Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Moving to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2002, 08:16 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I need some advice in a couple of areas as regards moving to the Good 'ole USofA. Here goes -

My girlfriend lives out in Dallas and its possible that it could be becoming a permanent relationship i.e here comes the bride etc! Question is, if I tie the knot what hurdles do I face being allowed into the States? What sort of visa do i have to apply for and if so what's the waiting time etc

Next thing is, that if my company cannot transfer me then I'm looking at trying to get 6months conntract work out there while I find a permanent job. Does anybody now of any sites that arrange contracting on this basis?

All advice gratefully received!

DP.
Old 27 February 2002, 12:25 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

Everything you need is here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/ivindex.htm
Old 27 February 2002, 04:32 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers John!!!

DP.
Old 27 February 2002, 12:42 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Wink

Phil - I'm married to a US citizen, we live in Britain, and our first (dual national) child is due this weekend, so I'll be looking at my options regarding US Green Card too - will post back here if I find anything out but it'll be a few weeks yet.

Simon.
Old 27 February 2002, 12:55 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys,

I would be also intersted in the outcome as I am in the same situation as Simon.

Andy
Old 27 February 2002, 01:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

This interests me as well, as the company has a US office, which I've been 'commuting' to from the UK, every few months, and I've more or less been told I can go to the USA on a permanant basis if I wish.

Visa is ok as it would be work visa, this I know as the other chaps here have them.

But what about taxes (it's all self assement over there is it not?) Healthcare? (I'm asthmatic - so need medication).

Old 27 February 2002, 01:34 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate, I've got a friend who married a girl in Arizona and moved over there.

He hasn't been here for 3 years because he still hasn't got his paperwork sorted out (he's worried that if he comes here, they won't let him back).

From what I can gather you have to jump through hoops and wait a long, long time for things to progress.

Matt

Old 27 February 2002, 03:32 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I tried the 'commuting' bit a while ago. Was a pain the **** every 3 months (you can do it to Canada too I believe). Applied for a 6 month visa from the us embassy so my 'commutes' were less frequent and they wouldn't give me one. Went back to the embassy for an interview with some immigration officer, I was fully supported with documentation from my work that I needed to be over there but they wouldn't give me a visa because I was only 22 and I needed something like 8 years work experience in the job I was doing.. *****. You're only allowed to apply for a visa twice in a year? (I think) so that was that.. lost my job cos of it.

Oh well. at least I don't have to deal with yanks everyday

Old 27 February 2002, 03:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I should be ok for visa, have worked for company in same position for at least 7+ years, plus no yank has the knowledge and experience I have, neither do many people, just the way the job goes!

Think INS are getting a bit 'interested' in my comings and goings, thing I've been told is that if they 'bounce' you out of the USA then it's usually a five year ban! and that's regardless of wether you'd be coming back for business or pleasure.

oh well, I'd have to relocate to Canada then
Old 27 February 2002, 04:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i was offered a job back in 93 in the USA but because i dont have a degree i couldnt get a visa.

If you do live there as a UK citizen working for a US company you pay US taxes but British NI, you still get your UK tax relief too.

It's all rather complicated
Old 27 February 2002, 04:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmm, I've not got a degree, so won't they let me have a visa? or can I just say I have experience that cannot be matched.
Old 27 February 2002, 05:01 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

As far as I remember 8 years (or it might be 6) years experience was the same as a degree. I could be wrong. It was about 10 years ago I did all that...

When I was there I just got paid as normal into my uk bank account and just used my Visa to pay for everything...the bad thing is I was at the mercy of the exchange rate. If I remember correctly it dropped about 30cents when I was there :-(

One of the blokes I went over with won a Visa in the Irish lottery (lucky sod). I think being vaguely irish really helps trying to get a visa.. Just change your name to Paddy and you should be sorted
Old 27 February 2002, 07:02 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the advice guys - and for all those looking to possibly move let us know how you get on and good luck!

I'm off to Dallas in April and the temptation to disappear is pretty big!!..........

DP.