Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My electric bill is really high again, what do you all pay ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 07:27 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My electric bill is really high again, what do you all pay ?

I got my electric bill though this morning and I was glad I was sat down when I opened it although I have complained before something wasn't right as they are always so high. This time its £660.27 for Nov 08 through to Feb 09 !
I live in a normal 3 bed semi, I have the normal white goods all A rated, low energy bulbs, we do have lap tops and games consoles etc but then so does 90% of the UK now. I've turned off the ond pump last year, no longer heat the greenhouse, got rid of a lot of security lights outside. I do have a marine tank but I bought a plug in the wall checker to see what that uses per day and it worked out to about £20 per month.. I've been complaining that £100 a month direct debit was big last time around but now I need to pay £200 over to cover it, its crazy surely.. The woman said they done a daily checker on my meter and it said Ive used the units so need to pay so I did, today..
What do you all pay per month or quarter as I'm considering going to citzens advise or somewhere although not too sure what would be my best option, maybe yours are the same ? . I wouldn't mind if I had a no cannabis farms going or something..
Old 06 March 2009, 07:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

does it do your heating and cooking aswell

or do you have oil/gas central heating
Old 06 March 2009, 07:34 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naughtyhunnybunny
I got my electric bill though this morning and I was glad I was sat down when I opened it although I have complained before something wasn't right as they are always so high. This time its £660.27 for Nov 08 through to Feb 09 !
I live in a normal 3 bed semi, I have the normal white goods all A rated, low energy bulbs, we do have lap tops and games consoles etc but then so does 90% of the UK now. I've turned off the ond pump last year, no longer heat the greenhouse, got rid of a lot of security lights outside. I do have a marine tank but I bought a plug in the wall checker to see what that uses per day and it worked out to about £20 per month.. I've been complaining that £100 a month direct debit was big last time around but now I need to pay £200 over to cover it, its crazy surely.. The woman said they done a daily checker on my meter and it said Ive used the units so need to pay so I did, today..
What do you all pay per month or quarter as I'm considering going to citzens advise or somewhere although not too sure what would be my best option, maybe yours are the same ? . I wouldn't mind if I had a no cannabis farms going or something..
2 bedroom flat with loads and loads of electrical goods on the go and it's about £30 per month. Yours does sound a bit on the high side tbh.
Old 06 March 2009, 07:35 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Yep, I use elec for cooking but not for heating or hot water, all that is gas That gas bill was £667 for 6 months, also arrived this morning !
Old 06 March 2009, 07:42 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Same circumstances as you and our last 1/4 was £300 for both
Old 06 March 2009, 07:57 PM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

you haven't left the emersion heater on have you?
Old 06 March 2009, 07:58 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Have you had your meter recently replaced? There was a mix up shown on TV where they were applying the Imperial rather than metric measurement, hence huge increases.
Old 06 March 2009, 08:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Our gas bill was just shy of 700 this quarter, and the leccy was 220.
Just wish I could teach my mother that you can manually turn the heating on, and opening the backdoor is NOT the way to do it. Doh!
Old 06 March 2009, 08:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

mmm that does sound high to be honest

I had a similiar problem in our house in London (its quite a big house) when we rented it I had to reconsile the usage with a final bill, turns out we were 3k adrift

I took a reading every day at 8am for a week kept the results, spoke to LEB and they sent a guy round to check our appliances etc
Old 06 March 2009, 08:12 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Nope, emersion not on, I checked that.

The meter was changed by my previous provider (southern gas who I had both electric and gas from) as when I moved in in was a key meter which I thought at the time ate the electric but nothing like this, (going back nearly 3 years and it was 50 a month) I'm now with Southern electric, also for both.. They insist there is nothing wrong with the meter but like you said, its so high although one bloke who came out said he thought I had one digit too many but the next bloke dismissed this and said it was fine. Just wanted to make sure before I go to the CAB i'm not over reacting, I take it the CAB would be my 1st port of call ? I expected the gas to high as 30% rise last year but over 600 quid electric, not amused.
Old 06 March 2009, 08:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

to put it in perspective our 4 bed detached house has no gas central heating

so all cooking heating (hotwater) is leccy and our bill is 677.00
Old 06 March 2009, 08:21 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

i'm stumped, I too done that, took a reading for a week at the same time every day for the elecy people, they didn't offer to send anyone though, i asked today if there was someone who could advise and she said they could send someone to check the meter but if there was nothing wrong with it I would get charged another £75.00.
I also bought one of those plugs that you then plug your appliance into to see if its over using and how many units/watts it uses and still I can't work out whats using so much. Looks like you are not using no where near as much as me, something has to be wrong somewhere ?
Old 06 March 2009, 08:22 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

This sounds ridiculously high to be honest .There must be something wrong somewhere .
My gas /electric combined per month is about £110 ,went over this last period nov-feb like you but I think the total was about £500 ish for both .(4 bed bungalow,not fantastically insulated ).

