Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Alternative Russian Roulette.

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2009, 02:39 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative Russian Roulette.

Question??. How do you persuade your 84 year old Grandfather, with nasty Angina, that playing Russian roulette with the condiment cupboard is not a good idea?.

Explanation:

Neighbour just bought some of the damson jam they made last year round, and Grandad decided to clean out the cupboard so it would fit. Currently standing at 22 opened and unopened jars of assorted chutneys, jams, marmalades, mustards etc. that are at least 2 years out of date. Record is some lyles pouring syrup in a squeezy bottle dated 1996. Grandad insisting that they are fine and wants to sample some on his toast.
He constantly quotes "When I was in Burma in the war you don't want to know what I ate, and no one died of food poisining then". I point out that they normally died of bullets before they had chance!!!. And he was rather fittier and younger then.

Any one else played this type of Russian roulette and survived to tell the tale!!!.

Last edited by SVXNUT; 15 February 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 15 February 2009, 02:52 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I do it all the time but then i'm not 84 so a bit of dodgy jam isn't going to finish me off.
Surprising how long some stuff keeps past its sell by date. My only exception is beer - never last long enough to go out of date
Old 15 February 2009, 03:36 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

My nan god rest her soul, ate some really out of date frozen meat prior to her demise, I think it may have even been the catalyst.

Personally I am really funny about out of date stuff and it is very rare even at nearly 37 I wouldn't touch it.
Old 15 February 2009, 04:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I do it all the time

I chopped up some 3 week old grapes into my cereal this morning, they'd only gone a "bit" soft and shriveled

Stuff in the freezer is prehistoric; the last freezer failure (i.e "clearout" )was 2001 IIRC, and I found some fancy sausages dating back to around then. Tasted lovely.

I did try a microwave burger that I think must have been defrosted and refrozen at one point, as it was like a rock (I know they taste like cardboard anyway), if you threw at someone's head it would have given them a concussion, I still took a bite.

My mate is paranoid about any stuff I offer him at my house; He knows I don't care for sell-by dates so always checks the labels etc. And kicks up a right stink if it happens to over by a day or two (even "best before"...which is not "use by" ).

But then, my kitchen is spotless, as are the utensils and the fridge; all regularly cleaned with antibacterial cleaners.

His kitchen? Erm, well a rabbit lives in there for starters, the work surfaces have never been wiped over barring the cooker top. Cutlery lives on the work top as the drawers are filthy (he can't be arsed to clean the drawers), the tea spoons and mugs are encrusted with tea/coffee stains. And the fridge/freezer seals are a mould/fungus fest.

Yet he complains about my food being out of date?

The only reason he hasn't died from food poisoning yet is that everything he eats is cooked to a hardened dried tasteless crisp. I once cooked him a steak on the BBQ that was a "little" bit red in the middle. My god, he went mad! Same with the fancy sausages I cooked that had bacon in, so it had pink bits in...he thought it wasn't cooked, I had to get the packet out the bin to show him

Talking of food roulette, I have a fridge in an empty flat that has been "left" to stagnate for a bit. I need to take it to work and steam clean it, because it really is mingin'...I'll pop up there later and grab a picture. Anyone wanting to play roulette can feel free to store their fresh food in there whilst waiting for the use-by to expire.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 February 2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 15 February 2009, 07:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Talking of food roulette, I have a fridge in an empty flat that has been "left" to stagnate for a bit. I need to take it to work and steam clean it, because it really is mingin'...I'll pop up there later and grab a picture. Anyone wanting to play roulette can feel free to store their fresh food in there whilst waiting for the use-by to expire.
This is not just a fridge, this is a Neff built in fridge with fluffy mould, soaked in dried orange and beer jus:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...c/DSC00418.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...c/DSC00419.jpg

(and I think the compressor just died, as something electrical at the back went bang when I turned it on so the light would work ).
Old 15 February 2009, 08:16 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

I helped parents mov house in 2001. when I was clearing out one of the kitchen cupboards I found a packet of breadcrumbs with the price tag still on it.......in shillings!!!
Old 15 February 2009, 08:28 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Now thats what I call a fridge!!!!. I started this as a fun thread, but it seems that people are taking it a little more seriosly than I thought.
Old 15 February 2009, 09:06 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I prefer Russian Omelette = take 6 eggs - hard boil 5, Leave one raw.

Place back in an egg box on a table between two of you.

Drink lots then do the usual russian roulette thing. Makes me laugh every time.
Old 15 February 2009, 09:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I prefer Russian Omelette = take 6 eggs - hard boil 5, Leave one raw.

Place back in an egg box on a table between two of you.

Drink lots then do the usual russian roulette thing. Makes me laugh every time.
have done a similar thing with shot glasses of vodka and water on a stag week

verry messy

oh and the "beerhunter" with 6 cans, one being violently shaken
Old 15 February 2009, 11:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
Question??. How do you persuade your 84 year old Grandfather, with nasty Angina, that playing Russian roulette with the condiment cupboard is not a good idea?.

Explanation:

Neighbour just bought some of the damson jam they made last year round, and Grandad decided to clean out the cupboard so it would fit. Currently standing at 22 opened and unopened jars of assorted chutneys, jams, marmalades, mustards etc. that are at least 2 years out of date. Record is some lyles pouring syrup in a squeezy bottle dated 1996. Grandad insisting that they are fine and wants to sample some on his toast.
He constantly quotes "When I was in Burma in the war you don't want to know what I ate, and no one died of food poisining then". I point out that they normally died of bullets before they had chance!!!. And he was rather fittier and younger then.

Any one else played this type of Russian roulette and survived to tell the tale!!!.
Cant see a problem . If there were some 10 year ole ketchup half squeezed i might raise an eyebrow