Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LCD TV's

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2008, 10:36 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD TV's

Just bought a house so looking at getting a tv in the next couple of days but it's fair to say I don't know much about them.

My lounge is pretty big so was looking at 40inch and using my limited knowledge i've shortlisted these four. I'm not a techno geek so as long as the picture is decent and it will play PS3 games and blueray ok then i'm fine with that.

Buy TOSHIBA 40XV551D | Digital 40inch 1080p hd ready lcd tv - Televisions | Comet

Buy SAMSUNG LE40A557P2FXXU | Digital 40 - Televisions | Comet

SONY KDL40V4000U at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

HITACHI L42VP01 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Which one do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the Sony/Samsung if i'm honest.

Thanks
Jonathan
Old 27 December 2008, 11:12 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I compared similar models earlier in the year and bought the Sony in the end. Never looked back
Old 27 December 2008, 11:48 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Im looking for a new TV of similar size over the next few days but i also don't have a clue about them.

Iv been looking at this one, but need to do some more measurements to see if it will fit in the place i want it to go. Might have to drop down to a 40" or smaller.

LG 42LG7000 Exclusive 42" 100Hz LCD TV - Cheap LG LCD TVs, Plasma TVs, HD Ready TVs

All the technobabble doing my head in, difference between LCD/plasma, 1020p 1020i, you need 1 with blah blah many Hz with this number of pixels.

Think im just going to go to comet & pick the one closest to the door

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 27 December 2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 27 December 2008, 11:59 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

The Gadget Show on Five did a comparison on 42" and 40" sub £1000 LCD T.V's and the Sony came out top.

FiveFWD - The Gadget Show's Big LCD TVs best buys
Old 27 December 2008, 12:01 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Go Sony over Samsung, and aim a little up the price range (X & Z range) as their cheap LCD's (V & W range) are little better than budget makes like Samsung and LG. I always recommend Panasonic, but then I also prefer plasma over LCD any day. As you will be gaming mostly, LCD will be better for you though.
Old 27 December 2008, 12:19 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Samsungs get very good reviews, its not a coincidence that a lot of other manufacturers use Samsung screens, all be it B grades, as Samsung keep the top ones for themselves.

I've tried out several brands, and to be honest, there isn't a huge difference between some of the top names, but Panasonic, Samsung and Sony are 3 I would recommend.

I changed from a Sony to Samsung and I'm VERY HAPPY I did. The Samsung upscaling dvd players are brill too

If you can't tell, I'm a Samsung convert!

Can't comment on the Plasm ranges as I much prefer the LCD TV's.
Old 27 December 2008, 02:11 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I just bought a Sony 40W4000 and couldn't be happier.
Got a great deal at the local sony centre, got a PS3 as well for a cracking price, they delivered, installed and took away the old one and all the boxes. And got a 5 year warranty.
Old 29 December 2008, 01:24 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

SONY KDL40V4000U at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Thats the one i fancy now but i dont have a ricersounds near me.

There is a comet near me which has the TV in stock but they want £600 for it.

What are my chances of getting them to match the price ?
Old 29 December 2008, 06:50 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I have a 32 inch version of the Hitachi one in the original post, it's a really nice tv and I think better than my parents Samsung for picture quality.
My last TV was a Hitachi as well and that lasted years, was given to me by my grandma, when i got my own place so build quality was fantastic, was years old.
I'm no TV expert though, don't understand most of what people on here say about them! lol
Old 29 December 2008, 10:47 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I did all the research , was going to get the KDL40W4500 and then viewed it alongside the (200 quid cheaper) Samsung LE40A686 , and preferred the Samsung.

Picked it up on Saturday from JL
Old 29 December 2008, 10:54 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the love of god buy anything but an Hitachi LCD tv.
Old 29 December 2008, 11:07 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

at 40" the majority of the panels are manufactured by sharp and samsung. and samsungs prefered factory being Taiwan (you can tell by the serial number).

this changes all the time but sonys cheaper U/V/W use sharp the more expensive use samsung. my choice I would have the Samsung or a samsung in a sony. BUT the LG looks tempting becuase of technology (100hz) but I would get it on sale or return incase it is a dog.
Old 29 December 2008, 11:15 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
Just bought a house so looking at getting a tv in the next couple of days but it's fair to say I don't know much about them.

My lounge is pretty big so was looking at 40inch and using my limited knowledge i've shortlisted these four. I'm not a techno geek so as long as the picture is decent and it will play PS3 games and blueray ok then i'm fine with that.

Buy TOSHIBA 40XV551D | Digital 40inch 1080p hd ready lcd tv - Televisions | Comet

Buy SAMSUNG LE40A557P2FXXU | Digital 40 - Televisions | Comet

HITACHI L42VP01 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Which one do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the Sony/Samsung if i'm honest.

Thanks
Jonathan
People have been brain washed in to thinking LCD is the way forward. Well it's not. SD feed has been awful on the LCD's I have seen, and lets face it most people will be feeding it an SD signal.

