Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you tip supermarket home delivery drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2009, 11:13 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you tip supermarket home delivery drivers?

Just had my first supermarket food delivery, guy was a bit odd because he parked on my drive for 10 minutes and took out all of the green baskets in his van and put them all over my drive while he took them in and out of the racks

anyway he dropped my boxes on the door step i took the bags out and then he gave me a newspaper (mail on sunday) that he said was free

So then i signed his little computer screen and he just stood on the doorstep for about 10 seconds until I said "Is that it?" and then he said "oh, ok, thanks bye"

Am i supposed to be tipping them?

I am not one to realy tip unless someone really goes out of there way, carrying a bag 2 metres to my door doesnt really seem worthy to me?
Old 01 March 2009, 11:14 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've never tipped them
Old 01 March 2009, 11:16 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Tight wads.

I wouldn't tip. You wouldn't tip the postman for bringing you a parcel, so what's the difference?
Old 01 March 2009, 11:30 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Remember, they are on minimum wage, and are generally treated like sh#t by the Supermarkets. I would tip about £3.00 if I ordered through them.

Don't you tip the Pizza/curry delivery man??. Their job is much easier.

I made more money from the tips when delivering Pizza than I was paid by the store.

I am speaking from experience in both fields. I now run my own courier company, and we even get tips for that sometimes.

Really from the delivery aspect if you don't tip, you don't get a smile on the face or you find your bags are loaded much heavier the next time!!!.
Old 01 March 2009, 11:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
Remember, they are on minimum wage, and are generally treated like sh#t by the Supermarkets. I would tip about £3.00 if I ordered through them.

Don't you tip the Pizza/curry delivery man??. Their job is much easier.

I made more money from the tips when delivering Pizza than I was paid by the store.

I am speaking from experience in both fields. I now run my own courier company, and we even get tips for that sometimes.

Really from the delivery aspect if you don't tip, you don't get a smile on the face or you find your bags are loaded much heavier the next time!!!.

Wont be ordering from you then
Old 01 March 2009, 11:36 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I don't tip them - surely unloading their van and bringing me the goods I've ordered comes under the heading of "doing their job"?
Old 01 March 2009, 11:48 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Wont be ordering from you then
I believe the tipping culture is all wrong in this country anyway, its the one thing the Americans have got right. If I go out for a good meal and I like the food and service, they get a 10% tip. If the food is crap but the service good, I slip something in the waiter/waitresses pocket, because these days most chain restraunts have a communal pot, so the crap chef gets thier share to.

Face it Pimmo, if you have never worked in the service industry, and I count delivery driving as part of this, you wouldn't understand what it is like. The number of days that I would turn up at a delivery point and have to use Zen like control not to **** the person on the doorstep, is uncalcuable.
Oh, and yes the horror stories you here about the kitchen staff in restraunts is true if they are informed by the waiting on staff that a nightmare customer is sitting outside!!!!.
Old 01 March 2009, 01:18 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Think I should add that I am a part time "delivery driver" , I deliver large heavy bulky items unpack setip and take away the rubbish even though the customer is told that we only deliver to the kerbside. We just like to go the extra mile to beat the customers expectations. I don't get tips that often although I did get £20 off someone last week but I did take something very heavy to an akward location in the dark, and set it up for them ready for use.

Dont see how dropping a few bags on the doorstep deserves anything?

as for restaurants? I will only give something if they deserve it... not sure why anyone would give a tip if part of the restaurant was not up to scratch surely thats rewarding crapness?
Old 01 March 2009, 01:37 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Think I should add that I am a part time "delivery driver" , I deliver large heavy bulky items unpack setip and take away the rubbish even though the customer is told that we only deliver to the kerbside. We just like to go the extra mile to beat the customers expectations. I don't get tips that often although I did get £20 off someone last week but I did take something very heavy to an akward location in the dark, and set it up for them ready for use.

Dont see how dropping a few bags on the doorstep deserves anything?

as for restaurants? I will only give something if they deserve it... not sure why anyone would give a tip if part of the restaurant was not up to scratch surely thats rewarding crapness?

You will note that in restraunts I will only tip the part that is good not the whole.
Old 01 March 2009, 02:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I don't understand tipping and I get tipped quite often!

The times I've gone that extra mile and worked my ***** off for nothing is incredible. Then I'll do something vastly simple and take a tenner for it! In fact I've refused tips as the job I had done was so simple it didn't warrant a tip!

I must admit, since doing this job and receiving tips, I do tip more often but it does have to merit it, unpacking some shopping doesn't cut it for me
Old 01 March 2009, 02:22 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

dont forget that most supermarkets charge £5 or more for delivery, in my opinion this shouldnt be tipped.
Old 01 March 2009, 02:43 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I don't understand tipping and I get tipped quite often!

The times I've gone that extra mile and worked my ***** off for nothing is incredible. Then I'll do something vastly simple and take a tenner for it! In fact I've refused tips as the job I had done was so simple it didn't warrant a tip!

I must admit, since doing this job and receiving tips, I do tip more often but it does have to merit it, unpacking some shopping doesn't cut it for me
This is my exact experiance, take some thing up a 100step spiral stair case to a penthouse apartment in London = no tip

Deliver an item to a council estate and put it in back garden = a tip + can of beer
Old 01 March 2009, 02:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I don't get tipped. But I think most people know attempting to bribe a police officer is frowned upon :
Old 01 March 2009, 04:31 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

No tips but I also usually go and help them unload the shopping, it makes it quicker for all of us. if they want a tip then they can bugger off

Next time they hang around go 'ah yes...' then give them some of the plastic bags back for recycling
Old 01 March 2009, 04:56 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I don't get tipped. But I think most people know attempting to bribe a police officer is frowned upon :
I don't get tipped either and my job's a lot harder than unloading a few shopping bags! Annoying isn't it!

