GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*sharp intake of breath*
Old 29 January 2009, 03:04 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

thousands have been paid off recently and companies are hiring foreign labour, cant blame the peeps from being pi$$ed off TBH
Old 29 January 2009, 03:09 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scaffolder's up here at longannet power station have all walked in support of the guys down south.
Old 29 January 2009, 03:10 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by g7prs
The scaffolder's up here at longannet power station have all walked in support of the guys down south.

cape i presume
Old 29 January 2009, 03:14 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and they might also have walked out over at grangemouth but that hasnt been confirmed.

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2009, 03:18 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Anyone else wondering who "Beverley Guardian" is, or is it just me?
Old 29 January 2009, 03:27 PM
spireite
BANNED

I now have a day free tomorrow if anyone requires a H&S consultant
Old 29 January 2009, 03:29 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spireite
I now have a day free tomorrow if anyone requires a H&S consultant
That's what I am!

Steve
Old 30 January 2009, 02:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If I lived near there I would join the demonstrators. I think they are right to protest. Stuff the Eu and its regulations I say, its time the authorities stuck behind their announcemen of British Jobs for British workers.

Les
Old 30 January 2009, 02:32 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

You didn't see the Germans kicking off when we filmed Auf Wiedersehen, Pet !
Old 30 January 2009, 02:34 PM
New_scooby_04

YouTube - they took our jobs

DEYTOOOERRJERBS!!!!!
Old 30 January 2009, 02:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Good luck to them.

An Italian company wins a contract, and instead of hiring local skilled workers, the ship in 300 foreigners to do the work instead.

TBH this could just be the start. We've put up with ever increasing number of foreign workers coming to our shores, but it didn't seem too bad, as the economy was booming. Now British workers are losing jobs left right, and centre, there is bound to be bad feelings when Mr. X is sat at home earning £35 a week on Benefits with a family to support, when a foreign worker is getting paid to do a job Mr. X is more than skilled to do.

This is just the start.........
Old 30 January 2009, 02:56 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If I lived near there I would join the demonstrators. I think they are right to protest. Stuff the Eu and its regulations I say, its time the authorities stuck behind their announcemen of British Jobs for British workers.

Les
Disagree. If we can't put forward a bid that is more competative than bringing in a load of Italians and Portugese to do a job on our own doorstep then they need to have a look at themselves.

Not sure why we should pay extra so some bloke from this country can scratch his bum and have a lot of tea breaks.

Don't get me wrong if it is a choice between Brits and others then we should definately give it to the Brits but they have to compete. Giving someone the job as a right or because it is legislated for simply breeds inefficiency.

EDIT - The last part of the comment is generally, i'm not up for all the quota of black disabled lesbians etc either, best person for the job should get the job.

What we need to do here is find out why a British company, with British staff couldn't outbid this lot who are putting the staff up in barges on the river FFS!

5t.

Last edited by fivetide; 30 January 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Got to remember all these jobs the foreigners are in were available ages ago when we had many unemployed lazy **** brits sat at home earning benefits.

Dont get me wrong, there are some good people out there struggling for work and want to work. Swings and roundabouts IMO. Nobody is entitled to ****.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Disagree. If we can't put forward a bid that is more competative than bringing in a load of Italians and Portugese to do a job on our own doorstep then they need to have a look at themselves.

5t.
It's not quite as simple as that though. I'm in construction, and our liability insurance premium jumped 100% a year or so ago. We've never made a claim in 15 years of trading, but overnight we had to pay £150k a year. Now, consider having your overheads shoot up overnight. Also, all the other Taxes new labour has squeezed out of British companies. Fuel increases etc etc, and British companies have there hands tied behind there backs when it comes to competing with foreign companies.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:11 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

How come the French protest better than us? Is it taught at the ecole?
Old 30 January 2009, 03:11 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

good for them something has to be done
Old 30 January 2009, 03:20 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
It's not quite as simple as that though. I'm in construction, and our liability insurance premium jumped 100% a year or so ago. We've never made a claim in 15 years of trading, but overnight we had to pay £150k a year. Now, consider having your overheads shoot up overnight. Also, all the other Taxes new labour has squeezed out of British companies. Fuel increases etc etc, and British companies have there hands tied behind there backs when it comes to competing with foreign companies.
I imagine that any contractor, regardless of nationality, will have to have at least £10 million liability insurance to get past first stage of the tender process for Total.

Steve
Old 30 January 2009, 03:21 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
How come the French protest better than us? Is it taught at the ecole?
1. They have never had a government that has removed strker's rights, removed union rights and even removed the working man's RIGHT to strike.
The Tories, and lately Labour, have done all three.

2. The French Police, CRS etc all belong to unions, so will not interfere with other unions' actions, unless there is excessive violence.

3. They do not have a police force who are an auxilliary set of enforcers and bullies for the government.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:22 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The insurance problem wasn't just limited to UK companies though, I would imagine foreign contractors would have had to contend with similar jump in costs, same with fuel to an extent.
Not only that, but the tendering process in just about every major construction project is riddled with corruption & back-handers.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:24 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Understand although would they also not have to have UK cover?

Anyway, that was the point of this bit "What we need to do here is find out why a British company, with British staff couldn't outbid this lot who are putting the staff up in barges on the river FFS!"

5t.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:48 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
I imagine that any contractor, regardless of nationality, will have to have at least £10 million liability insurance to get past first stage of the tender process for Total.

Steve
Yes, but premium prices will vary between countries. Here it may be £150k, but in Italy it may just be £50k pa.

A £100k overhead ontop of your competitor can have a major effect your tender price.

It's not just greedy British companies out for what they can get.
Old 30 January 2009, 03:55 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I have an idea. Lets introduce a 80/20 rule, (I know it already exists in sales and other industries) but lets say that a company can only employ 20% of its workforce from outside the UK.

Run the country I could.

Aren't they going to do that in Football too?

Last edited by rr_ww; 30 January 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 30 January 2009, 04:04 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Good. It's about time there was mass unrest at the way the government has allowed the EU member states to walk all over the UK.

People are at the point now when they have had enough of the exploitation and the lack of will on behalf of Nu Labour to stand up to the Eurocrats in Brussels. This is genuine and quite justified anger.

Maybe it's the start of the revolution that will put an end to this ghastly, incompetent and unelected regime that is in the process of destroying what's left of our economy.
Old 30 January 2009, 04:09 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Personally I think its a great idea. Companies should scour the world to get cheap labour and replace all British workers.

Then when we're all at home on £35 a week, and their is no-one buying any of our goods, as foreign workers send most of their money home, we can put the shutters up and turn out the lights as the UK will be finished for good.

Bosses. Your employee is also your customer. If he has no money, he doesn't buy your goods/services.
Old 30 January 2009, 04:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
PS: have you seen the video from Davos when Flash's phone goes off in his speech - twice!!!! BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Davos World Economic Forum 2009 | Brown interrupted by his mobile
Good again. It showed the whole world what an incompetent imbecile the man is. Who is going to seriously take any advice from somebody who can't even control their own mobile phone.

BTW - notice (as always) the complete absence of any sort of apology that would have come naturally to a normal person in such a situation.

Last edited by unclebuck; 30 January 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 30 January 2009, 04:20 PM
spireite
BANNED

Ananova - Walkouts As Oil Plant Anger Grows

More walkouts are you watching flash

Rumour as it Ferrybridge and Eggborough will be next

Last edited by spireite; 30 January 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Strike over foreign workers