Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Subsidence

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2009, 09:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subsidence

Our house insurance is due, last year we paid £860 and we have been paying a similar for a few years, ever since my wife rang them and said a crack had developed in the bay at the front of the house, I had asked the builder over the road who said it was due to a dry summer, the tree in front had drawn what moisture it could from the ground and because the bay doesnt have proper footings its moved a bit, he would charge £400 to put some new ties in and re-mortar it.

the crack is still there as the insurance did two things, firstly hiked the premium by three times what it was and had an engineers report done with measuring done over a few visits, he then said that it was due to the tree drawing mositure, it would need new ties and re-mortaring and this would cost about £400 to do, however you may as well get your local builder to do it as your excess is £400 !!!!

So, I have been paying this for ages now at this inflated price as the house has "Subsidence", that is a broad term that can mean something collapsing and the slight crack we saw which incidentally went back to about 1.5 mm.

I feel a little aggreived that I am paying so much extra for what is a minimal risk that they didnt even pay out on so I am wondering what I can do, is it like having a bump in your car where after a certain length of time you dont have to mention it, on Moneysupermarket I get quotes of about £300 but if I mention the S word I get no quotes !

I wouldnt mind paying a little more and ackonledge it but treble seems a bit excessive.
Old 08 March 2009, 09:28 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens if you shell out the £400, is it not OK then and subject to a normal policy...you'd get your money back in a year.
Old 09 March 2009, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of the problem J4CKO. Subsidence is a word to strike fear into the hearts of occupiers and insurers alike. Sounds like they are being unfair to you and are using the excuse to rip you off as usual. Makes you wonder if you would have been better to have let it fall down and then claim off them.

Maybe it is better to let the builder do it and pay him yourself and find another insurance company since you would not have to mention it after the repair job.

Les
Old 09 March 2009, 01:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a tough one, do I mention it, its been several years since, wasnt at all serious and Ihave paid for it many times over, its so minor I havent bothered getting it done, its just the missus panicing and ringing them.
Old 09 March 2009, 01:17 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i can give you a no. of our builder get him to do you a letter and send it to the insurance companies.