Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2008, 08:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Pirates - poor dears

This article sums up pretty much in a nutshell what is wrong with the UK today:

BBC NEWS | UK | Pirates of the High Street

It starts off giving the impression that it is about the massive DVD pirating market focusing on immigrants actually doing the selling on the streets.

Soon enough though it takes the tack that these poor wretched souls are 'forced' into selling their illegal tat on the streets because they have come here illegally and can't get any benefits and hence are vulnerable to being attacked or even murdered.

For goodness sake if they didn't come here illegally in the first place and then further break the law by selling illegally copied DVDs they wouldn't be in any danger from the 'streets of Britain'.

Of course no thought is given to the companies they are ripping off each and every day.

No doubt we will pass some stupid law to protect them and give them money and housing so they can continue to peddle their illegal wares on the back of the taxpayer. Hey maybe they will even get a free PC - will have to have a DVD burner though
Old 10 December 2008, 09:04 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Yet more fodder for the 'Nanny' state, and alarmist pap from 24hr news broadcasters with nothing better to talk about.
Simple solution: kick 'em out - problem solved!
Of course this might be tooooo simple for the PC brigade
Old 10 December 2008, 09:15 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Must have been a bad day in the news for stuff to report for them to come up with that ****
Old 10 December 2008, 09:15 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Sha's in her twenties and has been living illegally in the UK for three years, having made the trip here from Fujian province in South East China.

She paid £20,000 to be smuggled here and, with a baby to support and no right to benefits, she says she has no choice but to sell DVDs to make a living.
So she paid £20,000 to get here. Can't get any benefits, so sells DVD's to make a living.

May I suggest she would have been better off staying in her own country and used that £20,000 to feed support her family.
Old 10 December 2008, 09:49 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

<fonejacker> You won buy dvd </fonejacker>

These guys are always out round the pubs round our way.
Old 10 December 2008, 10:08 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

BBC journalists were once the best in the world, the standard to which all others aspired

Now most of the BBC's news output appears to have been written by wannabe tabloid reporters whose ultimate ambition is to be accepted by The S*n or The Mail
Old 10 December 2008, 10:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
BBC journalists were once the best in the world, the standard to which all others aspired

Now most of the BBC's news output appears to have been written by wannabe tabloid reporters whose ultimate ambition is to be accepted by The S*n or The Mail
True-and they shout a lot too!

Les
Old 10 December 2008, 10:26 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have spoken to our regular DVD seller she makes good money and flys back to Hong Kong every six months so some of them are not doing to bad!

Always makes me laugh when I see her because she has a custom made tabbard under her coat that has all the dvd's in alphabetical order even the XXX ones (and I'm not talking about vin diesel!)
Old 10 December 2008, 10:29 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

We get Chinese people come up on the train from London who sell there shonky dvd's round the town x3 for a fiver!
Old 10 December 2008, 10:31 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Question

OK, forget those selling the pirated copies for a moment.
What was it REALLY all about? Was it about illegal immigrants, or were they just a convenient target as per another thread yesterday?

I listened very carefully to what was said on the BBC report and very, very carefully to the guy they had on, NOT the reporter.

His main thrust wasn't immigrants, it was the huge sums lost to the film industry.

OK, now who on here hasn't seen some overpaid, overvalued film star in the tabloids for their utter chav behaviour? Hands up? No-one?

No, we've all seen 'em, and we've all seen the obscene amounts of money the films they are in make "at the box office"

So, my question for you all is this: if DVD's are as cheap and easy to make as we ALL know they are, why don't the film companies stop whining about pirated copies and sell them THEMSELVES for the same sort of prices?
It would wipe out pirating almost overnight, wouldn't it?
Old 10 December 2008, 10:32 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

No because most people just get them for free via torrents anyway
Old 10 December 2008, 09:26 PM
Luke
BANNED

i watched a 100% perfect "Quantum of solace" last night. much nicer been at a mates with a 50 inch plasma and few friends . Rather than in a smelly cinema with everyone eating like pigs.

£2.00 and a bargain as not only did he copy it ,but sold it to a guy at work for £3.00

I love "mr DVD " !!
Old 10 December 2008, 09:40 PM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by stilover
So she paid £20,000 to get here. Can't get any benefits, so sells DVD's to make a living.

May I suggest she would have been better off staying in her own country and used that £20,000 to feed support her family.

And you believe that ??

do you have any idea what £20k is in China to the average family?

she is been CHARGED £20k to get here.

And the good looking ones get rapped many times on their journey.

I know many who "work" Holborn and brick lane etc and they live from day to day. If they escape from the gangs then their families get hurt back home.

i really respect them and hate people abusing them. One girl last year got "taxed" by a few "Islington" chavs . They got smashed to pieces by a few guys who didnt want to see "miss DVD" beaten to the floor
Old 10 December 2008, 10:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I was more shocked that they dont get any benefits when over here illegally, I thought we gave them 5 bed houses and 20k a year just for turning up...