Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Working in Brest..

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2008, 03:03 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Working in Brest..

I have the oppertunity to renovate a house in Brest,just wondering about the implications tax wise,advice appreciated.

Last edited by beal; 28 November 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 28 November 2008, 05:01 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beal
I have the oppertunity to renovate a house in Brest,just wondering about the implications tax wise,advice appreciated.

The first question I would ask you is are you French registered? If not then you would be effectively working on the black which is illegal. The implications could be that you and the owner of the property could be heavily find and could also be jailed. The French authorities are cracking down very heavily on British workers coming over to France and working on the black.

Secondly building regulations are very different in France. For instance ring main circuits are illegal, as is a lot of roofing work that is normal practice in England. Pipe dimensions for plumbing are also different in France. If the property is a complete renovation then the owner will need certain building permissions by the local authorities. Once these have been applied for, the building will be inspected to make sure it complies with French regulations.

Also from the owners point of view, if he has work done by a none French artisan, apart from having no guarantees, he well end up with a property that no one would touch, assuming the owner wants to sell within in ten years.

These are just the tip of the iceberg. However if you are just plastering a few walls and doing some tiling, take no notice of the above.

As for tax, you will have to declare the earnings to the country where you are resident.

Hope the above helps.
Old 28 November 2008, 05:14 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmm, I'm not sure about doing ANY paid work out there, tbh, without a SIRET number which is basically your registration as an artisan.

Without it, you are "on the black", as they say, and can run foul of large fines, even imprisonment........and be warned, the locals WILL grass you up, as will many expats who employ registered artisans.

You will effectively have no insurance cover, so should you be injured, or cause any damage, YOU would be liable, as would your employer.
Your employer, likewise runs the risk of fines, even imprisonmant, and of being told to undo any illegal work.

Unless you can get registered, (and there is a LOT of red tape), I'd forget it.

As mentioned, electrtics are a whole new ball-game compared with the UK, not only are ring-mains illegal, but so is UK twin and earth, and everything is protected by multiple RCDs and circuit breakers, and double pole ones at that.

Most plumbing has to be brased because of higher water pressures, (up to 10 bar is common), and regulations abound.
Old 28 November 2008, 05:29 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

Good god!!does'nt sound worth the hassle..
But i think it only some drylining and plastering,so i should get away with that surely(it's my brothers boss(english)
Old 28 November 2008, 07:11 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beal
Good god!!does'nt sound worth the hassle..
But i think it only some drylining and plastering,so i should get away with that surely(it's my brothers boss(english)
As I said in my ealier post you should be ok if thats all you are doing. Where people run in to a lot of problems is where they are having complete renovations done. I've seen EDF pull main circuit breakers to plonkers who have had ring mains put in!

I've worked and lived in France for nearly six years. I run a number of estate agencies and dabble in property development. I wouldn't employ anybody that isn't French registered i.e. has a SIRET number from the local prefecture. It can take up to eight months to become a French registered artisan, the French do like their red tape.

Good luck with the dry lining
Old 29 November 2008, 07:10 AM
beal
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments
Old 29 November 2008, 07:38 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Have you been there? It's a hole IMHO
Old 29 November 2008, 07:44 AM
beal
Scooby Regular

Not yet....The lady who owns the property is going to fly me over there to have a look.