Walsh Western delivery time

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2009, 09:08 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Walsh Western delivery time

Hi all

I ordered a laptop from dell last week, and checked their website every day to check on it's progress. When I got home late Friday afternoon, my order status on dell's site was saying complete, and that it was now in the hands of the delivery company - Walsh Western - to which there was a website link.

Used the tracking facility on their website which stated they would phone to arrange delivery. It also mentioned that they had phoned already and hadn't got an answer: which didn't happen as there were no missed calls on either my mobile or home phone. I then went back to my phone to find I had just missed a call(my phone had been on silent) from a witheld number. Took another look at the website, and sure enough, it was down as another failed attempt to get me - even though first one didn't happen.

So it was now about 4pm on Friday and I knew I wasn't going to be able to arrange delivery till Monday, and there was no way I could get in touch with them as they phoned me from a private number.

Checked my phone at 8 this morning but was leaving it on silent till I got out of bed about 10 mins later. Got up at 08:10, and went to put it on loud - 2 missed calls about 08:05. Again with no number...great.

Just checked their tracking service again, and they're now sending me a postcard! So how long do I have to wait now...a week? What kind of company phones you to arrange delivery from a witheld number?

Anyone else had any experience with Walsh Western, and was it good or bad?
Old 12 January 2009, 09:13 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure they delivered my Dell laptop, was a smooth and pain free process as far as I remember. Don't even remember getting called, pretty sure they just emailed to say what day it would turn up then I could re-arrange delivery if it wasn't suitable.

Only nuisance with Dell is they won't deliver to alternate addresses.
Old 12 January 2009, 09:16 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

Yes they will!
Old 12 January 2009, 09:19 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure they delivered my Dell laptop, was a smooth and pain free process as far as I remember. Don't even remember getting called, pretty sure they just emailed to say what day it would turn up then I could re-arrange delivery if it wasn't suitable.

Yeah I wish they had just emailed. Obviously Royal Mail etc just deliver to you and leave a postcard if you aren't in, and that's what I imagined would happen with this laptop...not all these daft phonecalls from a witheld number. Some people don't even answer calls from a 'private number'.
Old 12 January 2009, 09:40 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

No problems with my dell delivery and it was pretty prompt too.

Dell will deliver to alternate addresses other than the billing address like many providing the other address is registered with your card provider.
Old 12 January 2009, 09:46 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
No problems with my dell delivery and it was pretty prompt too.

Dell will deliver to alternate addresses other than the billing address like many providing the other address is registered with your card provider.
I definetly don't have any problems with dell, as they only took a few days to build and send my laptop for delivery. I'll no doubt be waiting twice as long as that on it being delivered, all because I missed a few phonecalls and I can't get in touch with them.
Old 12 January 2009, 12:20 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Emailed them, and was given a call centre number. Have just phoned that and arranged delivery for Wednesday, so fingers crossed. I'm starting to get worried though...if you type Walsh Western Dell into google there are a few horror stories.
Old 12 January 2009, 04:00 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Yes they will!
How did you sort this out?

My Father-in-law ordered one and they wouldn't let him change the delivery address after the order had been placed.
Old 14 January 2009, 11:18 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Ok time for an update.

I was due AM delivery of the laptop today. At 10.30 it still wasn't here so I checked my order status online, even though I was still fairly confident it would arrive.

Order status is - Misroute in transit.

So back on the phone to the call centre, and spoke to a very polite guy who said it had been sent to the wrong delivery depot.

This is the hilarious bit - it was sent to Glasgow instead of Carlisle...and it came from Hinckley in Leicestershire. Now, I live near Lanark, which is only 20 or so miles from Glasgow, yet they still have to send it back to the Carlisle depot for it to be delivered to me. What a bunch of useless cowboys of the delivery trade.

I now expect(or rather; don't) delivery tomorrow morning between 08:00 and 10:30. I've scanned through literally hundreds of stories of incompetance about Walsh Western though, so I'm not expecting much.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 14 January 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 14 January 2009, 11:34 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's a very complex business but how can so many courier companies make such an **** of it?

I had one two weeks ago with a contract that needed to get signed, wasn't here by 1600 so chased the senders, who chased the couriers who said "we're having difficulty finding your address".

Hhhmmm, so no thought to...
1 - Call the delivery number on the envelope....?
2 - Ask your office...?
3 - LOOK AT A FRICKIN MAP?????

It's not a difficult street to find, been here for many years, over a mile long and the numbers on the door are 18 inches high!!

And don't get me started on Citylink or Parcelforce!
Old 14 January 2009, 11:52 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

HankScorpio - Give these guys a break though - I mean it's easy enough to confuse Carlisle and Glasgow.

Connor_scotland - Well I'd never even heard of Walsh Western...and now I know why. Understandable not being able to find his house up that way though...are you not in the highlands?

Check this link out - Walsh Western Shambles - Harry Jackson
Old 16 January 2009, 02:32 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
HankScorpio - Give these guys a break though - I mean it's easy enough to confuse Carlisle and Glasgow.

Connor_scotland - Well I'd never even heard of Walsh Western...and now I know why. Understandable not being able to find his house up that way though...are you not in the highlands?

Check this link out - Walsh Western Shambles - Harry Jackson
Alan - to be fair to them that link is from 2005

I ordered a laptop from Dell last Sunday and it arrived via WW this morning at 08:30 ish

It arrived when they said it would.... thank god

Andy
Old 16 January 2009, 02:58 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Due to the nightmares with City Link when ordering from Overclockers I was REALLY relieved to see that you can now use collect at store. You pay online and they swipe the card used when you get there. Everything is ready and paid for.

Only convenient if you live reasonably locally (which I do) but it's great to have the option!

(although it now appears that OCUK are using DHL, which is also a relief!
Old 16 January 2009, 03:24 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
Alan - to be fair to them that link is from 2005

I ordered a laptop from Dell last Sunday and it arrived via WW this morning at 08:30 ish

It arrived when they said it would.... thank god

Andy
You just got lucky.

Well my laptop arrived yesterday afternoon, and I'm pretty impressed with it(the laptop - not those WW useless muppets).

To be fair to them though, their customer service was fine in my opinion: they were polite enough on the phone etc.

Alan

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 16 January 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 05:30 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
You just got lucky.

Alan
Completely agree with you on that one
Old 16 January 2009, 05:32 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I bought a Dell XPS 420 last year and it was delivered by Walsh Western. Watched my order move from the Dell site across to the WW site where it could be tracked every step of the way and delivered exactly when they said it would including a phone call to ensure we were in.

Also worth noting with Dell. I had a problem with the HD's (Samsung spinpoint issue) on my XPS, free phoned support spoke to a guy in Canada, then another in Ireland, finished up with an engineer on my doorstep the next morning to swap over the HD's. I cant fault their customer service or the kit, so I think you will be more than happy now.