Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Urgent Help Required - Server or related Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 11:52 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Help Required - Server or related Jobs

I've been asked to attend an interview for a job ( a friend suggest my name to the company he works for), but I'm not sure exactly what the job is though its not quite what I'm used to. They are phoning me back later today for a chat and to arrange which day this week I meet them. The job is based in Manchester and don't want to waste my time and theirs going to an interview unless I can do the job.

Can anyone tell me whats involved with regards to installing hardware and software on corporate servers / networks?
I think its to do with server based printers and other peripherals being installed and set up.
I'm a very quick learner and nothing technical phases me. I have experience of hardware and software installation work before, but not directly to do with installing peripherals onto main servers.

Any pointers or website links so I can find out if I'm capable.

Thanks
Old 06 January 2009, 11:55 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

They have seen my CV already so I think they must feel I could possibly do the job.

Quite fancy a change of jobs, was talking about it yesterday as I'm fed up working for myself.
Old 06 January 2009, 11:58 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Don't panic Bob - you won't waste anyones time. Your mate thinks you're capable and his boss will be phoning up to have an informal chat. The very first question you ask is: What are the job details; and go from there.

Connecting printers to a server isn't actually connecting them to the Server They'll simply be network printers with a shared queue on the Server. It's easy enough to get the hang of and if you have desktop / basic server skills it'll be well within your capabilities.

Just have a chat and see how it goes. Something new is ALWAYS a worry, but I also see it as an opportunity.

Good Luck!
Old 06 January 2009, 12:04 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Normally I'm very confident, but all of a sudden I've gone a bit wobbly. I really want a change of career back to what I did years ago, but for the past few years I'm not done much IT. Worried things have moved on an I havent.

My mind has gone blank and I can't think of how I would do anything at the mo'.

Though I might not be up to the job from day 1, I know after a week or 2 I'll be fine. And the person who's moving to another area will be showing me the ropes for a few weeks before leaving. That much I do know.

If they ask me "how would you go about installing XYZ" I don't know I could answer them at present.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:34 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by 4X4BOB

If they ask me "how would you go about installing XYZ" I don't know I could answer them at present.
If you don't know the specific product, then a question like that would be harsh.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:47 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

No BS, be honest about experience and abilities, emphasise the skills you do have like technical aptitude, quick learner, following standards etc.
If this is setting up networked printers and the associated queues it's pretty straightforward (A quick count in my head and I reckon I've easily set up more than 5000 of these in the past!) and could well be a stepping stone to the new thing you're looking for.

Good luck.
Old 06 January 2009, 01:13 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

I intend in being as honest as I can, but I don't want to throw it away either!
It's about finding the right balance.

I guess the job can only be installing software and connecting the hardware, setting up the right protocols etc and making sure it all works.

I've worked on servers before, and done a fair bit of installation and comissioning work as well as on site customer training. But its been a few years now and I suppose I'm worried about saying something stupid or very basic.

Guess I have nothing to lose!

Just waiting for them to ring me back now.

Cheers
Old 06 January 2009, 01:19 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

or if you dont want it let me know the details as im finishing work soon (redundancy) and I.T is an area I am considering
Old 06 January 2009, 01:30 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
or if you dont want it let me know the details as im finishing work soon (redundancy) and I.T is an area I am considering
I'll keep that in mind, though I'd like the job myself.
My mate has told me what the pay is and its only £20k so not big bucks, but I don't want the job for the money as such. My wife earns enough to support us as it is, I just want to do something different and be on PAYE for a change, which I haven't been for over 8 years due to setting up my own business.

Not heard from the company yet, but my mate has emailed me to say the post comes with a vehicle as it covers various of the companies sites.
Free set of wheels is a bonus (apart from tax implications)

Cheers again
Old 06 January 2009, 01:31 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You could offer to do a 4 week trial?
Old 06 January 2009, 02:01 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
You could offer to do a 4 week trial?
Funny that you should mention that . . . .

Mate just emailed me to say they are contacting me by post not phone call (sounds like an 'F' off is coming my way), so I've sent them an email explaining I am available to do a work trial. Being my own boss it means I don't have to resign from my present job so not a problem to me.

Lets hope they go for it..

Thanks
Old 06 January 2009, 02:45 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Funny that you should mention that . . . .

Mate just emailed me to say they are contacting me by post not phone call (sounds like an 'F' off is coming my way), so I've sent them an email explaining I am available to do a work trial. Being my own boss it means I don't have to resign from my present job so not a problem to me.

Lets hope they go for it..

Thanks
nice tactic !! fingers crossed for you...
if you get stuck on anything when in the job, give "computer related" a shout, theres lots of helpful bods in there!!!
Old 06 January 2009, 02:56 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dazza

Always tend to find "Computer Related" more like a Gaming Forum when I've popped in for a look in the past
Old 06 January 2009, 02:58 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cheers Dazza

Always tend to find "Computer Related" more like a Gaming Forum when I've popped in for a look in the past

lol, believe me, there are some geeks lurking beneath the surface awaiting the right technical questions to come along!!!
Old 06 January 2009, 03:05 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

I can believe that
Old 06 January 2009, 03:17 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

OOPS

Double posted, so much for my IT skills!

Last edited by 4X4BOB; 06 January 2009 at 03:19 PM.