Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

smacking your kids,

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2009, 06:41 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smacking your kids,

teen crime has shot up over the years so i wondered if it had any bearing on the 'no smacking' law that was implemented some years ago

certainly makes you wonder

these days kids seem to rule the world as nothing can touch them

i would be interested on your opinions
Old 05 February 2009, 06:43 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smacking doesn't work anyway so there's no point doing it. Hard work not doing it though, sometimes.
Old 05 February 2009, 06:45 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sarasquares
teen crime has shot up over the years so i wondered if it had any bearing on the 'no smacking' law that was implemented some years ago

I was thinking exactly the same a few weeks ago.
Old 05 February 2009, 06:46 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i think i disagree i think that kids see themselves as untouchable and that is why crimes have escalated over the last few years.

what makes teenagers so different from what they used to be like?

and yes, i have smacked my daughter
Old 05 February 2009, 06:48 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Someone once told me that kids wanted all the rights with none of the responsibility. I think they have been given what they wanted..........

And we can't just blame Labour, the Tories were in power when the cane was taken away from schools. AND they brought in all the parents' rights AT school
Old 05 February 2009, 06:54 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Explanation.

Reason.

Argument.

Timeout.

Naughty step.

Privileges withheld.

Sent to room.

No use of computer.

No DVD's

No CBeebies.

No Indian Restaurant trips (sic)!

SMACK!!!!

All legitimate parents weapons!

Our two (both under five) have probably had about 6 smacks total, ever (and usually when they get hysterical) as the other stuff really works. But when a smack that is normally held in reserve is issued, it works far better!!!

The 'experts' get it wrong I think.

D
Old 05 February 2009, 06:55 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

you forgot to add the thick ear
Old 05 February 2009, 06:56 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

i think it has alot to do with it TBH, same as banning the belt at school, i used to be on the receiving end of it quite a bit and every time i got it i always knew my place after it....for a while anyway, then i would get it again, and i would have another quiet spell for a while and so it went through my school years lol

bottom line is kids do need to be corrected!
Old 05 February 2009, 07:00 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

you forgot to add the thick ear
And the stocks!!! LOL
Old 05 February 2009, 07:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

have 5 kids (Inc Twins)

never smacked (min'd you they've never been to a Mac Donalds either)

always an alternative

if any of mine "play up" it usually means they are getting ill
Old 05 February 2009, 07:05 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
And the stocks!!! LOL

definately

i have handcuffed my son to the drainpipe in my garden when he was younger. he was determined to go out so i stopped him
Old 05 February 2009, 07:07 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

I know it is not politically correct, but i believe smacking does make a difference, I certainly don't mean attacking your offspring like a loon..

Corporal punishment at school certainly was a deterrent too. I had the Caine at school and the ruler over the hand, and it did the trick or at least made me think twice.

It's maybe not all about the act, the fear of receiving punishment kept me on the straight and narrow, well almost. I used to fear the police not because of the chance of getting arrested, but getting a clip around the ear, then getting taken home to have another one off my mum but with slipper attached to the offending hand

I was a 70's child and an 80's teen so it was the dark ages.

Last edited by MickWrx; 05 February 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:09 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember the last time I smacked my kids (probably just before my wife cut my hands off ). If I felt it was necessary I would do it again, but to be honest the worst I seem to get off them at the moment is tantrums and spoilt brat behavoiur which can be dealt with in other ways.

Removal of priviledges (DS, Playstation, favourite toys and staying up at weekends) often works, and failing that both my kids hate having early nights. Speaking of which they've been right grumps today because they are tired so I'm off to put them to bed. Roll on the fireworks.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:14 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickWrx
I know it is not politically correct, but i believe smacking does make a difference, I certainly don't mean attacking your offspring like a loon..

Corporal punishment at school certainly was a deterrent too. I had the Caine at school and the ruler over the hand, and it did the trick or at least made me think twice.

It's maybe not all about the act, the fear of receiving punishment kept me on the straight and narrow, well almost. I used to fear the police not because of the chance of getting arrested, but getting a clip around the ear, then getting taken home to have another one off my mum but with slipper attached to the offending hand

Ditto... some kids know where to stop when it comes to misbehaving so dont need to be corrected apart from a telling off, i wasnt one of them i needed a smack to know i had gone to far and the fear of my next smack usually ment i would behave at least for a while anyway
Old 05 February 2009, 07:19 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I use the 'squeeze really hard on there hand' while maintaining a smile technique
Old 05 February 2009, 07:19 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I dont have kids yet so I cant comment to much, however... When I was at school (typical Surrey boys school) if I was naughty I would get my knuckles wrapped with a ruler.
If I did it again it was a cane across the back of the legs. I am not sure what the 3rd punishment was as no-one ever did it 3 times.

