Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Doctors and Reception

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2009, 12:39 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Doctors and Reception

Receently I wrote into the partners of my local practice and address my letter directly to them. Not a complaint, but a request to review my history and to let me know what they though. I'm not going to self medicate, I go to the doc to get their advice. Sadly I got a new doctor last time who was a complete *****.

I received a letter back from Reception, asking me to make an appointment .. even though my letter has been address directly to the partners by name, reception has opened, read and replied.

Do the reception have access to my medical records ? as based on the way they gossip and chat when I go in there, this comes as a big disappointment to me.
Old 26 February 2009, 12:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps. They seldom inspire confidence, do they? In future you should mark the letter 'confidential' and address it to one particular partner only. If its still answered by a member of their clerical staff, without explaining that they have been asked to reply by the doctor in question, then you have grounds for a complaint, in my opinion.
Old 26 February 2009, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The receptionists can call up your medical records on their computer screens while you stand in front of them.

Les
Old 26 February 2009, 01:18 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yep, my misses' mum works at her doctors, misses feels uneasy now going to the docs knowing her mum knows results etc before she does. Has no confidentiality Been trying to get her to move docs for ages
Old 26 February 2009, 01:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think pharmacists will also be able to access records so any old biddy who works in the local chemist can soon find out about Fred's "problem" or whatever. Confidentiality - forget it. dl
Old 26 February 2009, 02:20 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Doesn't make me feel too good about going the docs now.
Old 26 February 2009, 02:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Perhaps. They seldom inspire confidence, do they? In future you should mark the letter 'confidential' and address it to one particular partner only. If its still answered by a member of their clerical staff, without explaining that they have been asked to reply by the doctor in question, then you have grounds for a complaint, in my opinion.
I wrote the name of the two partners I wanted a response from on my letter.
Old 26 February 2009, 02:39 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

why don't you just make an appointment to see the gp you want to?

gp's get a lot of post, this is usually opened by the receptionists, and not read,there's too much..

then viewed by a doc and he probably wrote on it.. "TCI"

ie to come in/make an appointment.

nothing more sinister.

cheers matt
Old 26 February 2009, 02:57 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

the receptionsits do have access to the medical records or else they wouldn't be able to do their jobs, normally if its a relative they should have another member of staff to deal with those records

And yeah make an appointment, and you should be able to ask specifically for the doctor you want to see, you can at mine, some people don't like some of them so ask and see the ones that they do like.
Old 26 February 2009, 03:02 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

All mail is opened, stamped and dated by staff and then goes into the 'mail trail' which is then passed on to the doctors. Yes, reception staff can see your records because it is part of the system. They have to be able to have access to your records. If you want to order a repeat prescription, or get blood test results etc it is all there for the receptionists to deal with. I would suggest that if you only want the Doctors to see your letter, then mark it 'Addressee Only'. Or ring and have a telephone appt with the doc. The doc will ring you at a pre-arranged time.

I have to say that patient confidentiality is paramount. I didn't even look at Mr OS's recent b/t results. I made him ring in for them.

Last edited by oldsplice; 26 February 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 26 February 2009, 05:31 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now here is the good bit.
Your medical records and all the associated personal information you supply to your GP is put on a national data base.
No doubt the Police can get hold of the info (terrorism innit) + various civil servant types and knowing how useless the state/NHS is with data protection, pretty much anyone else.
Can't wait to start recieving unsolicited marketing **** emanating from this source
Old 26 February 2009, 05:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just because the recptionist has replied, doesn't mean they've opened it and read (although they probably have) but docs will always ask you to make an appointment to give you access to your records for a couple of reasons: they won't let you walk iff with the notes as they're liable for the security and they want to know if they're gonna get sued.

MrsREV recently had to go through this rigmarole with our doctors. Our answers were "we are taking a copy" and "yes you are you useless shower of ****".
Old 26 February 2009, 06:01 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

The receptionist/medical secretary would have been instructed/had a letter dictated by the doctor to reply to the correspondence. The receptionist would have glanced at the letter to see if it was to be given to the docs or dealt with by admin (docs get sent a lot of crap mail as well!).
Old 26 February 2009, 07:54 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

The whole point of the letter was to give the doc time to consider things .. 10 years of appointments and nothing gained.

Sent another one today, addressed to the reception

I'm not looking to be a pain .. I'm after decent health care.
Old 26 February 2009, 08:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A face to face meeting (ie an appointment as you have been offered) usually sorts this sort of thing out fairly quickly I find. If it was me, then I'd either go through the notes (which are always less exciting than people expect) there and then, and offer copies or printouts, or offer you a room to read them yourself.

Alternatively, sometimes after a phone conversation with a patient I will sometimes just leave them a photocopy of the relevant bits they're interested in at the reception.

