Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone Ever rented a MotorHome?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2009, 08:45 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Ever rented a MotorHome?

Thinking of possibly doing this in 2009 .... did some research and found an outfit - they want a deposit of £750

OK, I understand they want to ensure it is ready and clean for the next customer ..... the problem, of course, comes when you think who may 'hold' the deposit! Held by a Solicitor would be fair on both parties .. but, it would appear, that the owners hold it!!! Not acceptable to me - they only need to go bust and the money is lost!

Cottages don't ask for a deposit ... why a MotorHome Hire Outfit?

Anyway - anyone done it and would you recommend it?
Old 05 January 2009, 08:47 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

use your credit card so your protected.
Old 05 January 2009, 08:47 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Car rental firms always take a deposit, why not on a motorhome?
Old 05 January 2009, 08:50 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrantyBoy
use your credit card so your protected.
Very Good Point ........ if they will allow the deposit to be paid in such a way?
Old 05 January 2009, 08:51 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Car rental firms always take a deposit, why not on a motorhome?
Never paid a penny in deposit for a car or van rental in my life

Paid an Insurance Waiver, but thats about it.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:03 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Never paid a penny in deposit for a car or van rental in my life

Paid an Insurance Waiver, but thats about it.
They still usually insist on a credit card imprint / authorisation to make sure you return the car at the end of the rental and with a full tank etc. I've always needed to hand over a credit card when renting a car for this reason insurance waiver paid or not.

The motor home hire place should be able to pre-authorise your credit card for the deposit so no actual money changes hands. £750 sounds about right as those things aren't cheap so they're probably encouraging you to look after it
Old 05 January 2009, 09:05 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I'd say Coffin Dodger has it nailed, by deposit I meant they take authorisation from your card. I'd be surprised if this motor home place actually want £750 cold hard cash before the rental?
Old 05 January 2009, 09:09 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Very Good Point ........ if they will allow the deposit to be paid in such a way?
I would imagine credit card would be there preference as if you cancel the booking a credit card has guaranteed payment for them.

I think you raise a great point in these financial times. Any purchase where you dont get the product there and then should be done on a credit card as any retailer could go bump and at least you will get your money back.

looking at the land of leather thread the thought of paying them cash scares the hell out of me.

Chop
Old 05 January 2009, 09:13 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The things are built out of wafer thin plywood with an aluminium skin, so its very easy to do some expensive damage to one. So the big deposit doesn't surpise me a single bit.

Like CD said, it should be just a case of them retaining your CC details; like most rental companies do. In fact most companies I've used will refuse to use a debit card or cash to rent the vehicle.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 January 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:01 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Everything has to be paid 28 days prior to the rental .... even the £750 Deposit!!!!

Looks like they are after a cheque!!

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 05 January 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:06 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have always wanted a Winnebago to go through the Australian Outback but i cant see me ever doing though
Old 05 January 2009, 01:11 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Another Company wants £1000 ..... and say, "Should the security deposit be paid by credit card, the amount will be debited from your account immediately"

I really don't like the sound of that!!
Old 05 January 2009, 01:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

id want it least that for some old codger off the street ..!
Old 05 January 2009, 02:31 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Alot of car companies make you pay for the tank of fuel in advance thus leviating the need for a CC deposit, I must say i have not in the last few years ever had to leave a card swipe just in case.

I can understand why they want such a deposit it sort of identifies the proper customers from the timewasters to a degree, its all about commitment.
Old 05 January 2009, 02:35 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

It must be horrid to be too skint to hire a motorhome.
Old 05 January 2009, 08:52 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

The deposit sounds somewhat reasonable - paying it 28 days in advance doesn't.

At the end of the day - if you can find a better / more acceptable deal, then take it - if not, it's time to cough up.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:12 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

The earlier post was spot on, The price of these motorhomes are £40000 upwards, because of their constuction any damage to the body can be very expensive,The rental company will also want to be able to cover any loss of earning whilst the vehicle is being repaired if it is damaged.
I know it dont relate to the above but, I remember staying at a Hotel where a guest had left their dog in a room while they went out, the dog got bored and caused £2000 worth of damaged to the room. There is normally a good reason why these people cover their ar*e
Old 05 January 2009, 09:21 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I always thought Insurance would cover the costs .... maybe with a high excess.

