Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ARRRRRGGHHHHH! TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2009, 09:59 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRRRRGGHHHHH! TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON

Why are people driving around in the near dark when its snowing with NO lights on?

Am I the only one that cant understand why people are driving around with no lights on?

Nutters!

!2 cars I flashed on the main road from Ashfrod to Faversham, half switched them on the other half looked at me as if I was mad
Old 05 January 2009, 10:13 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happened to me going down the motorway at 11pm over christmas, black car no lights on, flashed them, didn't pay any attention then tried to race me
Old 05 January 2009, 10:14 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BigJay
happened to me going down the motorway at 11pm over christmas, black car no lights on, flashed them, didn't pay any attention then tried to race me
.........that was me
Old 05 January 2009, 10:31 AM
ChrisB

Either seems to be no lights at all, or... oh blimey, there's a tiny bit of mist in the air, I better press ever button I've got on the dash to look like a mobile christmas tree.
Old 05 January 2009, 11:01 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started on front fog lights.........
Old 05 January 2009, 11:15 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Lots of people by me just drive on sidelights in the dark

What annoys me further is that some of these cars I know have automatic headlamps (Renualts, new Golfs, etc). So they've manually turned them on when there was no need.

Christ how hard is to operate a simple switch? Or even just be able to leave it set on Auto?

Seriously, If I ruled the world, any person I catch driving on sidelights in the dark will have to take another driving test. Because usually their driving abilities appear to be somewhat below what I would call adequate.

One day I wish the authorities will get a grip on people who have poor driving abilities and are unable to correctly operate the vehicle they drive. Driving is a privilege not a god given right, and as such I feel there are too many drivers on the road who should have never been given a driving license in the first place. Because quite simply they don't have the mindset, aptitude or intelligence to correctly and safetly drive a car.

Right, I'm off to find some empty roads to practice some drifting

(joke btw - for the hard of reading )

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 January 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05 January 2009, 11:18 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My sides are on most of the time, and in poor weather im on main beam. The scooby lights were always on as they turned off with the ignition.

One of the problems for some is dashboard lights, and the manufacturers who thought it would be a good idea to illuminate them with the ignition, Seat being one of them.
On a well lit street, its easy for some to see dash lights and the road ahead, and think nothing more of it. Stupid but a fact.
Old 05 January 2009, 11:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The number of people who drive around in broad daylight does seem to be increasing, i can see why now - those hid lights are bloody annoying
Old 05 January 2009, 11:38 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
.........that was me
i thought i recognised those sideburns
Old 05 January 2009, 11:58 AM
Arab1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland
people driving with side lights an there fogs on pisses me off.

1. Its looks stupid in day time
2. its pointless
In reduced visability ie mist/fog I only have my fogs and side lights on, gives you better visability than dipped headlights.
Usually have my side lights on if on the motorway aswell no matter what time of day. Increasing your visability to lorries etc I think is good practise.
The amount of cars as stated above with no lights on in poor conditions is on the increase (seems like 75% are silver cars, do they think they glow in the dark )
Old 05 January 2009, 12:12 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arab1
In reduced visability ie mist/fog I only have my fogs and side lights on, gives you better visability than dipped headlights.
Usually have my side lights on if on the motorway aswell no matter what time of day. Increasing your visability to lorries etc I think is good practise.
The amount of cars as stated above with no lights on in poor conditions is on the increase (seems like 75% are silver cars, do they think they glow in the dark )
Just sidelights and fogs in fog is pretty idiotic too (Your lights are also supposed to show where you are as well as illuminate your path imo), nothing wrong with having your headlights on normally, yeah, full beams can be a problem, hence the foglights are supposed to work in tandem with the normal headlamps as far as I understood.
Otherwise, you either have problems with your eyesight or lights.
I don't even have front foglights, I don't really need them to be honest.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Agreed.

Another very important issue in the winter months is making sure you can see out of the car before you set off!

Sounds so bloody obvious yet, I've lost count of the number of people I've seen driving by peering out of the smallest gap they've buffed into their windscreen, rather than give the car the few minutes it needs stationary to clear the frost before setting off It's so dangerous! and all for the sake of a couple of minutes delay!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 05 January 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:16 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am one of the people that NEVER turn there lights off, The switch in the car is always left in the on position. It turns the lights off with the engine.

