Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drugs and sport cheats

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 08:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Drugs and sport cheats

it seems that the new WADA availability rules have annoyed some high profile sportsman (Nadal Murray)

but is it because they are much harder to avoid getting a positive test

i.e. loads are currently cheating coz they know they can get away with it

Chambers seems to think so, has said that if the new regime had been around years ago he would have been caught long before he actualy was
Old 05 March 2009, 09:57 PM
Carotid
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lance 'cough' Armstrong
Old 05 March 2009, 10:05 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
The only way to sort it is allow them to take what they want in the understanding that if they drop dead or have a heart attack it's their own silly fault!
But then it's no longer a matter of ability, the winner will just be the one who takes the most drugs, we have the WWE for that.
Old 05 March 2009, 10:07 PM
Carotid
BANNED

The only way to sort it is allow them to take what they want in the understanding that if they drop dead or have a heart attack it's their own silly fault!
Haven't you just described pro cycling?
Old 05 March 2009, 10:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
But then it's no longer a matter of ability, the winner will just be the one who takes the most drugs, we have the WWE for that.
fantastic and quite right too
Old 05 March 2009, 10:41 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Its always been alleged that the Olympics and so forth, are just a competition between country's on who can evade a drug positive per % athlete cought.

From what I have read, "drugs" are not not classified as "drugs" until defined illegal and there are people on concoctions that are not deemed illegal but massively enhance natural ability.

Its big business and to define a cheat is very hard.
Old 06 March 2009, 12:36 PM
jacrobat
Scooby Regular

I was talking to someone who knows something about this and they pointed out the abnormally large number of athletes in cardio-intensive sports who have taken medication for asthma at one time or another. It is, apparently, out of proportion to the general population.
Old 06 March 2009, 12:46 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Who's to say what substances are "legal" for sports folk to take and what ones are not?

It's a complete farce.

Completetly agree with this, drug use in most sports is rife at the top, many have to resort to using to get to the level that other rival sportmen/women are at, and if anyone thinks otherwise then they must be very naive.

I actually think letting athletes/sports people make for better, more entertaining competition.
Old 06 March 2009, 12:47 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carotid
Lance 'cough' Armstrong
And your proof/evidence he was cheating/doping is ??
Old 06 March 2009, 12:49 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jacrobat
I was talking to someone who knows something about this and they pointed out the abnormally large number of athletes in cardio-intensive sports who have taken medication for asthma at one time or another. It is, apparently, out of proportion to the general population.
Ah yes clenbutenol!
Old 06 March 2009, 01:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
Completetly agree with this, drug use in most sports is rife at the top, many have to resort to using to get to the level that other rival sportmen/women are at, and if anyone thinks otherwise then they must be very naive.

Isn’t that why WADA's attempt to introduce the "whereabouts" scheme is coming under such fire from sportsmen

as I said Chambers (and Marion Jones) have admitted that the reason they could get around testers for so long was to use sophisticated ruses like filling their own SMS mailboxes so that they could claim they did not get messages (from tester) etc
Chambers has said that using the whereabouts system WADA would have caught him almost immediately -- or he would have been banned for failing to show up

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 06 March 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06 March 2009, 01:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that all drug taking in sport should be stamped on very heavily.

Allowing people to take artificial substances to improve their performance completely negates the whole point of any kind of athletic competition.

Les
Old 06 March 2009, 02:26 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Allowing people to take artificial substances to improve their performance completely negates the whole point of any kind of athletic competition.

Les
And it doesn't set a very good example to kids.
Old 06 March 2009, 02:38 PM
Floodboy
Scooby Regular

The problem the athletes have with the "whereabouts" rule as I understand it is that they have to give WADA a calendar of where they will be for the next 90 days and be availabe between 6am & 11pm. If the Athlete is then not where they originaly said then its classed as a missed test. 3 x missed tests = a ban.

So how many of you can tell me today where you will be in the next 90 days between 6 - 11 ????

This is the part they are complaing about.

Also FIFA want to change the law so footbalerls are not tested outside of their respective football seasons. FIFA have signed up to the WADA code because they want to keep football in the Olympics.
Old 06 March 2009, 02:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floodboy

So how many of you can tell me today where you will be in the next 90 days between 6 - 11 ????

This is the part they are complaing about.
would most people say at work! say 11am
Old 06 March 2009, 03:44 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carotid
Lance 'cough' Armstrong

Are you French???
Old 06 March 2009, 05:53 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Isn’t that why WADA's attempt to introduce the "whereabouts" scheme is coming under such fire from sportsmen

as I said Chambers (and Marion Jones) have admitted that the reason they could get around testers for so long was to use sophisticated ruses like filling their own SMS mailboxes so that they could claim they did not get messages (from tester) etc
Chambers has said that using the whereabouts system WADA would have caught him almost immediately -- or he would have been banned for failing to show up
more than likely bud yeah

The top level athletes know techniques to avoid detection that won't probably come to light for a good few years, and in some events im sure the dope testers must walk away with bulking pockets with bank notes falling out.

