Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OAP Jailed for Death Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2009, 06:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OAP Jailed for Death Driving

It's a shame it's such a tragic story, but maybe people will sit up and take notice at last that your ability to drive does become impaired when you get older.

I remember my Grandad giving up his licence because he felt uncomfortable at the wheel and lacked the confidence he had when he was younger.

BBC NEWS | England | Hampshire | Crash family want over-70s tests
Old 05 February 2009, 07:14 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father in law used to drive high as a kite on the morphine he needed for his cancer. He thought better of it though after knocking down one of his bowling team mates.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:17 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

old people cant drive - fact.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:23 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

maybe it is time a REAL study was conducted. I bet age effects your reaction more than drink.
Plus.....free bus pass.... I wont be driving anyway.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:25 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Complete rubbish IMO, they should make you take CBT every year after the age of 60!
At 50 you should have to re-take your test.
These people are far more dangerous than young lads in barry boy cars, for sure!
Old 05 February 2009, 07:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris.B
Complete rubbish IMO, they should make you take CBT every year after the age of 60!
At 50 you should have to re-take your test.
These people are far more dangerous than young lads in barry boy cars, for sure!
I wouldn't say that, the you inexperienced barry boy racing around every where is more likely to cause a fatal accident than an old codger driving at 20mph in a 40 limit. Both dangerous in their own ways, but not really comparable.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:45 PM
New_scooby_04

People REALLY need to look at the extensive body of literature that's been done on this subject before spouting off. The conclusions might surprise you and confound the stereotypes!

The demographic most well represented in accident statistics are young men!

Remember this tragic accident was caused by a moments inattention, not some old dear who can't see above the steering wheel driving at 20mph the wrong way down a motorway!

Who can hand on heart say they haven't had a near miss/wake up call due to a moment's inattention?

I can't!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 05 February 2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:53 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

My old fella drives really well at 80. He has slowed down a bit and hasn't had a speeding ticket for years , but regularly drives 150 miles to see us. If I thought there was any danger or hazard I'd behaving a word.

He's definitely FAR safer than Nova drivers in nappies

D
Old 05 February 2009, 08:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

My father is approaching 70 and he's an active racer. Theres more to it than age alone.
Old 05 February 2009, 09:41 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the facts would mean anyone under the age of 25 years should not be given a licence.

Presumably some of you want it to get really tough after 50 as per the above comments.

On the plus side It would keep the roads clear and the congestion charge wouldn't be needed
Old 05 February 2009, 09:49 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

There's a reason insurance is expensive for young, new drivers! They are generally crap and dangerous; men, in particular.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
My father is approaching 70 and he's an active racer. Theres more to it than age alone.
Ditto.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

He's not that good though; unlike my uncle, who is approaching retirement age and is still sh*t-hot!
Old 05 February 2009, 10:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
He's not that good though; unlike my uncle, who is approaching retirement age and is still sh*t-hot!
Mine has won his class many times against far younger drivers and continues to do so. (albeit not F1).

You're born to drive well, like many things that people excel at. Yes you can get better with practice but I think at least a higher level of competence is in your genes in whatever discipline it might be.

Most bad older drivers on the road now were just bad younger drivers but obviously have a little more age related difficulty thrown in.

In this tragic case cited above I could imagine the daft old bint doing things like this before but only getting caught this time in the worse possible way. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think age is necessarily the issue here.

I've been making swift progress before now only to be confronted by a youngster doing a 3 point turn on the exit of a bend on an unrestricted A road. That is frightening when you think they are the future.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:47 PM
Luke
BANNED

last time i went in my dads car was about 20 years ago. he was a total mess and should have never been allowed. When they become pensioners should have to be re tested every 5 years.
Old 05 February 2009, 10:57 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luke
last time i went in my dads car was about 20 years ago. he was a total mess and should have never been allowed. When they become pensioners should have to be re tested every 5 years.
If you use that rationale, new drivers should be restricted to cars that are restricted to 60mph and tested yearly until they have had 3-5 years' experience of driving.

The bloke that taught me to drive for my job is now a pensioner and he can still handle a car better than I ever could. Most older people drive more slowly, not dangerously.

There is a time though, when people should be tested again, but it's hard to define.

I'd rather get in a car with someone with 50 years' experience if driving, than with a newly qualified 17yr old.....
Old 05 February 2009, 11:10 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It really depends on the driver. My dad was a professional driver for a lot of his working life - approximately thirty years on and off - on PSV and HGV, but started to lose confidence, ability to navigate etc when he passed 60 years old. He died aged 63, so that may have been a symptom of him becoming ill. Old codgers do stuff that exasperate you - like drive on a road where overtaking is virtually impossible at 20mph below the speed limit, so the silhouette of their befuddled head with its obligatory flat cap becomes seared into your eyeballs - but they're unlikely to kill you like some 18 year old out showing off to his mates.

Last edited by Bubba po; 05 February 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05 February 2009, 11:25 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I would rather get in the passenger seat of a car belonging to an older person, as they have a greater awareness.

'youngsters' these days ( god i feel old typing that ) should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car until they are 21+. Then there should be learning centres whereby they take the theory AND learn how to drive before even coming out on the public roads to practise.

They are far too ****-sure of themselves, whereas older people have matured, and in the main are the more sensible drivers.. that said, aren't they bloody annoying when they crawl along the roads??
Old 05 February 2009, 11:35 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Over the years since these old people passed their tests, it's become car busy. New sign's, light's etc...
Their reaction time has slowed and they have no understanding of the highway code. Not very many will pass but a little compulsory basic training will ensure they are up to date and not a danger.

I'm not having a dig about all old people, just the one's that pay no attention to others around them.
Old 05 February 2009, 11:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Mine has won his class many times against far younger drivers and continues to do so. (albeit not F1).
Chris is usually on the podium, but my old fella is usually bringing the tea at the back...
Old 06 February 2009, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RyanSTI
old people cant drive - fact.
That is complete balderdash.

I know one or two septuagenarians who would leave you for dead on any track you like to choose. Like GC8's relatives, they are as sharp as most on the track and are excellent drivers on the road too.

Coming out with a general statement like that is a particularly stupid thing to do!

Les