Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any advice on renting a cottage in Brittany?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2002, 08:06 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I hope to have a family holiday in Brittany this year and have been doing a fair bit off "surfing" to find helpful websites etc and am finding some interesting possibilities. However, is there anyone out there who has done this and "got the teeshirt" as any advice would be much appreciated. Wife & 2 kids 5&4 yrs old.

Thanks

Jerome
Old 21 February 2002, 08:40 PM
pedestrian
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid I cant offer much help as I went in a gete(spelling?) with my parents when I was a small child.

The reason why I'm replying, and I dont want to put you off, is the locals of Brittainy HATE the British. The scenary is very relaxing, but the locals really do detest the Brits.

Like I say, I dont want to put you off, but thought I'd lend you my experience in that respect.
Old 21 February 2002, 09:43 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes, I heard that before but thought the country people at least were very hospitable. I too had a few childhood hols in France and found the people to be very nice indeed but maybe they treat the Irish a bit differently, I don't know.

Thanks for the warning though.
Old 21 February 2002, 09:51 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I've just spent a night in a cottage with Britney........does that count
Old 21 February 2002, 10:50 PM
pedestrian
Scooby Regular

I think it's only Britanny where there really is a general big dislike of the British. Elsewhere in France (and I frequently holiday there - lovely country) they tend to be okay, and the relationship between the nations is not as bad as some people make out (I think more so when you show them that not all Brits are obnoxious, rude and big-headed louts!).

The French do get on much better with Scots compared to the English, so perhaps this is true of other Celtic nations aswell????

Hope you get to find a nice place though and have a good holiday!

From PaulR's comments though I may contemplate taking my next holiday in Winona!!!!

[Edited by pedestrian - 2/21/2002 10:52:46 PM]

[Edited by pedestrian - 2/21/2002 10:54:44 PM]
Old 22 February 2002, 12:25 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Been to Brittany and Normandy loads. Used ot stay in Gites, look up 'Gites de France' and get their brochure. They tend to be old houses where the owner has moved into something more modern. Normally in tiny villages so very peaceful. Lots are on working farms, I've seen a calf being born and had great fun chasing goats around the places I've stayed in. Alternatively, I know someone who has a renovated artist's studio you could possibly rent. I've stayed there, and it's great! email me for more info.

With regard to things to see, places to go, here's the list:-
Mont St. Michel.
Fort De La Cite in St. Malo if you have sons who are into playing Germans & British.
Any D-day museum (Bayeux, St. Mere Eglise, Arromanches etc.).
The wierd rocks at Ploumanach.
There's some caves in the middle of Brittany somewhere.
There's a 100 ton rock that's so perfectly balanced you can wobble it somewhere.
Cap Frehel has good views and is best combined with Ploumanach.
Nuclear power station or reprocessing plant (can't remember which) at Flammanville has views over the channel isles
Beaches - Le Val Andre and St. Cast are ones I went to. The sea temp was 27 degrees at St. Cast as it came in over the hot sands!
Lots of village fetes in late summer.
Shopping - St. Brieuc or St. Malo. Local specialities are :- Seafood, Cider, and Calvados.
Dinan/Dinard is supposed to be pretty (can't remember which, but it's on a river).
Day trip to Jersey/Guernsey?
I've not really done much in southern or western Brittany so I can't help you there.
Whatever you do, your kids will probably love it assuming they can cope without going to theme parks! (There is a small water park near Paimpol I think though). I know my brothers and I did, and you'll enjoy the lack of traffic on the roads. Only things to watch out for are -
food poisoning from dodgy seafood esp. shellfish.
Sunday is a difficult day to get petrol on.
Shops close on strange days like mondays.
Check out when the local market days are.
Wet weather attractions can be a bit 'boring' although there is a huge aquarium in St. Malo (never been though).
Enjoy your trip!
Toerag
Old 23 February 2002, 05:07 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wow Toerag, you should write up a guide to Brittany professionally. Many thanks indeed for all the info. I did visit St Malo a few times when I lived in Jersey and Guernsey (Clos de Bas Green Lanes) and just loved the Langoustines. The Absolute End used to be the bizz too from memory.

Thanks again,

Jerome
Old 23 February 2002, 11:57 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

http://www.gites-de-france.fr/fr/index.htm
brilliant online booking system - I have used this service and have nothing but praise for the simplicity and efficiency of booking - not to mention the fact that you save a huge wad of cash not going through a uk tour operator.
The only issue is the vast amount of properties to let (the 'ears of corn' rating system at least makes sure that you know in advance exactly what you are booking in terms of luxury,equipment etc.)pick your desired area/town and then print a load of places out - leave plenty of time for this selection process and you will find just what you want.
I also have to say that brittany ferries service is top notch too - its just a pity that the ferries themselves are rusty old tubs - time they bought some new ones methinks.

btw - I lived and worked in brittany for a few years - it helps to know your way around the place - never had any problems with reception from locals - though I do speak fluent french which can be an advantage.

hope you get sorted

Paul W

[Edited by pwebb - 2/23/2002 11:58:19 PM]
Old 24 February 2002, 06:51 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Paul, I have had a look at that site and just cant seem to find any Gites with a private pool. The site seems to have different search engines for every region within Brittany which amounts to a lot of searching! I'll keep trying but the recommendation is much appreciated.

Jerome
Old 24 February 2002, 11:24 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Have a look on
http://www.holidaysuncovered.co.uk

[Edited by LeeMac - 2/24/2002 11:40:44 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 02:05 PM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

JFB,

I have to agree with Toerag.

My parents have a house just off the beach in Sables d'Or, which is between St Cast and Erquy ( SP ? ), the whole area is fantastic although I went there every summer for 10yrs so it does get a little boring...

The people are v friendly so long as you make an effort to communicate in French and there is loads to do if the weather is a little iffy..

Dinan is the place on the river which is approx 40min in land, and is a lovely french historic walled city...

If you go make sure you bother to walk down toward the river as there are loads of artisans and glass blowers which are great !

Also something which is fun for the kids are the traditional Breton festvals... Some are during the day, but the best are in the evening where you go and have huge bowls of mussles and bread all seating in a big communual eating area and then loads of entertainment is put on for the rest of the night !

To get there St Malo is teh easiest with Britanny Ferries, do teh overnight crossing get a cabin and when you wake up on the morning you drive straight off.. Alternatively Caen is a lot cheaper but then you have a 3 - 4 hr drive - The roads are good though and you get to see Mont St Micheal, which is amazing !

E - mail me if you need any more details - I know it pretty well !

Regards,

Paul
Old 25 February 2002, 08:28 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Paul and LeeMac. All points duly noted and am searching feverishly.

Jerome
Old 25 February 2002, 11:16 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Smile

Visited Brittanylast year for the first time. Didn't speak a word of French and NEVER got a hostile reception from anyone. It is a very relaxing place and you have to get used to just sitting in a cafe from 12pm till 2pm because EVERYWHERE (except Mc Donalds!) is closed. We are going back again this year with Brittany Ferries, the same company as last year. I am trying to learn a bit of French this time though.
P.S. Be careful with a British credit card as not everywhere accepts them. We found this out after filling the Scoob to the brim!!!!

Old 26 February 2002, 07:45 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Dave
Old 27 February 2002, 10:41 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Green lanes eh? Not a bad place to live.
You can also go to St. Malo on Condor wavepiercer from Poole & Weymouth, look at their website www.condorferries.co.uk