Another route is a lawyer's letter with patient's written consent - we will copy the notes for a fee, or if very large send them recorded delivery for the lawyer to borrow, copy and return (usually for a court case, and they want all the records even if just one sheet at best is actually relevant).
Old 26 February 2009, 08:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
A face to face meeting (ie an appointment as you have been offered) usually sorts this sort of thing out fairly quickly I find. If it was me, then I'd either go through the notes (which are always less exciting than people expect) there and then, and offer copies or printouts, or offer you a room to read them yourself.

Alternatively, sometimes after a phone conversation with a patient I will sometimes just leave them a photocopy of the relevant bits they're interested in at the reception.

Another route is a lawyer's letter with patient's written consent - we will copy the notes for a fee, or if very large send them recorded delivery for the lawyer to borrow, copy and return (usually for a court case, and they want all the records even if just one sheet at best is actually relevant).

I'm not after my notes .. I'm wanting the partners to spend some time going over them and then I'll go in and see them. Just going in does not give them enough time to read through all the notes and nothing is done.

Old 26 February 2009, 10:27 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Dont complain to much or they will get rid of you and you will have to find another practice to take you on.

I am sorry to say the NHS doesnt put the patient 1st, its a shame we cant opt out.
Old 26 February 2009, 10:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Dont complain to much or they will get rid of you and you will have to find another practice to take you on.

I am sorry to say the NHS doesnt put the patient 1st, its a shame we cant opt out.
Worth the risk .. I have gained nothing so far.
Old 26 February 2009, 10:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is not clear what you're asking, but a face to face appointment (which allows two way communication, non-verbal cues, examination etc) usually works better than trying to give a written reply to a patient which could easily miss the point and require clarification and discussion. It just ends up a waste of time exchange of letters that could be sorted in minutes face to face.

I do sometimes receive lengthy letters from patients, I usually also invite them in or phone them in response. It sometimes helps them express what they want to say, but usually it is nowhere near as productive for patient or doctor as an appointment.

The often stated intention of the patient not wanting to "waste an appointment" usually ends up wasting more time and creating more confusion.

A written complaint is another matter, and it is a time consuming business investigating and then replying in a constructive fashion so that you address the complaint, apologise if appropriate, defend if appropriate, and try not to be misunderstood.

Generally, medical communications work well between medical professionals or between medical professionals and lawyers. Written communications with patients work well for administration/appointments, information leaflets, or a brief explanation of something if you can't get them on the phone. Otherwise they are time consuming and usually misunderstood.

Our contract to the NHS requires us to see or advise patients who are ill or believe they are ill. It does not cover written reports or opinions except for those for the Department of Social Security. It does require a written response to written complaints.

So, if you have a complaint, write a letter of complaint and mark it clearly as such. Otherwise, hopefully, the practice is probably just trying to be helpful and make efficient use of resources.

Last edited by john banks; 26 February 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 26 February 2009, 11:36 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pimmo2000

Just a note on your original post.......

According to our IT dept when a non clinical member of staff (receptionist) logs into our electronic records system they only "see" the admin side of things (appointments etc) and not the medical conditions you may have recorded.

If you had written to me (I am an NHS Consultant) I would have passed your letter to our Admin staff asking for an appointment.

Unless the letter you wrote contained anything of an illegal nature (bomb threats etc) it would be simply processed.

Admin staff do see patient information, but they are too busy trying to sort out appointments and they know that they will be sacked immediately for any breach of information !!

HTH

Shaun
Old 27 February 2009, 08:48 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It is not clear what you're asking, but a face to face appointment (which allows two way communication, non-verbal cues, examination etc) usually works better than trying to give a written reply to a patient which could easily miss the point and require clarification and discussion. It just ends up a waste of time exchange of letters that could be sorted in minutes face to face.

I do sometimes receive lengthy letters from patients, I usually also invite them in or phone them in response. It sometimes helps them express what they want to say, but usually it is nowhere near as productive for patient or doctor as an appointment.

The often stated intention of the patient not wanting to "waste an appointment" usually ends up wasting more time and creating more confusion.

A written complaint is another matter, and it is a time consuming business investigating and then replying in a constructive fashion so that you address the complaint, apologise if appropriate, defend if appropriate, and try not to be misunderstood.

Generally, medical communications work well between medical professionals or between medical professionals and lawyers. Written communications with patients work well for administration/appointments, information leaflets, or a brief explanation of something if you can't get them on the phone. Otherwise they are time consuming and usually misunderstood.

Our contract to the NHS requires us to see or advise patients who are ill or believe they are ill. It does not cover written reports or opinions except for those for the Department of Social Security. It does require a written response to written complaints.

So, if you have a complaint, write a letter of complaint and mark it clearly as such. Otherwise, hopefully, the practice is probably just trying to be helpful and make efficient use of resources.
I appreciate the time you've taken to reply but you're missing my point.

I've been going to appointments for 10 years and every time I go its like I start again.

I'm asking for them to take the time to consider my history and expect me. I want a Doctor to reply, or for reception to reply and say we have passed your letter on to ... and he/she will see you at...

