HGV Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2009, 07:06 PM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HGV Drivers

Hi

Is there anyone on here who has recently passed or is taking HGV lessons ?

Its just I've booked a course and wanted to know peoples thoughts on the courses and what to work on for practical tests.

Thanks In Advance.
Old 11 January 2009, 07:23 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, did mine, both C and C+E late last year.

C took me a week, and the C+E bit, which was about 3 weeks later took 4 days, both including the test.

Not sure what your looking to do, but most jobs seem to want C+E, rather than just C, but if you've got something lined up, then don't worry about that.

I've not driven since I passed my test, as things have taken a down turn, but I've got a company who says I can drive to get experience with them once things pick up.

Also, if you are doing the C+E, make sure you do artic on not a drag. Whilst the drag might be easier, you don't see many on the roads or requirement for them.

As for the lessons, make sure your on 1:1 tution, and remember that you are paying them for a service, not the other way around. All my lessons were half days, with a break at a greesey spoon and I got on well with the instructor. I asked for the same one when I did my C+E, otherwise I could have got in quicker.
The school probably block books tests, so everything should line up, and you'll do 'n' number of days driving, then a test on the last day after an hour or so drive around to warm up.

Test wise, just be yourself. Both mine were nice, with the examiner willing to talk about just about anything you like. Use your mirrors, use your mirrors, and if your not sure, use your mirrors again. Whenever you drive past anyone on the pavement, check them in the mirror. Plan ahead, and don't go too fast.

And don't forget to lean out the window and shout, 'get yer tit%' out when you see a decent bird

If you want to know anything else, give me a shout.
Old 11 January 2009, 08:07 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

also keep your distance from the motor in front of youexaminers dont like you driving to close but i cant help my self
Old 11 January 2009, 08:14 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

hi mate,

not wanting to put a damper on it, but, jobs are few and far between at the mo, with plenty of experienced drivers out of work. some driving schools advertise that there's a driver shortage - there isn't. if you've not already paid for the course, start knocking on haulage firms doors to find out if there's any work in your area and if there is will they take on someone with no exp? i'm not trying to put you off, but wouldn't want someone spending there last of the savings or redundancy cash (not saying this is your case) having been told by the driving school there's plenty of work going.

as said above you'd be alot better off if you did the C+E aswell and as above again you'd be far better doing it in a artic, as the vast majority of C+E work is on a artic. i went to a different school to do my C+E as they used a full size curtain sided artic as oppossed a skelaton wagon and drag used by my 1st school or baby artics used by other schools. it might make it easier to pass, but once you've passed you're on own, for me it was better to be prepared better.

have you already taken the theory / hazard test?

as for the practical, alot of it is about keeping it moving (44ton takes abit to get going!) so practise in your car driving without stopping, look along way up the road and read it! don't charge up to red lights, slow down and give them time to change, time gaps into round abouts so you keep moving. it can be easier in a truck due to the lower ratio's. get into checking your mirrors everytime you change speed, change gear, aswell as the usual manouvers etc. the rest of it will just be getting used to the size of the vehicle and practise in using the grearbox. chances are it will be an 8 speed box with a 4 over 4 layout - 1st to 4th as in a car then flick a switch then put it back into 1st which is now 5th through to 8th, if that makes sense! its just a low / high range, think of a mountain bike with 2 rings at the front and 4 at the back!

have a look here TruckNet UK, The UK's #1 information portal for the UK transport industry

let us know how you get on

stevie
Old 13 January 2009, 01:07 AM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys alot more info than I expected Thanks alot.

Have only just got it my auntie was going to do it but couldn't find time so kinda bought it off here at a discount as I'm currently unemployed due to a redundancy and thought driving was a fairly safe bet. The course is for the C & C+E along with crash course into tachographs etc.

Haven't taken Hazard/Theory or medical yet as only signed it over on Friday night.

Which is the better reference material to use as I have been told the DSA ones are good but overpriced, just want the best head start I can get.

Thanks for all the tips guys will keep you all posted but gonna be a couple of weeks before I can get a medical.

Thanks
Dave
Old 13 January 2009, 07:28 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

this is what you need.

PCV HGV LGV PSV DSA DRIVING THEORY TEST TRAINING CD DVD on eBay, also Driving, Educational Reference, Software, Computing (end time 14-Jan-09 20:00:00 GMT)
Old 18 June 2009, 06:38 PM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I thought I would let you all know that I've done everything and finally passed my C+E on monday.

So thanks for all your info.

Dave
Old 18 June 2009, 07:54 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

nice one !
Old 18 June 2009, 08:57 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

welcome tu the world off driving trucks bin driving them 20 yrs now lol
Old 19 June 2009, 01:31 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx davs
Hi guys

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I thought I would let you all know that I've done everything and finally passed my C+E on monday.

So thanks for all your info.

Dave
Well Done

Thats the easy bit done

Hope you've got a GSH, coz you'll need it
Old 19 June 2009, 01:49 AM
Will
BANNED

Well done mate

Enjoy it
Old 19 June 2009, 09:44 AM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

Well done mate. I've been a truck driver for 10 years now and i bloody love it,especially in the summer!!!
Old 20 June 2009, 12:13 PM
wrx davs
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guys, need to find a job now that doesn't require a century of experience LOL