Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cruise Con - or is it Standard Policy?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2009, 03:47 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cruise Con - or is it Standard Policy?

Went into the Travel Agent to look at the Independance of the Seas Cruise Liner and a view to taking a trip on her.

Sat down, went through the usual .... THEN - the Agent recommended that I pay for the TIPS now!! Up Front!! It would be about £60 A PERSON!!

WTF?! I haven't even seen what they can do for me! OH, she said, they turn your bed linen into frigging ANIMALS!! SO BL00DY WHAT!?

If I like what they do for me, I may tip whoever I please - the amount I please - whenever I please!!! I DO NOT want to be told I have to pay up front!!!

You will be rather embarrassed if you do not buy the gratuity package, she said ............... you frigging watch me I said!!

Rant over, thanks for listening! Is this practise normal??
Old 01 February 2009, 03:51 PM
spireite
BANNED

We go on the Independance of the seas in May ,speaking to Royal Carribean they say don't pay it to the travel agent as they take amassive cut out of it .
Old 01 February 2009, 03:55 PM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

What would you say though when your waiter is hovering around you after a meal?

Don't worry about the tip mate I paid it to the travel agent??
Old 01 February 2009, 03:56 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The TA says it is MUCH cheaper top buy THEIR vouchers then you dish out to whoever you fancy.

Say 3 of us are going, and some porter carries all our bags up to the cabin and empties them, irons the creases out and hangs them in 'day order' - then , I will probably tip him - but that will NOT be a tip from EACH person in the cabin ........... it will be ONE tip for the cabin!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 01 February 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01 February 2009, 04:02 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

It is normal to pay a tip package but I've never done so before a cruise, usually (unless you request otherwise) the tips are added to your room account card. The problem with not opting for this is that the staff will be told you have opted out, while in theory it shouldn't affect their service towards you if a large percentage of passengers opt out it can lead to low moral amongst the staff.
I just factor it into the cost of the holiday overall.
Old 01 February 2009, 04:06 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

So? If I don't pay the Tip Package I won't get my pillow turned into a Babboon? GOOD!!!!!
Old 01 February 2009, 04:09 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Nah, it's not your pillow, usually it's your towel or (if you leave them lying on the bed) then your jimjams.
Old 01 February 2009, 04:15 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lydia72
Nah, it's not your pillow, usually it's your towel or (if you leave them lying on the bed) then your jimjams.
..or your skid marked undies made into an Okapi
Old 01 February 2009, 04:17 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

There's a review here of the IOTS, if you haven't already been on it's a really good forum for cruise questions and answers.
Our Independence of the Seas Vacation 1/18/09 - Cruise Critic Message Boards
Old 01 February 2009, 04:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

we payed when we did a nile cruise...

the tour guide reccomended £5 egyptian per day for our room man

so it worked out to £5 sterling for the week

bargin, and we gave it direct to the room man, he was over the moon

Mart
Old 01 February 2009, 04:36 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
we payed when we did a nile cruise...

the tour guide reccomended £5 egyptian per day for our room man

so it worked out to £5 sterling for the week

bargin, and we gave it direct to the room man, he was over the moon

Mart
Was that in a Banana Boat?
Old 01 February 2009, 04:57 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We've cruised the Med a few times, and did the Caribbean with Celebrity (a US company) a few years back. Always tipped at the end of the cruise.
Old 01 February 2009, 05:09 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tip is just that - for good service, not in advance for them doing their job

If you really feel that you want to, then pay the travel agent total of £5 and say that's all you feel it's worth, now give me the bl00dy vouchers
Old 01 February 2009, 05:14 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I am off the opinion that Tips just allow the Owners to pay crap wages in the first place!!
Old 01 February 2009, 05:53 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I do find it very bizarre this whole tips thing!

I just got back from 2 weeks in Cuba and we treated ourselves to 2 nights in a 5 star all inclusive (the rest was mostly B&B with Cubans). Now the key here is the word 'all inclusive', but the mostly Canadian guests were often to be seen carrying a money box 'round their neck all day to source tips.

Dont get me wrong we tipped good service when we had trousers on (and hence coins/wallets/pockets) but the formality of this informal arrangement was a bit odd. They tipped gardeners, beach rakers, the lot. It would be quite easy for the pool cocktail man to make $40 a day in tips - far more than doctors earn in a week in Cuba!