I have never understood side light, if its dull enough for lights, just put you lights on.

ps I dont have HID lights, just the normal subtle glowing Subaru ones.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:29 PM
Arab1
Scooby Regular

The European Community reckon its safer/more considerate to drive with side lights and fogs than it is to drive with dipped headlights in conditions of reduced visibilty. I admit some EC directives are "idiotic" but the above could soon be making an appearance in your Highway code.

Last edited by Arab1; 05 January 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:32 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
I am one of the people that NEVER turn there lights off, The switch in the car is always left in the on position. It turns the lights off with the engine.

I have never understood side light, if its dull enough for lights, just put you lights on.

ps I dont have HID lights, just the normal subtle glowing Subaru ones.
"subtle"... you must have forgotten that the word "feeble" exists.

IMO Sidelights/dim-dip are for being seen, headlights are for seeing. So twilight or long summer evenings, I'll use sidelights until I judge it dark enough to warrant using the headlights.

J.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
The number of people who drive around in broad daylight does seem to be increasing, i can see why now - those hid lights are bloody annoying
Old 05 January 2009, 12:47 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arab1
The European Community reckon its safer/more considerate to drive with side lights and fogs than it is to drive with dipped headlights in conditions of reduced visibilty. I admit some EC directives are "idiotic" but the above could soon be making an appearance in your Highway code.
Yep, that does sound like an idiotic directive.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:53 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Seasonal Advice : Driving in fog - The AA
Old 05 January 2009, 12:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Do you mean the number of people who drive with their headlights onin broad daylight?
Why does that make HID's annoying? They are not really that noticable in daylight.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:06 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

HID's are the devils tool! i hate seeing stupid clio's with there Ebay specials not correctly set up so they BLIND you

Thus why i went for Philip Xtremes and Osram Nightbreakers
Old 05 January 2009, 01:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
HID's are the devils tool! i hate seeing stupid clio's with there Ebay specials not correctly set up so they BLIND you

Thus why i went for Philip Xtremes and Osram Nightbreakers
lol go and have a look in here Subaru electrical
Old 05 January 2009, 02:20 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I always thought the point of frog lights being lower than headlights is so they could shine light "under" the fog and mainbeams just light it up like a big white blur and you can't see through it.
Old 05 January 2009, 03:35 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I believe people driving with their fogs on during the day, or in a little bit of rain is purely for one purpose

SO WE CAN ALL SEE THEM IN THEIR LOVELY SHINEY CAR, WHOOOOOO LOOK AT ME EVERYONE, I'M IN MY MUMMIES/DADDIES/BOY RACER/SHEDDTASTIC CAR,LOOK EVERYONE AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT.

or is it just me who finds these carpet munchers really infuriating ???????

I like to flash my fogs at them, or put my rear ones on if they are behind cnunts the lot of them.

not that I have any strong feelings on this.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:05 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
I always thought the point of frog lights being lower than headlights is so they could shine light "under" the fog and mainbeams just light it up like a big white blur and you can't see through it.
my "frog" lights in the main light cluster where u would usually find your indicator blubs and what look like my "frog lights" are actually my indicator lights
Old 05 January 2009, 04:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

some of the new cars have sensors that detect when the wheel is turned and switch off one of the fog lights for some reason

was having a chat with a regular milf in her mercedes and she told me that loads of people had been telling her that her lights were broken
Old 05 January 2009, 04:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol yeah its adaptive lighting or something, but always looks strange, and like a light is broken.
Old 05 January 2009, 05:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
some of the new cars have sensors that detect when the wheel is turned and switch off one of the fog lights for some reason

was having a chat with a regular milf in her mercedes and she told me that loads of people had been telling her that her lights were broken

A common fault on the old C-class Mercs (the "startled-eye" headlamp shape) is the body control module gets its knickers in a twist. Which sometimes results with one fog lamp randomly turning on and off with the brakes, or indicators. Quite perplexing when you first encounter one
Old 05 January 2009, 05:26 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Having just switched from a BMW to a Ford, I'm fascinated by the magic thing that makes these strange orange bulbs flash as I approach corners. I don't think the BMW had them...
Old 05 January 2009, 05:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Having just switched from a BMW to a Ford, I'm fascinated by the magic thing that makes these strange orange bulbs flash as I approach corners. I don't think the BMW had them...

The "thank you" and "double parking" lights you mean ?

Quick Reply: ARRRRRGGHHHHH! TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON