Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Optician advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2009, 10:33 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Optician advice please.

Just need a bit of advice/opinion. I've recently had a eye test with a Boots opticians. Went through all the tests and had a retinal photo to determine the health of my eyes. The results were that my eyes were very healthy and have no problems with my vision. However, I do a lot of work involving looking at VDU screens for most of the time and they still recommend that I wear glasses.

My prescription is:
Sphere
L eye: 0.00
R eye: 0.00

Cylinder
L eye: -1.25
R eye: -1.25

Axis
L eye: 95
R eye: 90

Visial accuity
L eye: 6/5
R eye: 6/5

If my vision is perfect, why are they still recommending that I wear glasses? They stated that it was to reduce eye strain, but seeing how much frames and lenses costs, I'm a bit dubious as to whether they just want to squeeze a bit more money out of me. Ok, some of the text in the tests were clearer with lenses, but I could still read them without the lenses.

My main worry is if I where to wear theses glasses regularly for long periods, would it affect/deteriorate my normal vision without the glasses? Thanks.

Jon

Last edited by jonc; 08 March 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08 March 2009, 10:39 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a start, if you do VDU work then you should've got a voucher for a free eye test, AND if you only need glasses for work then you can get your employers to pay towards them

VDU Work and the Hazards to Health - Chapter 2: Eyes and vision
If you are using a PC as part of your job, you may be entitled to financial help for eye tests and money for, or towards a pair of glasses if your eyesight starts to be affected by your job.

Employers are required by law to provide, or meet the cost of, eye care tests and/or corrective glasses for VDU use for their employees. From 6 April 2006 an employer can provide these benefits by means of a voucher without triggering a taxable benefit in kind.

Extensive research has found no substantial evidence that VDU's can cause disease and permanent damage to eyes. However, long spells of VDU work can lead to tired eyes and discomfort. Coupled with this, the fact that your eyes are being given more demanding tasks might make you more aware of an existing eyesight problem that you hadn't noticed before. You and your employer can help your eyes by ensuring your VDU is well positioned and properly adjusted, and that the workplace lighting is suitable.

The heat generated by computers and other equipment can make the air seem drier, and some contact lens wearers find this uncomfortable. If you are suffering from this problem but have no wish to change to wearing spectacles, you can try blinking more often or using tear-substitute drops. Where the air is dry, employers can help by taking steps to increase the humidity.

People with bifocal spectacles may find them less than ideal for VDU work. It is important to be able to see the screen easily without having to raise or lower your head. If you can't work comfortably with bifocals, you may need a different type of spectacles. If you are in any doubt, consult your optician or doctor.

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 08 March 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08 March 2009, 11:05 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I've taken advantage of the work supplied eye test voucher and also have a £55 spectacle voucher. Just curious as to why I'm recommended to use glasses when my sight is perfect.
Old 08 March 2009, 04:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Just found this eye sight test that confirms my sight is perfect. Spotted the difference in under 2 seconds too.

Test your Eyesight!
Old 08 March 2009, 06:56 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some new glasses too. Have you seen any good deals for varifocals out there? They don't half mark up a few bits of plastic! I can get a complicated electronic, proper polished glass based lens for my camera cheaper!!!

Anyone used glasses direct.com ?

D