What the WWE used to do is get medical doctors to write scripts for testosterone replacement (legal in US) therapy, so in a way Vince safeguards all his top stars by knowing that leglly they cannot be touched.
Old 06 March 2009, 05:56 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Les

But what happens when they are all using, it becomes a disadvantage if your not using doesn't it.

World's Strongest Man competitors arn't tested for steroids, they are tested only for rec drugs (which is why Mariusz Pudz got caught after taking cocaine and suspended) - if they tested them, i fear very few of them would pass a test.
Old 06 March 2009, 07:36 PM
WhatswiththeR
Scooby Regular

But what happens when they are all using, it becomes a disadvantage if your not using doesn't it.

World's Strongest Man competitors arn't tested for steroids, they are tested only for rec drugs (which is why Mariusz Pudz got caught after taking cocaine and suspended) - if they tested them, i fear very few of them would pass a test.
ohhh i never knew this always suspected it but never knew it. and howcome most worlds strongest men look fat? i know its muscle but if i saw them walking down the road i would just think that there a right fat git. and as for testing for drugs who knows what they'll ban?
Old 06 March 2009, 07:41 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
Armstrong is an interesting case and of course he has never tested positive.

However, cycling is a murky sport, his former team-mates, Heras, Landis, Hamilton, Andreu (confession) have all tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Lance has somewhat orchestrated a French conspiracy against him and to a certain extent he may be right, but by wrapping himself in the 'cancer' banner seems to gain unequivocal support from the lay person.

Here is an IM conversation from 2 of his team mates in 99.
Cycle of denial: The dirty world of cycling | CBC Sports Online

Make your own mind up
Old 07 March 2009, 01:07 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LondonTownie
ohhh i never knew this always suspected it but never knew it. and howcome most worlds strongest men look fat? i know its muscle but if i saw them walking down the road i would just think that there a right fat git. and as for testing for drugs who knows what they'll ban?
A lot of these guys are so big, and yeah fat, although that trend is changing slightly, that underneath the blubber, many have tons of muscle, its just that many old skool types tend to basically eat, and eat and eat without regards for appearance, bit like powerliftiers, top ones are on more gear than bodybuilders, but primary concern is strength over appearance

If anyone has ever seen Glenn Ross, he used to be a competitve bodybuilder, now he's about 25-30 stones and very, very fat, total transformation, but being like that has made him competitve in what he does, although Mariusz Pudz and some of the Americans look more like bodybuilders nowadays.
Old 07 March 2009, 04:24 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

The whereabouts scheme is nothing like as onerous as guys like Murray and Nadal are trying to make out.
You have to state where you will be for 1 hour only, each day. This can be updated at pretty short notice IIRC by txt, internet etc.
So the sensible ones would say taht between, say, 7am and 8am, they will be at home or at the hotel that they are staying at for a tournament etc. The requirement is NOT to say where you will be all day every day. Top-level sportsmen will have a good bit of the next few months mapped out with competition, training, recovery etc.
Old 07 March 2009, 04:38 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
He won the TdF repeatedly at a time when every team was openly doping, and his own team were amongst the most notorious cheats.

How could he not have been doping is a more appropriate question.
Old 07 March 2009, 05:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine got to a pretty high level in cycling. To advance further, he had to start using performance enhancing drugs because *everyone* else was. He decided against going pro.
Old 07 March 2009, 07:55 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

a while ago there was a story about how the technology exists to re-test armstrongs old samples (they are stored somewhere) to prove if he was cheating or his innocence once and for all, but he had the power to refuse the test, no prizes for guessing what he decided

But, if they were all doing it, then he was still the best?

If you were a cynic you could look at the way murray has bulked up so much recently, and his determination to be the best at all costs? who knows though
Old 09 March 2009, 12:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did you read and/or understand the first line of my above post?

Les
Old 09 March 2009, 09:21 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Did you read and/or understand the first line of my above post?

Les
Yes, but like the chances of it happening are like me winning the lottery, none luv

Its people like you, wet behind the ears do-gooders have no understanding of what goes on in the real world or what is happening.

My reply was to your second paragraph, "takes away all aspect of competition" - but how does it when they are all taking them (elite of their chosen sport)
Old 10 March 2009, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes, but like the chances of it happening are like me winning the lottery, none luv

Its people like you, wet behind the ears do-gooders have no understanding of what goes on in the real world or what is happening.

My reply was to your second paragraph, "takes away all aspect of competition" - but how does it when they are all taking them (elite of their chosen sport)
In the first place, your particularly rude remarks about me were totally unnecessary as well as innaccurate, and only go to show your lack of ability in self expression.

The whole concept of competition in sport is to try to win because of one's own personal abilities and the hard work which was put into training. These are natural attributes and that is what those who follow sport expect to see.

The use of drugs etc. to increase personal performance is unnatural as well as probably being dangerous to some degree. It would be a gross error for the sporting authorities to allow a free for all as far as the use of drugs is concerned. It would reduce the performance of the winners to that of no real significance in comparison to others who set records in the past.

Les

Quick Reply: Drugs and sport cheats