We don't get the shopping delivered, but if we did, then i'd say the delivery charge would cover it and not tip any more, just like in a restaurant if and when the 'service charge' appears I don't tip on top of that.
Old 01 March 2009, 05:00 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

last week i phoned a taxi to take me to the local train station.....the driver turns up 20 mins later.i say hi how are you is it busy today?he says no i say thats strange i just waited 20 mins for a taxi he laughs like so what he then drives as slow as **** tom the station and then when he dropped me off i know the correct fare is £4.40 and theres no way hes getting any more so he says i hope youve got change because i havent got any i said i dont have any change he fumbles for 5 mins then gives me the 60 pence change he was raging but serves the cooont right lol
between waiting for the taxi and his slow driving i missed the train!

Last edited by delcbr; 01 March 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01 March 2009, 05:48 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by delcbr
last week i phoned a taxi to take me to the local train station.....the driver turns up 20 mins later.i say hi how are you is it busy today?he says no i say thats strange i just waited 20 mins for a taxi he laughs like so what he then drives as slow as **** tom the station and then when he dropped me off i know the correct fare is £4.40 and theres no way hes getting any more so he says i hope youve got change because i havent got any i said i dont have any change he fumbles for 5 mins then gives me the 60 pence change he was raging but serves the cooont right lol
between waiting for the taxi and his slow driving i missed the train!
i once prebooked a taxi in the morning, to come and pick me up at 4pm, taking me back home when the scooby was broke, and they made me wait 30 mins ?!?

ringing the goon at the desk gave this response "ohh sorry we are just a bit busy at the moment"

i booked the thing in the ******* morning!
ended up ringing another company who came within 5 mins, and the next day had the regular taxi drivers (from the original place, who are regulars through the carwash) coming in and saying stuff like

"did you order a taxi and then go with somebody else, thats a bit harsh"
Old 01 March 2009, 06:15 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I use Sainsburys and its most often the same guy, he is jolly and polite, but I dont tip him. The only people who get a tip off me are hot waitresses, hot barmaids, hot hotel staff, hot.... you get the idea...

But seriously, I dont really think they should epxect a tip. Tips are for going out of your way for something, i.e above and beyond.

I used to tip at my local car wash, go in quite a lot and they tend to do a good job and really make sure its done correctly. Give the lad who does the "tarting up" at the end a couple of quid, maybe a fiver at xmas. Anyway, a few weeks ago I go to give him a tip and he says he cant take it anymore!! Orders of the owner.
Old 01 March 2009, 06:24 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Heh heh. I did a shift as an observer out of SX the other night and twice we were offered tips. One was a box of latex gloves from LAS and the other was, well, summat else. Policing seems to be the only growth industry in this country right now.

If I lived up several flights of stairs, then I'd tip the Tesco delivery man. But since he has to move the green boxes no more than 5ft from his van to my door, I don't bother.
Old 01 March 2009, 06:28 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

So you dont do the subway 999 deal then?
Old 01 March 2009, 06:42 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
I've never tipped them
I do, tell them not to eat yellow snow. actually it's a bit rude to stand there expecting a tip. When I'm out doing deliveries on occasion we go out of our way to please the customer. Things like taking shoes off, unpacking items and taking away the rubbish etc. Heck we even at times have tuned televisions and set dvd players up! However we never expect tips, if we get one fine if not nay bother. Customer service must be paramount at all times, that's what will keep businesses going.
Old 01 March 2009, 07:54 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not every thing about American culture is bad - but tipping?
Where is the dignity in that?
It is just begging dressed up as importuning.
Old 01 March 2009, 07:58 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I give them a Tip
My tip to them is, "You're at the WRONG house" as I'm not so lazy as to get my shopping delivered (I send the wife to get the stuff!)
Old 01 March 2009, 07:59 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always give tips,,,,,,,,,,,,,like,,,,,don't eat yellow snow and don't p*ss into the wind
Old 01 March 2009, 08:11 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't remember the last time I got a tip at work. All I got at christmas was a bottle of Smirnoff from one place as a thank you for a years worth of undamaged deliveries.

Gave it to Lisa's mam as we don't drink spirits anyway.

Nowadays, your lucky if you get a thank you off people for delivering to them.

IF we did use home delivery for our groceries, there's no way I'd give them a tip. They do half the work I do.
Old 01 March 2009, 09:39 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I think if the companies found out that any of the drivers were accepting tips then they would be disciplined with a good chance they could be sacked as it is against most supermarkets policy as they are just doing the job they are paid to do.
Old 02 March 2009, 12:15 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
I don't get tipped either and my job's a lot harder than unloading a few shopping bags! Annoying isn't it!

We don't get the shopping delivered, but if we did, then i'd say the delivery charge would cover it and not tip any more, just like in a restaurant if and when the 'service charge' appears I don't tip on top of that.
Nail & head!
Old 02 March 2009, 12:53 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
So you dont do the subway 999 deal then?
All Subways are located next to double-yello lines maning you can't park there

Did you not see the SN Subway boycott on here when the rascists called for us to all boycott the chain just because they wanted to attract extra income by serving Halal meat?

Anyway, surely the Dominoes 999 deal is the way forard
Old 02 March 2009, 05:46 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I gave an Ocado/Waitrose guy back a cucumber once that didn't look quite right. Does that count?

PS, I'm not normally a tight-**** and usually tip cabbies, always tip waiters/waitresses and the other social norms, but this one strikes me as a bit odd.

Quick Reply: Do you tip supermarket home delivery drivers?