plastic ones that the manufacturer makes. In the meantime, it's great fun!

But as usual, thanks for the input.