It worked well for me. I respected my house master, I knew when to wind my neck in.
I cant say I would be upset if the same was to happen to my children.

Last edited by Timwinner; 05 February 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:21 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

i remember the the clips round the ear etc..... probably deserved it but it works, teachers throwing things at you not that there were meant to when i went to school but it still happened remember telling my dad about the chalk board rubber being lobbed at me his comment was did u deserve it.just think of the kane as a punisment then.
i can not remember kids going round stabbing each other on a daily basis when i was at school can anyone else?

Have the same thoughts though do u do remove all priviladges suffer even more greif tantrums etc for a few hours and it will fail if they are pushing the right buttons. if that fails u know what comes next........
Old 05 February 2009, 07:41 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

I know it sounds like pink and fluffy land, but no there were no stabbings at school or at least my schools, the only real fear was getting launched over the caretakers privit hedge.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:47 PM
spireite
BANNED

I remember my mother slapping me across the face with the slipper for giving her lip,she couldn't contain herself from laughing when i burst out laughing.I never gave her any grief again though . Only got cained once at school once was enough
Old 05 February 2009, 07:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I know it sounds like pink and fluffy land, but no there were no stabbings at school or at least my schools, the only real fear was getting launched over the caretakers privit hedge.
Same in my school mate - well the 'Head' had a cane that was held together by black insulating tape. Even the a mention of 'The Zebra' meant you didn't think about keying cars or being cheeky to the dinner ladies!

They probably give 'Heads' these days a biro and a form to keep order

D
Old 05 February 2009, 07:56 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Absent fathers are probably the single biggest cause of feral kids.

If you have to hit your kid then you've lost the battle already.
Old 05 February 2009, 07:57 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is supposed to be tongue in cheek but I'm implementing it immediately

CHILDREN TOLD TO SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE **** UP FOR 18 YEARS - The Daily Mash
Old 05 February 2009, 08:00 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Same in my school mate - well the 'Head' had a cane that was held together by black insulating tape. Even the a mention of 'The Zebra' meant you didn't think about keying cars or being cheeky to the dinner ladies!

They probably give 'Heads' these days a biro and a form to keep order

D

The Zebra, I can just picture the banter, The Zebra will give you stripes
Old 05 February 2009, 08:03 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with smacking children ..

I was smacked and I get up for work each day, pay all my bills on time and look after my family .. would I have if I hadn't been smacked? maybe...

I think the the problem is when some parents take it too far. Kids in my school were physically scared of their parents .. I didnt like being smacked but I didnt fear it.
Old 05 February 2009, 08:08 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
If you have to hit your kid then you've lost the battle already.
Disagree J. It worked well when the world was a better place with less crime, more manners, less PC *****-footing about and much better behaviour and general society all 'round after all

I certainly don't feel damaged by a few belts & smack for being WAY out of line when young, but I smack 0.2% of what my parents did/the way it was. Pretty good compromise I think and it WORKS!

My kids are going to be pillars of society/angels

D
Old 05 February 2009, 08:14 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

All this it worked for me stuff is fine as far as it goes - The sorts of Kids that are going round sticking two fingers up at authority are doing so bacause they have no respect for others.

Hitting them will do nothing to improve things.

Sterilising them, their parents and their kids will clear it up in a generation or two.
Old 05 February 2009, 08:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Its also the PC culture and the ligatious society that we live in. Teacher disciplines pupil, parents sues, parent smacks child, parent gets arrested and reported to social services, remonstrate with a kids damaging your property, you get arrested, a minor persistantly shoplifts/vandalise property/generally cause a nuisence, Police are powerless to do anything except give them a ticking off, kids break the law to gain "respect" from their peers; Is it any wonder that kids have no respect for authority. Now they go round in gangs and stab and shoot each other.

Discipline and respect have to instilled at an early stage, not when they're in a youth detention or prision. Its too late then.
Old 05 February 2009, 08:22 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

My kids are going to be pillars of society/angels
I'm sure they will be.

But it will be because you've brought them up correctly - not because you've hit them while you were doing it .

Kids should be smacked - but not to teach them discipline - but to teach them there's always gonna be a big bugger willing to hit you !
Old 05 February 2009, 08:24 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i have 2 boys 14 and 11. i have never ever hit them, some parents need to use violence as part of their discipline, but it is not productive and encourages violence. my dad used to hit me, and although i forgive him as he did what he thought was right at the time, i became a violent and agressive child as i thought thats what it is supposed to be like when someone makes you angry, it was only when i went to the big school and got into many fights and had a few hidings that i realised it was not good, and i will never put my kids through that. it makes me so upset to see an adult who is 2 or 3 times the size of a child hit the child, there is always another way.

Quick Reply: smacking your kids,