Do you do lots of cooking ,shower for 1/2 hr a time ,have lots of downlighters ,leave security lights on all night ,etc ?
If no to these you need to get it investigated thoroughly .
Good Luck .Let us know how you get on .
Old 06 March 2009, 08:23 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Meant to say I'm in the south, in Hampshire... Don't know if there is a massive difference in costs across the country ?
Old 06 March 2009, 08:29 PM
GStar
Scooby Regular

That doesn't sound right - I'm £35 a month for electric but doesn't include heating or hob. Gas for these is another £40 a month and that's for a 4 bedroom. Better get it checked out.....
Old 06 March 2009, 08:30 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

I'll def let you know how i get on, especially after listening to how much your all paying. I'm going to make an app next week at the CAB and see who I need to speak to I think so I can take it further.. The house is well insulated in the walls and roof, I do use the oven every day though and i do shower every day too, in fact the shower is probably on in total for 20 mins every day if I'm honest as there are more than one using it.
Weird isn't it, I'll have to just be more to the point when I talk to these people, more force full..
Thanks so much
Old 06 March 2009, 08:34 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

I'll def let you know how i get on, especially after listening to how much your all paying. I'm going to make an app next week at the CAB and see who I need to speak to I think so I can take it further.. The house is well insulated in the walls and roof, I do use the oven every day though and i do shower every day too, in fact the shower is probably on in total for 20 mins every day if I'm honest as there are more than one using it.
Weird isn't it, I'll have to just be more to the point when I talk to these people, more force full..
Thanks so much
Hope you come out with a decent result from this. I've had to watch these swine really closely since I found out I was paying nearly double what I should be, a few months ago.

All the best,

Tom
Old 06 March 2009, 08:37 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Christ Tom, how comes you were paying double the amount?
I'll let you all know how this progresses although I betit'll take ages to get anywhere with this shower ?
Old 06 March 2009, 08:48 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Christ Tom, how comes you were paying double the amount?
They just said they had done their usual guesstimate which ended up being closer to that of a 3/4 bedroom detached (compared it with some of the other users on here in a similar thread a while back).
I gave my supplier the proper readings and then moved over to doing everything online only.
Did some other kind of insurance thing with them for my white goods (cost me about £10 for all 7 appliances) and all of that reduced my bills for gas and electric significantly. I'm with British Gas btw, down in manicly expensive Surrey
Really does sound like your suppliers have been messing you around though, unless there's some kind of issue at your pad.
Give 'em hell!
Old 06 March 2009, 09:02 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pay £88 pm for gas and £86 pm for elec - 3 bed house
Old 06 March 2009, 09:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

To the o.p. that does sound really high.

I'm still on token meters (so I know what I'm paying and no nasty add ons like quarterly or d/d). Currently since switching from British Gas to Southern Electric, I put about £15 a week on my electric (so about £180-200 max a quarter), and similar for my gas. 3 bedroomed terraced with shoddy insulation, and probably all grade G uneconomical appliances

Something doesn't sound right there...
Old 06 March 2009, 09:06 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I steal mine so it's free. feel sorry for the nextdoor neighbours though
Old 06 March 2009, 09:11 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Maybe I'd best check on the neighbours, maybe we have a couple of greedy 80 year olds livin next door?
Old 06 March 2009, 09:21 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Holy crap!!

Do you leave the heating on 24/7 or what?
Or are you one of these people that has all the lights on in every room, tvs on with no one watching them etc.

I was swearing when I got a mine the other day for £280, for gas and elec.

I live in a 3 bed house .
Old 06 March 2009, 09:29 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I'd best check on the neighbours, maybe we have a couple of greedy 80 year olds livin next door?

Probably got a hydroponic cannabis farm spurred off your supply, all for "medicinal" purposes of course.

seriously though I have come across a few situations where the neighbours have been paying for next doors electric. Mainly in houses converted to flats, but with all these foreign electricians these days who knows
Old 06 March 2009, 09:31 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

4bed detached,

Just paid my 1/4 Gas and electric combined bill for the last 3mths at £334. Live in the north of Scotland so probably a little colder than down your end.

Something wrong somewhere.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:39 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something really wrong there

I live in a really big 4 bedroomed detached and pay £79 for electric and £39 for gas

well insulated land energy saving bulbs although Misses is always watching tv and we have a big range cooker and I think the electric is dear as it was £61 a month

think your electric is going to your neighbours house canibas farm
Old 06 March 2009, 09:43 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I just got my bills

4 bed, 2 adults, 4 kids, and its 102 per month for electric and 92 a month for gas

Both with British Gas, I think mine is expensive
Old 06 March 2009, 10:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lordharding

think your electric is going to your neighbours house canibas farm
LOL, that was my thought too. Ours is a 3 bed semi and I've been paying £69 for both and I'm just breaking even. I've been quiet stingy this winter with gas as its been much more expensive than the gas (cooking and heating though)

I did leave it very low and had to pay £140 per month for 6 months to catch up.

Have the got the meter reading right?
Old 06 March 2009, 10:16 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

yep you need to stop growing the weed

Quick Reply: My electric bill is really high again, what do you all pay ?