Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Industry to get Government Help

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2009, 12:53 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Car Industry to get Government Help

Hopefully it will save jobs and get full time working back for those affected?

Not sure it should be used to 'prop up' overpriced cars ..... but something is being done to help the market.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:24 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

1.Renounce the carbon obsession

2. Arrest all green party members

3.Tell the EU where to go

4.Stop taxing fuel to death

5.Road fund licence flat fee of £50

They would sell shed loads of cars rather than whatever it is they are going to do
Old 27 January 2009, 01:27 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti

They would sell shed loads of cars rather than whatever it is they are going to do
Agreed.

I read the other day that EVERY car in the world only amounts to something like 0.0026% of the worlds CO2 production. I think farting cows produce more!!
Old 27 January 2009, 01:40 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Wow, great news for those people who work at car companies.

Of course, for the millions of employees who are looking up, waiting for the axe to fall on their job, I'm sure this will have them rushing out in their droves to get credit ( nope ) for a new car ( double nope! )

At the moment, car companies are selling a product no-one wants. What a waste of space this Govt is.

Who's next, airlines? With the numbers of bums on seats falling, and flights being cancelled due to lack of pax, will we soon see BALPA ( the pilots union ) asking for Govt money?

Or maybe when Joe Public can't get his 2 weeks in the Costas for £20, the Govt will help out then?

And then you hear that Citigroup, who the US Govt have pumped $50 billion into, are buying $50million of that, on a new jet!

I tell you, the worlds gone mad.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:40 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Agreed.

I read the other day that EVERY car in the world only amounts to something like 0.0026% of the worlds CO2 production. I think farting cows produce more!!
Cow's produce >20% of global Co2.

Time for a MacDonalds 1/4 pounder tax methinks!
Old 27 January 2009, 01:50 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti

Apart from the EU one, I agree with this: Labour have gone a long way towards bringing down the car industry in the UK, and I'm including selling and maintenance in that equation.
Old 27 January 2009, 02:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I saw this on the news.....

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2009, 02:15 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Considering the support services based around the car industry and parts manufacture etc, jobs wise it looks like a good idea?....thing is though whose going to buy the cars still? shorely they need to get of the industries back for a while and make car buying a more viable option too.

What other industry do we still have now by the way, apart from car? do we have a lot left in this country? from what I understand its non existent now...well almost.
Old 27 January 2009, 02:29 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Hopefully it will save jobs and get full time working back for those affected?

Not sure it should be used to 'prop up' overpriced cars ..... but something is being done to help the market.

Prescott's not after another Jag is he
Old 27 January 2009, 03:32 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

in all fairness ive noticed the motor trade pick up quite well int he last few weeks, my phones havent stopped ringing about the cars i have for sale, i only trade from home but ive done 3 astra vans and 3 cars in the last 10 days, brothe rin law owns on workshop hes flat out as are most of the people i know its all a little more healthy
Old 27 January 2009, 06:24 PM
yoza
BANNED

Im still worried, I dont think what has been done is enough, maybe just enough for a temporary fix.

We still produced today 160 Freelanders and 60 Xtypes and that is the score for the rest of the week, but someone is still buying them.

But to get our shifts running again, and a full 5 day production week we need to double that score.
Old 27 January 2009, 06:34 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Its all well and good continuing to produce cars but whats the point if nobody is buying them?
Speaking for myself i have put my new car on hold as i'm not sure i'll be in a job in the near future. The powers that be can make it as easy as pie to get car finance it still wont sway me, i'm saving for a possible baron patch as far as work goes.
I work in the construction industry (Enginnering Consultants) by the way.
Nik.
Old 27 January 2009, 06:42 PM
yoza
BANNED

We only build a car when it has been ordered......so all the cars going down the line have customers waiting for them.

We dont stock pile.
Old 27 January 2009, 06:55 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

That's how it should be done but as i said in my last post i for one am not prepared to commit to a car at the moment as are many i would presume.

The bad news for the car industry is that cars are very much a luxury product and will fall way down the line of priorities as far as households are concerned at the moment.
Everyone i know is simply banking any savings made on mortgage repayment cuts.
How and when we can get out of this cycle is anyone's guess, i just hope its sooner rather than later because as with the car industry the construction industry is in a pretty bad state too.

Nik.

Originally Posted by yoza
We only build a car when it has been ordered......so all the cars going down the line have customers waiting for them.

We dont stock pile.
Old 27 January 2009, 09:07 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Wink

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I saw this on the news.....
Damn, I guess I must live in a cave, either that or I'm a complete retard, as I never seem to find such worthwhile topical subjects

Do you think I should use the Internet, or perhaps watch the telly now and again?
Old 28 January 2009, 08:11 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
in all fairness ive noticed the motor trade pick up quite well int he last few weeks, my phones havent stopped ringing about the cars i have for sale, i only trade from home but ive done 3 astra vans and 3 cars in the last 10 days, brothe rin law owns on workshop hes flat out as are most of the people i know its all a little more healthy
Think cheap second hand cars will be ok.Its the new stuff.

Some horrendous figure was qouted of the % of new cars bought on finance.I've thought it wrong for years that people are buying this way and it has distorted peoples way of viewing car purchases.

Even the poorest have the newest cars because they think £199 a month,not a £20k car.

Well,finance is scarce and there are tons of low mileage cars going for nothing.Who would be mad enough to buy new or take finance?
Old 28 January 2009, 09:12 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have only ever bought a brand new car once and then lost a fortune on it when I sold it 4 months later.... I have promised myself I will never by brand new ever again
Old 28 January 2009, 09:29 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

but listening to the lobbyist for the car industry speak, they seem to want the Gov to help people finance cars

isn't people buying too much on credit how we got into this mess in the first place
Old 28 January 2009, 09:31 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

They say this bailout will get consumers buying cars again.

Eh? Hows that then? People are losing their jobs, or are scared their job could be next. Credit is rediculous at the moment. Nationwide are quoting 9.7%, when base rate is 1.5%.

The Government shot themselves in the foot by increasing car Tax. People are scared of buying a so called "Gas Guzzler" incase the government hike the Tax upto £1000 a year.

Car prices started tumbling because of the new car Tax bands/prices. The credit crunch has only added to peoples whoes. Plus I think no one is convinced that not before long Petrol will start rising back upto £1.20 litre.

New Labour try to raise more Tax, and they end up losing more than they were getting in the first place. Priceless.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The REAL problem is that customers can't get credit so can't buy new cars.

Interesting to note really as it underlines how many people were buying cars on credit.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:35 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
but listening to the lobbyist for the car industry speak, they seem to want the Gov to help people finance cars
TBH I think that is sensible. OK, don't lend to those who can't afford it, but finance now is at silly rates of interest. Almost at 10% when base rate is at 1.5%.

More cars would be sold if credit on a car purchase was at say 5%. Not just on new but second hand cars too.

But obviously, we don't want to go back to the borrow borrow culture that has put us all in the sh*t.
Old 28 January 2009, 10:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There are some who say it would have been more effective if the Government lent to industry rather than give the 37 Billion to the banks to sit on and to pay their obscene salaries and bonuses out of!

I agree with lozgti, especially the bit about the Eu.

Les