Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

AA cover on untaxed and MOT vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 12:10 AM
p1diddy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AA cover on untaxed and MOT vehicle

I have just had a car broken down and the tax and MOT has just expired now, I currently have AA cover though was already thinking of upgrading to AA relay (delivers vehicle to anywhere in the UK) until this happened, would they refuse to move the vehicle since it was no MOT and Tax?

I have heard a friend do this before but it does seem a bit cheeky. Any ideas? Thanks

Duncan
Old 06 March 2009, 12:30 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Were you "risking it" on the road ?? If you were, you are better off dragging it with a tractor or something to the MOT garage. I don't think AA will help you. Let me correct myself, they "shouldn't" help you. Not being funny, mate. But a car without MOT and roadtax shouldn't be on the road (to carry on, or to break down), full stop.

Unless your borken down car is on your drive, and you have the AA cover to cover includes "on your drive" breakdown too. Then as well, without MOT and roadtax, AA may refuse to sort it, me thinks

I have a second idea
Aren't you allowed a few days after your roadtax expires? If you do, then AA should be able to help. Just tell them everything with full honestly, and see what they say. BTW, mates may do lots of cheeky things. It doesn't mean you have to do them.

Hope you sort it
Old 06 March 2009, 12:47 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They wont move a car without tax, I tried to get them to tow a car home from the car auctions for me once, they came out saw there was no tax and told me to sling my hook
Old 06 March 2009, 03:17 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1diddy
I have just had a car broken down and the tax and MOT has just expired now, I currently have AA cover though was already thinking of upgrading to AA relay (delivers vehicle to anywhere in the UK) until this happened, would they refuse to move the vehicle since it was no MOT and Tax?

I have heard a friend do this before but it does seem a bit cheeky. Any ideas? Thanks

Duncan
Certainly not, no. The same happened to me when I was taking an old Porsche for MOT, when the DME relay failed and they relayed me with a (forced) smile.
Old 06 March 2009, 05:46 AM
p1diddy
Scooby Newbie

Car was still drivable but seemed to have a problem which driving anymore could lead to more problems, Car ironically was on it's last day of MOT, and Tax but luckily it was close to a friends so i left it there, have been busy so i couldn't deal with it, not that it mattered as i wouldn't of sorted it on the night.

I just want to move the car back to my own mechanic rather then some garage but the tow would cost a fair bit. Would they come out to look at the vehicle if the same applies then? I wouldn't risk driving the car without it being legal hence me asking the question.

Thank you for the replies
Old 06 March 2009, 05:54 AM
p1diddy
Scooby Newbie

Reason i ask is my friend experienced this with the RAC with a vehicle which was off road due to a big crash and they still move it for him. The car in question was without tax and MOT.
Old 06 March 2009, 10:04 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i think its circumstances dependent really

depends who you get on the phone and who turns up and how you "explain" your situation

our familly Landcruiser's TAX ran out end of Feb, and we only taxed it yesterday, so technically a few days without tax, if it had needed AA assistance during those days, with my wife driving with 5 kids in the car and the AA turned and said "sorry no tax no help", i'd be pretty fvcking pissed off