Jobs done.

edit: as the letter said make an appointment with one of our partners I'm guessing this wasn't done .. as I cant see all 4 of them being prepared in case I pick them for my appointment.

Last edited by pimmo2000; 27 February 2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 27 February 2009, 12:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Missing the point is what happens though with this sort of written communication, and that is my point!

If you've been going for 10 years and feel like there is no continuity, then find one of the doctors you like, trust and have a rapport with and always book with them, well in advance, since the government targets for 48 hour access actually reduce continuity these days.

Reviewing what sounds like a complex 10 year history does take time, so you need one person that knows you. Even then, I'd have to refer to notes as I can't remember 2000 patient histories in my head. There is nothing wrong in reviewing what has been done before as it avoids needless repeating of drugs or investigations etc.

If you said you were coming to see me and asked me to review your history first I would try to do so and make notes of it, but for 10 year's worth this could take up three or four appointments of time. I've done this before and then the patient hasn't turned up!

Someone recently tried to give me fourteen problems, many longstanding and insoluble, many non-medical, to solve in a 10 minute appointment. It will take a while to get to the bottom of that lot, and again it will only work if they stick to one doctor and see through all the problems.

Last edited by john banks; 27 February 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 27 February 2009, 03:43 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Further to what John has said, could I suggest that you ask for a double appointment (20 mins).

It may be worth deciding (firstly) which doctor you would like to see, then ask for a telephone appointment with him/her to discuss the fact that you would like to see them re your history, and then make an appointment to see them.

Can I ask if you have been registered at this particular practice for those 10 years?
Old 27 February 2009, 04:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Further to what John has said, could I suggest that you ask for a double appointment (20 mins).

It may be worth deciding (firstly) which doctor you would like to see, then ask for a telephone appointment with him/her to discuss the fact that you would like to see them re your history, and then make an appointment to see them.

Can I ask if you have been registered at this particular practice for those 10 years?

26 years .. and I had the same doc .. for about 5 years and he didnt help me.

So I tried other doctors..
Old 27 February 2009, 07:09 PM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

pimmo2000

it might be worth asking yourself if you have any of the following features?

-Constant and delighted assertion that the treatment was useless (can I try another?)
-Failure to take responsibility for his or her own actions such as smoking or obesity
-Long as well as frequent consultations
-Many nebulous complaints all at once
-Want treatment for various children and relatives (without notes)
-Demand inappropriate certificates
-Repeat the same life stories incessantly
-Ask for inappropriate therapies
-Throw "the useless" medications across the consulting desk
-Casually swear during conversation
-Smell
-Demand treatment triggered by a TV advertisement or the Internet
-Demand their "rights" before explaining the problem
-Are over familiar
-Excessive scepticism about medical science along with a naive acceptance of "junk science" and totally unsubstantiated claims of efficacy and safety of unlicensed products
-Are happy to talk incessantly, but not listen to a word you have to say
-Know you can't help but .................
-Over 40
-Socially isolated, usually single, separated or widowed or marital problems
-Low tolerance for just putting up with minor illness
-Low education and social class
-Poor insight

if so then you're a fully paid up season ticket holding frequent flier of a heartsink!
Old 27 February 2009, 10:43 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

-Constant and delighted assertion that the treatment was useless (can I try another?) treatment was useless

-Failure to take responsibility for his or her own actions such as smoking or obesity Very healthy, never smoked

-Long as well as frequent consultations at least once every 6 months

-Many nebulous complaints all at once one complaint

-Want treatment for various children and relatives (without notes) just me

-Demand inappropriate certificates never asked for anything

-Repeat the same life stories incessantly I guess so, I repeated my symptoms to several docs

-Ask for inappropriate therapies no

-Throw "the useless" medications across the consulting desk never been rude or inappropriate

-Casually swear during conversation never once

-Smell after a run maybe, never before a doc appontment

-Demand treatment triggered by a TV advertisement or the Internet never once

-Demand their "rights" before explaining the problem nope

-Are over familiar nope

-Excessive scepticism about medical science along with a naive acceptance of "junk science" and totally unsubstantiated claims of efficacy and safety of unlicensed products I trust medical science

-Are happy to talk incessantly, but not listen to a word you have to say listen and ask as many questions

-Know you can't help but ................. Hpe you can

-Over 40 nope

-Socially isolated, usually single, separated or widowed or marital problems living with misses, baby on way

-Low tolerance for just putting up with minor illness very tolerant of pain

-Low education and social class middle class, degree educated

-Poor insight I would say not, but I would if I had it
Old 27 February 2009, 10:46 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

nicely copied by the way

Heart Sink patients
Old 27 February 2009, 11:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pimmo

Just out of sheer curiosity what is your medical problem and what treatment "was useless"

Shaun
Old 28 February 2009, 07:50 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I would have posted by now mate if I didn't think it would be used against me on the forum at some point.

I'm not sure what you're implying with putting useless in quotes??

Thanks for everyones replies and U2U's much appreciate.

Quick Reply: Doctors and Reception