Plasma is still the panel to beat, some of the new Sony's are catching up but personally I would not touch an LCD.

I spent months reading about LCD V plasma and I'm so glad I went plasma. I short listed many TV's inc the sammy but the amount of unhappy people on AVforums put me off. Nearly 500 pages and most of them complaints about the Samsung TV.

3 of my mates have bought the Viera after seeing mine and knowing the amount research I put in choosing the right panel.

Panasonic - ideas for life - Plasma vs LCD

Your a brave man to buy an LCD that's all I can say. No doubt the people who bought LCD will soon be defending them

Last edited by T5OLF; 29 December 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 29 December 2008, 12:27 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've bought 2x42" plasmas (both Panasonic Viera). LCD doesn't come close in terms of colour reproduction imo, and plasma is still better for fast moving images (especially on the larger screens). For that reason alone, gaming tends to be better on plasmas as well (which tend to have lots of fast moving stuff going on). I wouldn't touch a LCD at the moment. Still not good enough...
Old 29 December 2008, 02:03 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

As Above...

I have a 42" Viera Plasma in the living room,and a 32" LCD Samsung in the bedroom.
Both are on the same sky+ SD feed.

The Viera runs rings around the Samsung..

I will personally never have another LCD.. I made the mistake once and that was enough.
Old 29 December 2008, 03:24 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I spent ages looking at TV's in the usual places and prefered the image of Plasma's over LCD's.

Darren
Old 29 December 2008, 03:40 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Ditto the above comments, I spent better part of a year choosing my new TV, plasma won through every time. I ended up with a Panasonic Viera 50" Full HD jobby as I couldn't justify the extra cash to move to the Pioneers, they are better but you pay a hefty premium.
Old 29 December 2008, 04:27 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by T5OLF
No doubt the people who bought LCD will soon be defending them
No need to defend them, there's nothing wrong with LCDs. They have strengths and weaknesses just like plasmas.

Ironically, I suspect that half the posters in this thread slagging them off wouldn't know how to get the best out of their sets anyway.
Old 29 December 2008, 04:37 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
No need to defend them, there's nothing wrong with LCDs. They have strengths and weaknesses just like plasmas.

Ironically, I suspect that half the posters in this thread slagging them off wouldn't know how to get the best out of their sets anyway.
Oh how very very true, I have setup 6 friends tvs now and everytime I do one they ask what am I changing and why, because they thought that they come setup from the factory and only need to change contrast/brightness to suit.

Spending the best part of 2 hours setting up a set sure does yield some good results.
Old 29 December 2008, 04:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

No need to defend them, there's nothing wrong with LCDs.
Nope, nothing wrong with them. They're just not as good as plasmas

Very true. I spent a great deal of time setting up my systems (tv and surround). I did have an LCD for a while, but the plasmas blew it away tbh. Got rid and am now running 2x 42" vieras. Won't be tempted by LCD again unless they improve significantly
Old 29 December 2008, 05:19 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Ok.......thanks chaps for all the feedback.

I've not really considered plasma but would i be better with a plasma 720 like the one below instead of an LCD 1080p?

Buy SAMSUNG PS42A457P1DXXU | 42" digital hd ready plasma tv - Televisions | Comet

thanks again
Old 29 December 2008, 05:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Panasonic TH42PX80B (42" Plasma TV - HD Ready - Freeview - Inc spks & stand - With 5 year at home warranty) £549.90 (or £499.95 with 1 Year Warranty) instore @ Richersounds - HotUKDeals Forum

Why have Samsung when you can have Panasonic ? And with a 5yr warranty !
Old 29 December 2008, 05:26 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Personally, I would say yes. You would be hard pushed to see the difference between 720p and 1080p, and the improved plasma picture (colour depth and responsiveness) would more than make up for any slight resolution loss.

I'd try and get a Viera rather than a Samsung personally, but they are a few more pennies....
Old 29 December 2008, 05:52 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I have all the set up DVD's and filters etc and still found the picture very poor when I set up my mates Sammy.

Can't think of anything that would make me buy an LCD TV...
Old 29 December 2008, 05:55 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Richersounds will price match, I PMed against Sound And Vision when I go mine and saved over 200 quid.
Old 29 December 2008, 06:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Richersounds will price match, I PMed against Sound And Vision when I go mine and saved over 200 quid.
No need, S&V are £50 more than RS anyway
Old 29 December 2008, 06:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

£499 WITH 5yr Pana g/tee Check post five for g/tee details.

Last edited by corradoboy; 29 December 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 29 December 2008, 10:30 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I'll never buy Sony again, 6 years ago i got a tv,sterio,dvd, surround sound av, and video, all Sony. 3 years later the only thing still working was the video!
Old 30 December 2008, 07:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
I'll never buy Sony again, 6 years ago i got a tv,sterio,dvd, surround sound av, and video, all Sony. 3 years later the only thing still working was the video!
So you didnt get a 5yr warranty then

Simon

Quick Reply: LCD TV's