Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2013, 12:15 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default House insurance

Just got some quotes as its due and it's only 200 or so, we are paying 500 as my wife went to them years ago about a small crack that appeared in an unsupported bay after a dry summer, we ended up not getting a penny, it isn't a real problem but insurers run a mile as now has a subsidence marker despite it being due to the tree in front draining all the water during the drought.

So, we ended up finding Adrian Flux would insure minus a subsidence risk for 500 a year, we were paying a grand, i am not remotely worried about and subsidence risk as it isn't a subsidence area so really should any insurer cover us as long as we stipulate no subsidence cover, I.e. actually less risk as it rules out that possibility at all for them, 500 seems excessive but has anyone had any experience of excluding risks like this ?
Old 09 January 2013, 01:02 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had something similar in our last house. Large crack appeared between the main house and the extension.

I was worried it was subsidence so called the insurance company. I spoke to them about it and there was a whole procedure to go through. But they started this procedure and paperwork was sent out.

At the same time I rang a couple of builders and got them to look at it. They both agreed it was simple movement.

Rang the insurance company back and said don't both with the subsidence claim.

Next year tried to renew the insurance with a different company (cheaper) and it was showing as having a claim against subsidence.

In the end I went back to the original house insurer as the cost was only few quid difference and worked with them to remove the claim flag.

However I was miffed that although the claim was never progressed it showed up against the house. The original insurer was able to remove it, but only because I called them (several times) to do that. In fact I remembered that they marked it as a claim "in error" or something similar, so it wasn't actually removed as such.

We've moved on - I wonder if the new owners get loads of problems?

Last edited by Miniman; 09 January 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09 January 2013, 01:50 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I also had a similar thing.... our garden fence blew down - a great long stretch...

I rang the insurance company just to enquire if it was covered (it was'nt)... no probs, just thought I'd check...

Years later ring them again due to a proper claim, and they said they can see we had a claim on our policy!!, we had never claimed a single thing ever...

You only have to fecking *enquire* about something and it gets flagged as a claim/risk.
The loss adjuster from the company told me that in person, when we had a burst pipe damage claim, and I asked about it.

Thats with RSA (Royal Sun Alliance)

Robbing Barstewards...
Old 09 January 2013, 09:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got another quote £375, better than the £402, but it seemed like it was more due to interest at 15 percent !