Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Technically Challenged..What do I need ? PVR , DVD , VCR ??

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2008, 10:03 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Technically Challenged..What do I need ? PVR , DVD , VCR ??

I am quite happy to admitting to being somewhat technically challenged by today's newer devices so here is my question.
Our old DVD/VCR combined unit is getting somewhat creaky and now seems a good time to replace.
We need something to do the following....
1. Record from the TV to watch later in the day, usually every weekday, normally record over the previous days episode. (Have used the same tape in the VCR part for this, just keep rewinding and playing).
2. Have ability to record longer programmes, 2/3 hrs, possibly longer,(film, drama etc) whilst watching other channels on the TV (digital).
3. Play DVD's bought for us.

I suppose we could just get another DVD/VCR unit but keep hearing about PVR's and their advantages and I expect that VCR's will soon become outdated and obolete, so, is there a unit that is just disc compatible that is easy to record on to and also play back, a PVR/DVD unit thing ?

If so, what exactly am I looking for and any recommendations ?
The TV is a Sony, a digital one with built -in freeview, no Sky.
Thanks

JBL
Old 26 December 2008, 11:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

DVD recorder with built in PVR?

DVD recorders are good if you want to keep stuff long term, not so good if you want to frequently re-record. Cheaper recorders do crash, and rewiteable disks do sometimes stop working for no obvious reason (losing everything on it). Although I've never had that problem since I start using DVD-RAMs disks for daily recordings (expensive, but reliable).

PVR: Great if you only watch stuff once and delete it afterwards. If you want to keep stuff, then you need to transfer it to a DVD recorder (which is where a combination unit comes in handy), otherwise you'll soon run out of space.

Got one of these upstairs (dvd recorder): Panasonic - ideas for life - DVD & Video - DVD Recorders - DMR-EZ28 - Overview (£145)
And this downstairs (DVD recorder and PVR): Panasonic - ideas for life - DVD & Video - DVD Recorders - DMR-EX768 - Overview (£200)

Nice remote and neither have burnt a duff disk yet (unlike our old Samsung), both have freeview as well. Although not the quietest of units (might need to bear that in mind if using it in the bedroom), and arguably not the cheapest on the market.

They also do a VHS/DVD recorder/PVR combo unit: ( Panasonic - ideas for life - DVD & Video - DVD Recorders - DMR-EX98V - Overview ) which might be handy if you still want to use tapes.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 December 2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 26 December 2008, 11:05 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

u want a dvd recorder with built in hard drive (ali's second choice the dmr-ex768) - if u want to watch one channel and record another, u would need a machine with two tuners however
Old 27 December 2008, 07:15 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
u want a dvd recorder with built in hard drive (ali's second choice the dmr-ex768) - if u want to watch one channel and record another, u would need a machine with two tuners however
Your telly has a tuner.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:03 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...od-pvr-go.html

The wife now says "How did we live life before we had the TopField". In the top ten things you can't live without it's up there with the dishwasher .

Jasey.
Old 27 December 2008, 10:29 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for so many ideas and suggestions.
I really only want to get ONE item/unit and not have boxes-wires-plugs everywhere. The reason for the Sony TV was that it had the built-in Freeview and this meant that the old Freeview box sitting on top of the tv could be ditched. Same with the combined DVD/VCR player, just one unit. I just want one unit and can ditch the VCR facility of it. So I think that what I need is a DVD player that has a HDD facility built in. Now do I need one with a single tuner or a twin tuner ? Let's say I want to record a Freeview channel and watch another so does this mean twin tuners or does the tuner in the TV (assume it has one ) come into the equation ?
Just a bit baffled here !

Thanks again

JBL
Old 27 December 2008, 10:36 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Single tuner.
Record using the tuner in your recorder, watch telly using tuner in your telly

I have a panasonic freeview(single tuner), hdd and dvd player. Sony Bravia telly with built in freeview. Works fine for us.
Old 27 December 2008, 12:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I have the Sony 970 which is more or less the same as THIS ONE and it is superb. I heard about reliability issues with Panasonics so avoided them, and couldn't justify the more expensive Pioneer versions. Sony had some problems with the models prior to mine, but I am told they got over this by simply buying in the Pioneer internals, hence my earlier comment.

It has two tuners but not how you expect them. One digital and one analogue, making it useable in more homes (some still don't have digital Freeview). Recording is simple, using the on-screen TV guide and a single button push. Quality is superb, and the ability to back up a 2hr movie to DVD in 6 minutes is very good. Mine was multi-region enabled before shipping so it plays all discs, and it also doubles up as a multi-media drive, being able to play JPEG's and MP3's for pic and music playback. The HDD can store over 700 hours on the lowest quality setting. there are about 7 levels though, and the HQ+ will still allow over 50 hours.

The newer 995 can be had for under £200 now.
Old 27 December 2008, 09:08 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

interesting read this (for me )

I'm after a hard drive, not too interesed in burning to disc, but would be a plus.

Don't need Freeview , as i have Virgin .

Question - the tv signal comes in through a cable to the Virgin box , then out through scart to the tv. Would it be as easy as connecting the box via scart in between the two ?

Sony looks nice, Richer Sounds have them for £199 - any other recommendations ?
Old 27 December 2008, 09:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The Sony can receive external AV inputs, but quality won't be as good as off-air digital signals as it will be converting a low resolution analogue signal back to digital for recording. I also have Virgin, but since getting the Sony and connecting it through a new AV amp I haven't even connected up the Virgin box, and will be cancelling the service in the new year. I may add FreeSat with another dedicated PVR in the spring. Whatever I do, I won't be subscribing to any PAY services from now on, until they start making and broadcasting some bloody decent programs anyway
Old 27 December 2008, 09:58 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

thanks

I've just remembered that Virgin do a V+ box with a built in hard drive . Has anyone any experience with these ?