Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this true about job interviews...

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2009, 11:07 AM
C4 WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this true about job interviews...

Is it true that its bad etiquette to have a copy of your own CV in front of you during a job interview?

I went for an interview for an accounts assistant role and the financial controller later pointed out to me that it doesn't look good when you have a copy of your own CV in front of you in an interview, it should all be in my own head etc.
I told him i only had it there as a memory jog and was not aware that it was bad practice. I said I appreciated his honesty and will take it on board for the future blah blah blah.

Was the interviewer just being a d1ck or is it actually common knowledge that you shouldn't have your CV in front of you in an interview?
Old 30 January 2009, 11:12 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

One of 2 things, the interviewer either thinks, you lied about your CV and its their to make sure you keep to what you put. Or he'll think youve come prepared to hand a copy over just in case they came unnprepared.

Personally, Id take the CV with me regardless, not that Id have it in front of me, I'd probably turn up with it in a folder or something so its their if needed/requested
Old 30 January 2009, 11:13 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he was being a dick tbh, if it was me I wouldn't of taken my cv in though
Old 30 January 2009, 11:18 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I've never taken a CV to an interview or had anyone in an interview bring one.
I would think it weird to have an interviewee with a CV they referred to during an interview.
And any interview I've been to, I've sent my CV beforehand and would wonder why they were asking me for copies when they've had it all along. Would I want to work for a company or boss who wouldn't/couldn't use a photocopier or printer?
Old 30 January 2009, 11:49 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Why would you need your CV in an interview. The only thing I'd struggle with is dates, just beacause I'm crap at them, but if asked about a specific date I'd just say I can't remember, not that I've ever been asked.

I do always take a couple of copies with me just in case they don't have one though.
Old 30 January 2009, 11:54 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've tripped up on dates before but easy to forget them.

I'd expect someone to have something with them - a notepad and maybe a company brochure and/or some research for an interview.

Coming with nothing just annoys me.
Old 30 January 2009, 12:05 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

LOL, I have had quite a few telephone interviews over the years... its like mission control at nasa... 2 laptops, 1 desktop running dual screens - all with key websites and docs up and running, various books, papers etc.

They could ask me anything and there is not much Wiki does not know

But in fairness.... it does take a lot of skill to google something quickly during an interview..

And I do say on my CV, excellent IT skills.

Them were'th days.
Old 30 January 2009, 01:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

personally I think he's being a bit of a ****

although it depends on the manner in which he told you -- if was in a very condescending manner then he's a massive ****

If he was being genuinely helpful I would give him the benefit of the doubt

having said that I wouldn't have my CV on the desk in front of me, although I would have it with me

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 January 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 30 January 2009, 01:45 PM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

I would always take a copy of my CV to an interview, not only to refer to, but also in case the interviewer/s don't have a copy. I've always been told its very unprofessional not to have CV + supporting evidence on hand.
Sounds like he was being a bit of a ****, maybe he wanted to challenge you on something and the CV wa the only thing he could find.
Old 30 January 2009, 01:45 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

He's right.

you should know everything on your CV. Thats why you should never lie on your Cv
Old 30 January 2009, 01:50 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I have and am sure will interview many people for jobs.

If someone had a CV in front of them it would not bother me at all.

If someone had a CV in front of them that they had to refer to, or used as reference with me I would think it was a bit odd.
Old 30 January 2009, 01:51 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

If someone had there CV with them and referred to it during an interview, I am quite confident I wouldn't give them a job.
Old 30 January 2009, 02:01 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
If someone had there CV with them and referred to it during an interview, I am quite confident I wouldn't give them a job.
I'm with you on that one.
If you wrote your CV you should know whats on it.

its only to easy to get a pro to write your CV these days
Old 30 January 2009, 03:12 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Always take several copies with you. If they don't have one then you can supply one.

More importantly, I've been to several interviews where the company have been provided information edited by an agency to suit the role. This sometimes omits important information and other qualifications and experience that may be pertinent.

You don't necessarily want it in front of you though. Unlike a notpad and pen which always looks good and can be very useful for noting names/positions and other info. You can refer back to points when they ask you if there's anything else you want to know - Rather than looking like a dumbass.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:25 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

I always take a document folder with me with several copies of my CV, covering letter and my note pad and pen for asking them a few questions at the end. An interview can go both ways.

Show's your prepared. I wouldn't think anything of a person having their CV out next to them in an interview. But I'd be wary if they constantly referred to it and basically read it back word perfect on questions asked.

Sounds like the FC is a ***** or was having a bad day.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:47 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend works for Siemens in a senior role, she said that when she interview, and sometimes this for 100k plus jobs if the candidate doesnt have a copy of there CV, a job description and some notes and questions she wont entertain the interview.

An interview isnt a memory game, its an interview and its excepted, well in her line of work anyway that people are nervous and need crib sheets. n
Old 30 January 2009, 05:32 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I have had a copy of CV with me but I wouldn't refer to it unless there was something specific pointed out which showed I actually I knew what I was talking about (or had memorised it all )

Main thing imo is not to sound like a voice recorder when you are in an interview, you should come across genuine and sound like you believe what you are talking about.
Old 30 January 2009, 05:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C4 WRX
Was the interviewer just being a d1ck or is it actually common knowledge that you shouldn't have your CV in front of you in an interview?
Probably, yes. You should always have it, although I wouldnt sit with it on my lap...
Old 30 January 2009, 08:26 PM
C4 WRX
Scooby Regular

Nice to read everyones opinions.
I have concluded that someone must have p1ssed in the interviewer's cornflakes this morning because i'm sure I only happened to glance down at my CV once in the whole interview.
I don't think i want the job if that's what the boss is going to be like.
Old 30 January 2009, 08:30 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

I've never taken my CV to an interview but when I was interviewed for my current job they put a copy in front of me and asked me to talk them through it.