HDMI v Scart

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2008, 01:20 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HDMI v Scart

Quick question....

Is the difference in quality between scart and HDMI really that noticeable?

Just want to know before I go out and buy one
Old 26 December 2008, 01:51 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the source and the display.
If the source can output HD (PS3, SkyHD) AND the display can show it (HD Ready or Full HD TV) - yes.
Old 26 December 2008, 01:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Most TV's and other devices will have both these days anyway. Im still happy with the scart on mine, as I was too tight at the time to buy the HDMI lol
Old 26 December 2008, 02:10 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I was told that the expensive HDMI leads are a waste of money, I have just bought a £10 off amazon, does anyone know if this is true?
Old 26 December 2008, 02:12 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Depends on how much money you want to spend on the source and display. Yes there is a difference & you would instantly notice it.You can buy a blueray player from approx £150 to £1k and above.Most tv's support full hd now so can get one even on a tight budget.
Old 26 December 2008, 02:17 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

The only thing you need to worry about, is the protection of the cable from getting damaged. The signal is the same so yes that is true.
Old 26 December 2008, 02:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooByer Trade
The only thing you need to worry about, is the protection of the cable from getting damaged. The signal is the same so yes that is true.

Nice one.
Old 26 December 2008, 02:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1m cable 5 quid from Tesco
Old 26 December 2008, 02:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Is this a serious question!? The difference is night and day IMHO. Scart is sh*t! RGB-scart is better though but still not as good as HDMI.
Old 26 December 2008, 03:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Most SCART cables are carrying a composite video signal, which is at the bottom of the quality scale. RGB over SCART is better (where available) and a component (red, green & blue RCA connectors) is better still. A picture carried over an HDMI cable should be better than all as there is no unneccessary digital to analogue conversion. If the picture is a progressively scanned high definition one, then itll be better over HDMI than component too.
Old 26 December 2008, 10:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I paid £20 for my HDMI lead as that's cheap for a quality Scart lead...

1080P up-scaled DVD is awesome, Blu-Ray also.

HTH

dunx
Old 26 December 2008, 11:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always remember, shorter the cable, the less resistance so better quality (unless you buy a stupidly expensive cable )
HDMI is the way forward though, but scart still does the job

Tony
Old 27 December 2008, 12:01 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cable length and quality for HDMI is, in large part, a myth. It's a digital signal....it either gets there....or it doesn't. There's not much/any room for 'in-between'
Old 27 December 2008, 12:36 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Cable length and quality for HDMI is, in large part, a myth. It's a digital signal....it either gets there....or it doesn't. There's not much/any room for 'in-between'
There are some excellent digital engineers who might beg to differ!

The signal that is sent is subject to complex error correction protocols to protect the final output. A very high quality connection/cable will maintain the digital signal more accurately.

Low quality cables where poor connections/soldering; insulators that introduce additional electronic noise all introduce errors to the digital signal. These errors then have to be either corrected (done through data packet interleaving so that any given analogue element does not depend on a single data packet).

If the error cannot be corrected the DAC will then 'create' an output by averaging the last and next clean signal.

These factors will affect the picture and sound in two ways. The harder the DAC is working then the less effective it is at producing clean output. If there is digital noise then there will be a degraded output and increased picture and audio artefacts.

These affects can easily be demonstrated on digital sound where a true 16bit audio signal can be degraded by as much as 2-3 bits, i.e. sound like 13-14bit which is very audible, by a poor quality connection.
Old 27 December 2008, 12:50 AM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

HDMI is much better, but as spooky points out there are poor cables around that are incredibly graded.
I've bought cheap cables off eBay only to find that I can't get a signal through at 1080p.
Some cables work well with picture but can't pass through bitstream Dolby Digital signal.
You don't have to spend silly amounts of money on the cables but try and find cables from retailers that have customer reviews on their pages.
Old 27 December 2008, 01:12 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Was just about to say what Spooky said, in my year out in uni I worked in Panasonic in the Digital section, you will see a difference between a bad cable and decent one IMO
Old 27 December 2008, 01:15 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
There are some excellent digital engineers who might beg to differ!

The signal that is sent is subject to complex error correction protocols to protect the final output. A very high quality connection/cable will maintain the digital signal more accurately.

Low quality cables where poor connections/soldering; insulators that introduce additional electronic noise all introduce errors to the digital signal. These errors then have to be either corrected (done through data packet interleaving so that any given analogue element does not depend on a single data packet).

If the error cannot be corrected the DAC will then 'create' an output by averaging the last and next clean signal.

These factors will affect the picture and sound in two ways. The harder the DAC is working then the less effective it is at producing clean output. If there is digital noise then there will be a degraded output and increased picture and audio artefacts.

These affects can easily be demonstrated on digital sound where a true 16bit audio signal can be degraded by as much as 2-3 bits, i.e. sound like 13-14bit which is very audible, by a poor quality connection.
This is very true.

