Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I need some audio help....

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2009, 11:17 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some audio help....

OK, it's for my car and I have posted in the correct section but I figured that the same rules apply to non-car audio too despite different ohm-age

See this thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/7429...wer-ratio.html

I just need to know what power amp will serve my needs best for components with a 110w RMS output (330 max) at 4 ohms.

I have to get the stuff ordered today hence the impatience for an answer

Cheers

Sal
Old 02 February 2009, 11:52 AM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Things in mind to consider is a thing called clipping, which is not good for speakers. And worth noting is the wiring upgrade required as your dash lights will dim with every beat. Of course I am talking worst case scenario but as a matter of course its worthwhile upgrading the existing power supply looms to accomodate extra power draw.

Speaker output along with amp outputs are confusing. i prefer to work with RMS as a measure, as max power is not always accurate.

I would say given the spec of the components, that a decent 100w RMS amp will be ample and wont clip your speakers.

Its open to discussion, just my opinion given here.

HTH
Old 02 February 2009, 01:02 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Forget 'max' power as it is hard to define, but stick to RMS. If your speakers say 110W RMS, then this is the maximum they will take before the voice coils start to melt. So, any amp up to this power output (@4 ohms) will be fine. You can go above this, but just be careful with the volume ****.

If you choose a too low power amp, then it will 'clip' at a lower volume and also fry the spekers, so don't go for less than 30W/channel.

More power doesn't always mean more volume, it also means better dynamics and quality.

Anything in the 50-150W range would probably be fine, but go for quality over quantity.