Dunno - just looking for anothers more British perspective here as I found it all a bit out of step with me. What we did was gave lifts in our 'privilige' of a hire car to over 100 people, haded out dozens of toothbrushes (v expensive in Cuba!), loads of biros and gave all the toiletries we could carry to locals. We even fed half our over-indulgent meaty breakfasts to emeciated dogs. Those type of actions sat a lot better with me, and especially as it was Xmas

What IS the British take here?

D
Old 01 February 2009, 06:10 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Went on the voyager of the seas a few years ago and put the tips into the envelopes provided on the last night of the trip. It did seem a bit contrived to me, and pissed me off a bit giving money to a guy that just hovered around the dinner table with a jug of water. Having said that the service around the cabins was fantastic and i`m guessing they only get paid pennies.
Old 01 February 2009, 11:02 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Envelopes provided? What? Are they Labelled TIPS or something?

Anyway, if it's the end of the cruise I can ignore them ..... the worst that can happen is my luggage ends up in the harbour!!
Old 02 February 2009, 09:25 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I was on an American flagged boat recently, and the tips thing is very much in your face. The agent wanted us to pay tips before we got on the boat, staff were happy to accept tips direct from you. Every single bill you got had a compulsory 10% gratuity added, and in addition another line where you could add more. Then, on the final night a batch of envelopes arrived, each one addressed to different areas of service you had received so you could leave more tips.

There were also boxes around the ship where you could post tips, and the TV in your room had an account section where you could pay "online" tips.

I don't personally get the tipping culture, to me its more like begging. I gave the odd tip out, but it was the exception and not the norm.
Old 02 February 2009, 11:09 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

What a load....

Seriously if people expect tips then I'm not feckin tipping at all...... I hate money grabbing sharks, as they're just looking at you being there *** making a few quid, rather than making your holiday special... which is what they actually get paid for!!
Old 02 February 2009, 12:28 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I LIKE the British perspective!

Anyone fancy taking this one to TripAdvisor for a bit of inter-cultural fun D
Old 02 February 2009, 01:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Went into the Travel Agent to look at the Independance of the Seas Cruise Liner and a view to taking a trip on her.

Sat down, went through the usual .... THEN - the Agent recommended that I pay for the TIPS now!! Up Front!! It would be about £60 A PERSON!!

WTF?! I haven't even seen what they can do for me! OH, she said, they turn your bed linen into frigging ANIMALS!! SO BL00DY WHAT!?

If I like what they do for me, I may tip whoever I please - the amount I please - whenever I please!!! I DO NOT want to be told I have to pay up front!!!

You will be rather embarrassed if you do not buy the gratuity package, she said ............... you frigging watch me I said!!

Rant over, thanks for listening! Is this practise normal??
That really is beyond the pale, especially if as someone said, they take a cut themselves.

Paying of tips in advance is quite wrong to my mind. A tip is a reward for good service rendered and there is no way one should have to pay it before receiving the service.

Les
Old 02 February 2009, 01:43 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
That really is beyond the pale, especially if as someone said, they take a cut themselves.

Paying of tips in advance is quite wrong to my mind. A tip is a reward for good service rendered and there is no way one should have to pay it before receiving the service.

Les
Most companies in the UK take a cut, especially if you do it electronically with the "add a gratuity" thing on the handsets. 40 to 50% in some cases.

Best to leave cash for your waiter if you liked their service.

I am against the whole US thing of topping up wages with (and taxing) tips. As said, tips should be for outstanding service not for someone doing their job or an excuse to pay badly.

5t.
Old 02 February 2009, 02:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
The amount of people who tip excessively is very very small so if you do you are always remembered and remembered well
Yes and all for the wrong reasons. Excessive tipping shouldn't be a substitute for being polite or having manners and actually bringing something to the table.

Likewise expecting tips without the service is plain wrong. If tips drive service then whatever happened to good old work ethics. If the employees do get cráp wages and rely on tips then the employers should be accountable.

Personally I think cruises are largely pretentious outings for those that think they are important and therefore tipping over and above the norm allows them to revel in the artificial importance while it lasts.
Old 02 February 2009, 02:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I'm always excessively polite and go out of my way to be helpful and as fuss free as possible as well as tipping well. Restaurants, hotels, bars, taxis, strippers, etc, they all love me
Nat, but you shouldn't be buying friends, just stick to being polite.

Quick Reply: Cruise Con - or is it Standard Policy?