It even occurs with uncompressed fiber optic audio. Notably a background hiss with a damaged/poor fiber optic cable; caused by the reflected signal interferring with the actual signal.
Old 27 December 2008, 01:35 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

But for home application is Jonny Everybody really going to notice the difference between a half-decent £25 5m HDMI cable and a high end £150+ one? Very unlikely IMHO.
Old 27 December 2008, 01:44 AM
kona
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by cookstar
I was told that the expensive HDMI leads are a waste of money, I have just bought a £10 off amazon, does anyone know if this is true?
trust me, you can tell the difference! I've had many cheap cables and bought a QED HDMI lead. the difference is noticeable, much smoother, no panning either...
Old 27 December 2008, 08:11 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

But for home application is Jonny Everybody really going to notice the difference between a half-decent £25 5m HDMI cable and a high end £150+ one? Very unlikely IMHO.
The difference between 14 bit and 16 bit audio is a bit like listening to Radio 1 (compressed and horrid) and the original CD. 13 bit is worse again.

For some people you may not care - however if you have shelled out over a grand on your HD panel and another £200-500 on your HD source it would seem to be a bit of a waste to then not have proper HD presentation for the want of a decent cable.

You don't need to spend £150, but you are probably better off spending £50 rather than £5-10 for an ebay special.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:13 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kona
trust me, you can tell the difference! I've had many cheap cables and bought a QED HDMI lead. the difference is noticeable, much smoother, no panning either...
That's a myth. You might want to check for damage to the original lead or some other piece of equipment.

PS, I work with the guys that film the stuff your watching on your Blu Ray/DVD player.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:56 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My Xbox and PS3 both look superb on the cheapo HDMI cables that either came with it or were bought from Tesco for a Fiver, decent 1080P telly, couldnt really get worried about enhancing it any further, you end up AVForums getting all **** about it, its a telly ffs.

Anyway, retro VHS through an aerial cable is where its at, these digital mediums are to cold and I miss the banding, the sound going all muffled, cleaning the heads, I am joking of course but I still enjoyed the films, Blu Ray is a quantum leap over an Amstrad Video recorder, hence why I cant get too excited about £200 HDMI cable, I am sat here wearing my glasses and they are scratched to ****, putting my lenses in makes a bigger difference.
Old 27 December 2008, 09:03 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Is this a serious question!? The difference is night and day IMHO. Scart is sh*t! RGB-scart is better though but still not as good as HDMI.
Yes it is......
Old 27 December 2008, 11:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Always aim for teh middle ground:

BUT

Avoid Belkin and Monster and Ebay junk like the plague; most of which are bling, overpriced, poor sheilding, poor grade wire and poor crimping/solder joints on the connectors. But of course, all made to slook nice in nice packaging, thick silcone insulation and gold plated connectors.

But likewise there totally no need to spend anything over anything more than £40 on ANY cable (unless its really long), in most cases £15-20 suffices if you hunt around a bit pay attention to the cable's construction (not the insulation and gold plating ). Or make your own!

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 December 2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 27 December 2008, 12:41 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I use QED HDMI-P Purple cables can't remember the actual name but they are fantastic!

Best buy HDMI in my opinion in the Cambridge Audio Budge HDMI 3m cable, its a great well stuck together cable and is good bang for buck.
Old 27 December 2008, 12:56 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

If you LOOK HERE, you'll see that every single lead has won 5 star awards, regardless of price! Trust me, you don't need to spend stupid money on these leads, they all do the same thing.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar

Unless your a serious audiofile??? Which I doubt from buyimg a cheap cable??? It will be spot on But as for scart vs HDMI c'mon was it worth a thread ???? It was obvious HDMI would be seriously better!!!
Old 27 December 2008, 09:02 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Quick question....

Yes, yes it is.

Just went to HD on my Xbox 360, and the difference is like day and night. I'm yet to try a Blu-ray DVD on my PS3 with the HDMI cable, but I suspect it will be pretty impressive.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:28 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

I think that the one obvious point here has been missed!

You CANNOT get any kind of HD signal from a Scart lead, whether it be 720P, 1080i or 1080P

So if you want HD, then you have to use an HDMI cable, unless you have an older Sky HD box that uses component, in which case you can use this for HD.

I have been in the AV industry for a long time including several years working for a very high end American cable company. I certainly believe that there is a difference in the quality of cables, but it is down to each individual whether they want to spend the money or not.

One more thing though, is that I would (controversially) is that I think that component is as good, if not better than HDMI. It is a myth that it was introduced to give us better sound and picture quality. It was brought in to give all of the film studios a very high quality copy protection system as they were very concerned about piracy from such a high quality source component.

It does also make connection simpler as the audio is also carried

Jason
Old 28 December 2008, 09:41 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jsh1
You CANNOT get any kind of HD signal from a Scart lead, whether it be 720P, 1080i or 1080P
You can transmit whatever the hell you like over a scart lead - you could even use it as network cabling if you wanted. It's just pins and wires at the end of the day.

What you mean is that you almost certainly won't find any AV equipment that will transmit/receive a HD signal from a scart socket.

As for this whole thing about buying cheap/expensive HDMI cables, if the signal is getting from one end to the other without loss, great. Even if it does lose signal, it depends on whether the ECC takes a lossy or lossless approach (I would expect lossy). I would expect that 99% of people couldn't tell the difference. For the other 1%, well, there are people ready to relieve them of their money up to any point they choose.

Quick Reply: HDMI v Scart