Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cheap Prescription Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2009, 11:08 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Prescription Glasses

I've just had an eye test and need some glasses so's I can see where I'm going. These are going to run to nigh on £200 at Vision Express, so I've been googling. I can get some for £20 or so!
Does anyone have any recommendations (or tales of woe) of online specs sellers?
Cheers, Nick
Old 04 March 2009, 11:20 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Including the lenses?
Old 04 March 2009, 11:33 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Including the lenses!
Old 05 March 2009, 12:13 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously I don't know the lenses you need, but that seems steep all in. I got my last glasses from specsavers, single lense, 2 for £75. Obviously can work out more expensive depending on what you need.

I personally wouldn't buy glasses online, as you don't know beforehand if they suit you, and I'm not sure how it would work if you needed them tweeked to fit correctly.

Tbh, may not be your thing, but supermarkets can often be reasonably priced.
Old 05 March 2009, 08:39 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Obviously I don't know the lenses you need, but that seems steep all in. I got my last glasses from specsavers, single lense, 2 for £75. Obviously can work out more expensive depending on what you need.

I personally wouldn't buy glasses online, as you don't know beforehand if they suit you, and I'm not sure how it would work if you needed them tweeked to fit correctly.

Tbh, may not be your thing, but supermarkets can often be reasonably priced.
Sounds like agood idea. I'll go and check out tescos.
Cheers!
Old 05 March 2009, 09:07 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Specsavers do glasses from £25.00. http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/

Geoff.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:26 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I always use a family run independent Optician. They get all the designer frames in (Currently wearing D & G) but the level of service is far more personal.

Apart from the secretary, all staff are trained Opticians. Unlike Vision Express where any monkey can get a job there. Used Vision Express once. Never again.

Find an Independent Optician. Far better than overpriced chains.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:28 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Guy I used to work with bought a few pairs from Cheap prescription glasses varifocal spectacles from glasses uk and was happy enough.
Cheap enough that he left a pair at work, a pair in the car, a pair in his sports holdall etc.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:39 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

My other half uses Specsavers, have a 2 for 1 deal on however the price of hers started off at £99.
Then you add anti glare coating which she says she needs,
Then thinning of the lenses (she needed them thinning to suit the frames she wanted)
Then tinting on second pair to make them sunglasses

Cost more like £200, she did get 2 pairs though for that price so still better than what the OP was offered
Old 05 March 2009, 10:25 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
I always use a family run independent Optician. They get all the designer frames in (Currently wearing D & G) but the level of service is far more personal.

Apart from the secretary, all staff are trained Opticians. Unlike Vision Express where any monkey can get a job there. Used Vision Express once. Never again.

Find an Independent Optician. Far better than overpriced chains.
Totally agree! Thing is... This branch used to be a little independent with 2 shops. They'd been going for over 100 years, and even built, and ran, a grand prix car back in the 1920's!
Then recently they were taken over by VE. Pushy sales patter, an extra frame free (but still £100+ for lenses) offer, but only from a limited range...
Let's see how good their "total satisfaction guarantee" is when I take back my specs for a refund...
Old 05 March 2009, 12:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered some new ones, £237 for "desginer" frames, Boss I think, not arsed about brands, just liked them and worried about the price after, I reckon that seeing as my last ones lasted 8 years and cost me £400 then it wasnt that much, I went for the rimless Titanium jobs with the best lenses last time, the new ones are more conventional.

I would echo the comments about using a local Optician, I have used one called Barradells in Cheadle who are superb, mayne I could find cheaper but the lady on the phone knows its me when I ring without having to look me up, always spot on service and I dont think a chain could really match that. They are now out of my way, could go more local but am loathe to change, once or twice a year its not that far and its been the same people for 15 years or so.
Old 05 March 2009, 01:25 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Glasses are hugely overpriced .... the online dealers are making loads of money by selling for a fraction of the High Street!

I can get a pair of very decent reading glasses from Poundland - £1 of course .... can someone tell me why other specs should be £150 - £200? Nah, it cannot be justified.

Buy Online!!