Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another way to stop speeding drivers ....

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2002, 05:21 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Institute of Highway Incorporated Engineers has come up with a novel idea of stopping speeding drivers and has been called to the Commons to explain its idea.

It's a new speed trap which can detect the speed of drivers as they approach traffic lights and automatically switch them to red if the vehicles are going too fast.

Apparently many existing urban traffic lights could easily be converted to the new system. Many of them have underground loops that detect the speed of approaching vehicles and if one is going too fast the lights stay green longer to avoid panic-braking by the driver. The IHIE is now calling for a reversal of this policy across the country.

The only advantage to this is that drivers would have to pay fines, they'd just be penalised by being delayed on their journey (and of course all the poor law-abiding ones behind them)

Now wait for a whole load of traffic lights to appear on motorways ... all these dangerous A-roads we've been hearing about ... all dual carriageways .... it's a traffic light manufacturer's dream.....
Old 18 February 2002, 05:30 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I think this has been trialled in Spain for a while now, but only for urban roads. Can you imagine the number of crashes as drivers try to slow down in time to stop at the red lights.

I also don't see how it hurts the speeding driver. He'd go through on amber, and everyone else would have to stop?
Old 18 February 2002, 05:31 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Bad idea IMHO (for my initial reaction, anyway).

As mentioned above, I think the 'panic-braking' could result in an increase in rear end shunts. Alternatively, there could be an increase in running red lights, which could result in more chaos.

Basically, there will be greater instances (but more importantly, purposefully implemented) of that awful moment when you have to make a split second decision - slam on the anchors or gun it to get through the lights.

Of course, one area that would need to be clarified would be how far away these lights are triggered. Because, if the trigger is a suitable distance from the lights themselves (meaning no forced panic-braking or red light running) then the idea may have some value....

[edited to say: woo-hoo, I'm a regular now! ]

[Edited by JohnMcC - 2/18/2002 5:31:56 PM]