Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Satellite navigation

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2002, 01:09 PM
webmaster2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Do u reckon Sat Nav is the dogs Boll0cks or the boll0cks of a dog! In my opinion its pointless and a bit off putting if you ask me (u could crash!!! ) who actually has them in their scoobys and if so why do u reckon its worth it!!

Pure rubbish!!!!!!!

Old 25 February 2002, 04:31 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I've got it in both our cars and couldn't live without it now. Its OK if you live in an area you know but of like me your not a 'Local' then its superb. Also on long journeys it takes out the map reading stress between me and the missus and also actively updates on large traffic jams and diverts if required. Its not perfect though and sometimes makes mistakes(not as often as me) and its rubbish for travelling through Switzerland due to mountains and tunnels.

Regards
Cammy
Old 25 February 2002, 05:11 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

I had it on my Sti was really good, only as good as the latest map software but great for picking your way round a jam etc really good in Londonb and large cities. I had the Blaupunkt one which has a voice you can turn up if you don't want to look at the screen.

Andy
Old 25 February 2002, 05:57 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

It may not find the best route, but it will get you there. For routes where you know best, go your own way and the machine will recalculate a route.. When you get to an area that's completely new to you, you can rely on the machine.

If you have multiple vehicles, I can recommend the Garmin Streetpilot 3 Colour for ~£800

[Edited by DavidBrown - 2/25/2002 5:58:40 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 08:12 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

plus buy your new maps on Ebay at a quarter of the price that they are from dealers. Both ours use Navtech Software but differnt hardware. CD's are not compatitble across our 2 cars, which is pretty crap. However not sure I'd have a car without it now.

Cammy
Old 25 February 2002, 09:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Invaluable. Can go exactly to a house or office street number. No need for AtoZ etc but you do have to check it is choosing the correct initial route. Will go via M-Way or shortest route only ie. it cannot mix both to get best route. eg May want to go to London via M1 when best way could be A1. Had no problems in Switzerland main roads last October.
Old 25 February 2002, 09:36 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I think it's a serious saftey aid. Tells you over a mile in advance what lane you need to be on the motorway

On the down side as has been said - picks some strange routes when you know the roads.

David

Oh VDO Datyon Sat Nav System