Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Law on children being left on their own and advice appreciated?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2008, 11:33 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesnt really matter what I think but for me, an 11 year old should be ok in the house for 2-3 hours after school. Never harmed me. I dont agree with him looking after the 1yr old though, but depends on, is he being left with the 1yr old whilst she pops to the corner shop 2 minutes away or for an hour whilst she pops to town for ASDA to do a proper shop etc....
Old 05 December 2008, 11:35 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Don't delay report her to social services as when they catch her they will insist the father maybe able to help in her situation. Then by law they should call you! I had to do a similar thing to my own oldest boy!
Old 05 December 2008, 11:36 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

Some info on the NSPCC site for you about Home Alone

I would consider repeating what you have posted here to them on their confidential help line for adults - 0808 800 5000 - get some advice from people in the know.

The law does not set a minimum age at which children can be left alone. However, it is an offence to leave a child alone when doing so puts him or her at risk.
Sounds like the law is a little hazy - what you may think constitutes putting a child at risk might not be seen the same way by others...

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 05 December 2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05 December 2008, 11:42 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

For some reason I thought 14 was the age you can leave kids on their own?
Old 05 December 2008, 11:45 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

I was always under the impression the child had to be over 12yrs, until I was told there is no age limit. It was up to the parent to access the situation.
Old 05 December 2008, 12:07 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

drove past a shop the other day with a kid in the pushchair left outside, i assume "mummykins" was inside buying something, completely ****en insane behaviour IMO
Old 05 December 2008, 12:07 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I was first allowed my own key at 11 when i started high school. I used to make my own way to school on the bus and home again every day and would be on my own until my parents got home at about 6.30.

In my opinion it helped teach me responsibility and how to do things for myself. Too many kids are dropped off and picked up from school nowadays in my opinion. They need to find there own way and build up some "street smarts"

However if your lad is unhappy with being on his own and doesn't feel safe/comfortable then is there not any grandparents or Uncles/Aunties that he could go to after school? an other option would be a childminder, I had one of these up til the age of 11.

Its always going to be difficult for a single parent with a job in these situations, i think thats why there is no law on how old you have to be before being alone in the house.
Old 05 December 2008, 12:35 PM
Lisawrx

Sorry to hear of your hassle. You would think a mother would be happy that you wanted to take more responsibility regardless of your past with her.

Tbh, there seems little you can do with regards to him being alone, if there is no law in place to say he can't be. However, if you are not happy with it, and you think possibly his work is suffering, I would seek some professional advice, on what you can do.

If there is no way you can discuss this with your ex, then take it to court to grant you more access, adressing the concerns you have.

Sorry I can't be any help, but good luck getting something sorted.
Old 05 December 2008, 12:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
For some reason I thought 14 was the age you can leave kids on their own?
I always thought the same. Had a right set too, with someone on here as he said it was otherwise. I can't for the life of me remember his name

Anyway, he was right, the swine
Old 05 December 2008, 12:41 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
drove past a shop the other day with a kid in the pushchair left outside, i assume "mummykins" was inside buying something, completely ****en insane behaviour IMO
People always used to do this in the good old days. My mum even walked home after leaving my sister outside a local shop in the 70s!
Old 05 December 2008, 12:43 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I also think there is a serious lack of after school care in senior schools. What else could she do? Have you found out if there is after school care and offered to pay for it, if money is the issue?

Have you asked her if you could collect him? Are there any clubs he could do after school?
Old 05 December 2008, 12:45 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by **************
Thanks Lisa and looks like that is my only option now as called the number above and they said unless the child was at risk of being in danger then there isn't really anything to be concerned about. There is no age limit and boils down to the circumstances as opposed to age.

It still grates me he has to be on his own when he could be with us. She also packs him off to her mothers when she wants to go out with her husband when again he should be coming to me.
It certainly seems like she is using him, to get to you. Which she could well live to regret as he gets older.

I'd definately get in touch with the courts and put your case forward, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to have more access, especially as it would be more favourable than him being home alone.

Do you (or his mother) know how he feels about spending more time with you and your family? Surely if he wants to, it is unfair of her to stop him. Sorry if you have already mentioned it, but I'm not well and my head's in bits.
Old 05 December 2008, 12:57 PM
Lisawrx

Yes he wants to see me/us more but is worried what his mum will say if he brings it up. I've spoken to him about it a fair bit as to what HE wants as opposed to what I want.
Then if he wants that, go to court, fight for your rights. I hope that you will be looked at in a good light for wanting more time with him, and your concern for his wellbeing.

I'd mention, he is frightened to bring the issue up with his mother also. He shouldn't be frightened to say he wants to spend some time with his Dad.

Good Luck.
Old 05 December 2008, 01:26 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Dave I very much wish I could discuss it with her in an adult manner but there is more chance of hell freezing over. She sees him as a possession and one she will never let me get more access to. Yes going to court will make my life hell as she will make the current access I have even more difficult to succeed, she has stopped me from picking him up before when its been my weekend after we have disagreed over something and there has been sod all I could do about it.

After 8 years of having to put up with that and the fact my circumstances regarding work are very different, ie working from home, it's burning inside me to do something and to get to see him more before he is an adult and i've missed all his growing up.
I'd have a little chat with Swiss, if I was you. He has gone through the mill with his ex and his 2 boys. He may be able to give you some advice
Old 05 December 2008, 01:27 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

As long as he knows and understands his dad loves him then that has surely that has to be the most important thing. It may eat you up mate but draw strength from knowing that he knows this and one day (it might have to be in 5 years time) he can spend as much time with you as he likes.

Chin up
Old 05 December 2008, 01:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think an 11 y-o being on his own for a few hours a week is OK, unless it gives him concerns.

But I think it is wrong for an 11 y-o to be looking after a 1 y-o for more than a very short time.

Why can't mum take tiddles out shopping with her? dl
Old 05 December 2008, 01:54 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems to me that this is not a 'child alone and at risk issue', but more of a 'why should he be alone if he has a parent who wants to spend valuable time with him while the other is unavailable'.
Both of my parents worked shift hours while I and my siblings grew up. I loved the great deal of freedom/independence that I had at such a young age. I even scoffed at the kids that were 'restricted', as I saw it.
I don't believe that my relative freedom had anything but a positive influence on me. However, it's totally dependant on the child. If he wishes to be with his Dad in the times when he would otherwise be alone, then that should be granted to him. Try and sort something with your Ex. Surely she wants the best, as you do, for your lad.

Quick Reply: Law on children being left on their own and advice appreciated?