I will not be paying £750 or £1000 up front, with no guarantee that the money is safe should the company fold.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:24 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Get a decent tent and some tidy camping gear and drive where ever, this has the advantage of saving money on fuel, saving your life should you crash and looking like normal human beings.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:29 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I have a Folding Camper and use that regularly ...... fancied something a little bit different.

I may hire a fancy car and go Bed & Breakfast instead!
Old 06 January 2009, 10:20 AM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

A mate rents his 6 berth out if you are interested he is based in the NW,the excess if you dont pay a high insurance loading is £1250!
Old 06 January 2009, 10:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I hire cars a lot and usually have a £500 "imprint" type deposit on my credit card. Motorhomes are generally worth a lot more than most hire cars.

I find a B&B/hotel is often better. More comfy and more mobile. I do borrow my Dad's camper occasionally though.
Old 06 January 2009, 11:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I always thought Insurance would cover the costs .... maybe with a high excess.

I will not be paying £750 or £1000 up front, with no guarantee that the money is safe should the company fold.
On your credit card it'd be safe would it not?
Old 06 January 2009, 12:37 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Safe, until they deduct money for this and that which may not be genuine .... I trust no-one!
Old 06 January 2009, 01:08 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete,

Its common practice.

We rented one last year - paid the hire costs on visa. Company wanted what is effectively a damage/theft bond of £500. Took a cheque, on the undertanding that it would only be cashed if we didn't come back, or their was damage up to the level of the insurance excess.

BTW -You'll also have issues with collision damage waiver. As in very few hire companies will cover you for zero excess.

It's quite normal to want full payment in advance of hire. Stick it on your visa and you will be fine, whether they process payment immediately or not, in the event they go bust.

If they go bust when you have the vehicle, and they cannot then refund any "bond" payment, then you simply keep the vehicle until the insolvency practitioners dealing with the business refund your bond.

Either way, its not as risky as you think, and doesn't carry as much risk as the hiring company would carry in risking you cancelling last thing and their not being able to rehire the vehicle.

Despite your assertion that cottages do not, most professional holiday lets ask for a deposit on booking and full payment 28 days in advance of the rental period - why shouldn't a motor home hire co do the same?
Old 06 January 2009, 01:17 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Thanks devildog .... I take your points.

I have never paid a deposit on a Cottage, but have paid the full rental 28 days ahead of time.

Giving someone £1700 and hoping it will all be OK is not really in my blood and I doubt I will be able to do it.

Anyway, Bed and Breakfast in a different place each night appeals more now - especially at the same price!
Old 06 January 2009, 02:56 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

holiday lets usually ask for a key/breakage deposit although it is usually only a token gesture and wouldn't really cover the potential damage you could cause.

B&B's wouldn't just like hotels, not sure why maybe it is because there is someone there all the time?
Old 06 January 2009, 05:36 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Has anyone seen RV (2006)
i think its one of the funniest films ever made.
Old 06 January 2009, 07:59 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Pete

Don't know where you are thinking of travelling but I've done the campervan drive up the East Coast of Australia from Sydney to Cairns and also the hire car/B&B from Sydney to Adelaide.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the East Coast trip and had previously thought that I could stop anywhere for the night and enjoy a deserted beach, I ended up paying about AU$15 per night each night for a powered site which meant that I could plug the van into the mains supply, run the aircon, and have a hot shower in the morning.

The van got around 22mpg (which with petrol costing around 35p/litre at the time wasn't a problem) but the lack of performance did make me think that perhaps hiring a reasonable sized car (which in Aus will be a Falcon or Commodore) and using either motels, B&Bs, or "one night stay" caravans might have been a better way to do things.

I then did the Sydney/Adelaide trip in '05 and we did this on the B&B/motel basis. A Falcon is quite a bit cheaper to hire than a camper and gets better fuel consumption. Accomodation is a bit more expensive but I think it balances out overall.

We then did Chicago/New Orleans in '07 and it was a no-brainer. 5.7 lire Hemi Chrysler 300, laptop with WiFi, and we could work out where we were likely to be the following night and book accomodation in advance.

By using the Internet, we stayed in an a B&B in an ex-19th century whorehouse on the edge of the French Quarter in New Orleans.

I'd really recommend the hire car + B&B idea.
Old 06 January 2009, 08:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

buy -- then sell, its what some familly friends did when they went travelling around europe for 3 months (but it does depend on the length of time)

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever rented a MotorHome?