Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Alcohol up ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2009, 10:40 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad that all they see as a way of combatting this is price hike, not education and a change of attitude. Some might conclude that this is to raise more tax...
Old 16 March 2009, 10:45 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it saves one life then it's worth it...

This idiocy set me thinking at the weekend. With over 50% of the UK's population dying in bed it's about time they raised taxes on beds or even better still, banned them altogether. That way, people wouldn't die in bed.

It would make a great soundbite for the government - when we came to power over 50% of people in the UK died in beds, now virtually none do.

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 16 March 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The authorities are saying that they would not impose a minimum price because they say it would be unfair on the majority of sensible drinkers. And it might affect the vote!

Les
Old 16 March 2009, 11:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I do not see why i or any sensible drinkers should pay more because some idiots do not know their limits or take responsibility for their actions.

What next, put us all in prison in case we commit crimes, just in case me might!

People make thier own choices and people need to take responsibility and understand the effects of their actions and taxing/increasing the price is simply not the answer to this!

More pi$$ poor government...
Old 16 March 2009, 11:16 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Asda currently have 660ml bottles of Stella at £1.27
Old 16 March 2009, 11:35 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another 30p to get rat-arsed
Old 16 March 2009, 12:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Now I wonder why us mortals on mainland europe who have access to cheap alcohol 24/7 are not all binge drinking, drunk yobbos who need to keep having our alcohol taxed higher and higher
Old 16 March 2009, 01:17 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Now I wonder why us mortals on mainland europe who have access to cheap alcohol 24/7 are not all binge drinking, drunk yobbos who need to keep having our alcohol taxed higher and higher
Too busy playing with your sausages ...

Steve
Old 16 March 2009, 01:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think its a reasonable idea, if it stops kids buying booze, or as much booze, in reality it will only really effect the really cheap and alcoholic stuff that only attracts winos and kids in the park, Frosty Jack Cider anyone ?

A can of Stella is about 2 units, so will cost a quid, I can afford that, I sometimes pay more if I go to the local shop, might make me thing a bit more as tobe honest its so cheap its easy to buy rucks of it and stick it in the fridge and just keep having a few. My dad never bought crates of beer when I was a kid, he would buy four cans occasionally and have one or two, I buy 12 and end up drinking 4 or 5 in a night.

Ok, the continetals can halde it but they tend not to have the stupid attitude to booze we have over here, they dont seem to get into fights, they seem to have a couple of glasses and leave it at that rather than drinking all night and then turfing out at 2 am for a pitched battle in a town centre, falling over, fighting, p1ssing in the street.

If you drink sensibly, 21 units for blokes I beleive it will cost you £10.50 at 50p per unit, hardly extortinate, booze has got to cheap and too accesible, something needs to be done to take the edge off the booze culture.

Ok, we are paying a little more for our drinks, even if it doesnt work its a few pence, if it does its a lot cheaper than sorting someones fooked up liver, smashed teeth, broken ankle, battered wife or 13 year old having his stomach pumped.
Old 16 March 2009, 02:01 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

If this is actually aimed at kids sitting around drinking in parks, how about properly enforcing existing laws and shutting down off-licenses that sell to underage drinkers, or at the very least revoking their license? A few more bobbies on the beat policing parks and confiscating booze? Prosecuting parents of kids who are persistently out getting found drunk in the street? Educating kids to give them something more than the weekend to live for?

I doubt that many kids buy their own alcohol, they just take it from home or get their folks to buy it for them. How will raising the price really affect things? It's all b*llocks. Reduce the tax on beer in pubs, less people would buy beer for home consumption, kids would find it harder to get access to alcohol at home, pubs would stay in business, everyone's a winner!
Old 16 March 2009, 02:05 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Our Government thinks a problem heavily taxed is a problem solved!
Old 16 March 2009, 02:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Kids all have to commit another robbery to score there white lightening now
Old 16 March 2009, 02:14 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Bend over and prepare to be taxed by Gordon. Again.
Old 16 March 2009, 02:17 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Bend over and prepare to be taxed by Gordon. Again.
Yep more easy money under the guise of our health and welfare!