Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone tell me why UK forces are in Afghanistan?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 05:23 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Can someone tell me why UK forces are in Afghanistan?

As title. Think there's been about 3 Royal Marines killed in as many days.

Afghanistan has nothing to do with us, and is not a threat to our national security. It's a joke IMO - one that isn't funny in any way for the families that have lost loved ones...and for what?

It always has to be good old Great Britain that helps out the rest of the world. And if there is a problem, why aren't other EU countries getting involved?

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 27 November 2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 27 November 2008, 05:26 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ministry of Defence | Fact Sheets | Operations Factsheets | Operations in Afghanistan: Background Briefing 1
Old 27 November 2008, 05:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

is it something to do with stopping the Taliban profiting from opium

-So well be there forever presumably, attempting to route out insurgents whilst accidentally ******* up the general populous
Old 27 November 2008, 05:33 PM
30psi
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

no no my friend it is to steal oil from the afghans an make the american rich
Old 27 November 2008, 06:06 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
is it something to do with stopping the Taliban profiting from opium

-So well be there forever presumably, attempting to route out insurgents whilst accidentally ******* up the general populous
Yes we'll be there forever if the numpties in charge of this country have anything to do with it. We won't be able to 'beat' the Taliban - they are on their own ground with a no doubt never-ending supply of replacements, and no one has ever defeated them in the past.
Old 27 November 2008, 06:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Just looks like Government drivel to me though
Old 27 November 2008, 06:44 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Yes we'll be there forever if the numpties in charge of this country have anything to do with it. We won't be able to 'beat' the Taliban - they are on their own ground with a no doubt never-ending supply of replacements, and no one has ever defeated them in the past.
The Russians tried for years and never succeeded
Old 27 November 2008, 07:06 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

A lot of drugs come out of there. Might have something to do with it...?
Old 27 November 2008, 07:10 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos
A lot of drugs come out of there. Might have something to do with it...?
i'm sure i read somewhere that 91% of the worlds heroin comes from there
Old 27 November 2008, 07:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by islamicscooby
no no my friend it is to steal oil from the afghans an make the american rich
Is this a joke?
Old 27 November 2008, 07:29 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
i'm sure i read somewhere that 91% of the worlds heroin comes from there
The availability of heroin has exploded, and the price reduced since coalition forces arrived in Afghanistan.

Coincidence?
Old 27 November 2008, 07:44 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is to do with drugs why are we not at war with Columbia aswell?
Old 27 November 2008, 07:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
If it is to do with drugs why are we not at war with Columbia aswell?
Precisely!

If that is the case - How many herion addicts are going to die in Britain as a result of the armed forces not being there? I'm pretty sure it can't be more than the number of soldiers that have been killed out there.
Old 27 November 2008, 07:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The OP asked why we are in Afganistan...well

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned an incident that happen on 11th September 2001.

The reason we went to war is clear and obvious, the Taliban (who have a truly dreadful ideology) were giving shelter the terrorists leaders who planned and sanctioned the attacks (that killed nearly 3,000 people).

The attacks triggered the NATO alliance policy of 'one member attacked, all are attacked'. So NATO gave the Taliban an ultimatum to hand over Bin Laden and his cronies or else, the Taliban chose 'or else'.

Now we can all debate whether the action has been effective and whether there is any real prospect of long term success, but the justification for this war is clear.
Old 27 November 2008, 08:20 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Precisely!

If that is the case - How many herion addicts are going to die in Britain as a result of the armed forces not being there? I'm pretty sure it can't be more than the number of soldiers that have been killed out there.
imagine how much money 91% of the worlds heroin is worth?, and its the taliban that control the opium feilds, well the farmers get paid by them for growing it.

From what i've read the armed forces are there(amongst other reasons) trying to then encourage farmers to grow other crops and then protect them from the taliban.

In the same article it said that the army had stopped a big shipment with a street value of i think £400m, with the taliban getting hold of that sort of money and that was just one batch! imagine what carnage they could cause.
Old 27 November 2008, 08:21 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Afghanistan has nothing to do with us, and is not a threat to our national security.
I think you will find it does and it is.

For what its worth, I am a serving soldier and i have just literally returned from 6 months in Helmand Province. My perception on the why's and what for's has changed considerably during my tour. I was going to write an explanation as to why we are there and why we will be there for some time to come but, i have decided not to waste my time and i'd rather not be quoted in case some of my facts are wrong.

I suggest if you want to know the facts you should do some research. You may well be suprised.

Our efforts are not in vain.
Old 27 November 2008, 08:53 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D

For what its worth, I am a serving soldier and i have just literally returned from 6 months in Helmand Province. My perception on the why's and what for's has changed considerably during my tour. I was going to write an explanation as to why we are there and why we will be there for some time to come but, i have decided not to waste my time and i'd rather not be quoted in case some of my facts are wrong.

I suggest if you want to know the facts you should do some research. You may well be suprised.

Welcome back, and no matter what people say about the rights and wrongs of any involvement in these conflicts, you should be rightly proud of yourself for having the courage to do the job. Our armed forces, and all those that are involved, deserve our full and unconditional support.
Old 27 November 2008, 08:54 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D

Thanks for that. I will do some research - need to get my facts straight. I posted this when I got home after hearing on the radio that two Royal Marines had been killed; and just a few days ago a Royal Marine local to me was also killed. It's interesting to have your point of view, and obviously people sign up to do the job...but my opinion has always been that the job should be to directly defend the country and it's foreign interests, and defend allies.

It just doesn't seem right when you keep reading in the papers that more and more soldiers have been killed, with no obvious positive outcome.
Old 27 November 2008, 08:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
Welcome back, and no matter what people say about the rights and wrongs of any involvement in these conflicts, you should be rightly proud of yourself for having the courage to do the job. Our armed forces, and all those that are involved, deserve our full and unconditional support.
+1
Old 27 November 2008, 09:05 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

spot on!

although the lads are dieing for a pointless conflict, it is impossible to win in a situation where the "enemy" is atually the people your trying to protect.

us general once said " in order for us to secure the village we had to destroy it" crazy but seems like the only option.

the ruskeys had more tanks more men, more firepower and they got beaten to hell in afganistan. what people forget is we atually supplied the afganys with weapons and ammo.
Old 27 November 2008, 09:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
The OP asked why we are in Afganistan...well

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned an incident that happen on 11th September 2001.

The reason we went to war is clear and obvious, the Taliban (who have a truly dreadful ideology) were giving shelter the terrorists leaders who planned and sanctioned the attacks (that killed nearly 3,000 people).

The attacks triggered the NATO alliance policy of 'one member attacked, all are attacked'. So NATO gave the Taliban an ultimatum to hand over Bin Laden and his cronies or else, the Taliban chose 'or else'.

Now we can all debate whether the action has been effective and whether there is any real prospect of long term success, but the justification for this war is clear.
An eye for an eye and all that
Old 27 November 2008, 10:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
An eye for an eye and all that
Old 27 November 2008, 10:16 PM
Luke
BANNED

the Government should "pull out" from this pathetic 'war' and fight the "battle" a little more "covert"

easier and less mess. They can easily know what's going on and who needs a 'slap"
Old 27 November 2008, 10:20 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

We need to get some our so-called allies to pull their weight a bit more too. As usual it's UK, US and Canadian forces that are doing the hard yards.
Old 27 November 2008, 10:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

It might even produce less converts into the bargain

nodding towards Luke
Old 28 November 2008, 01:09 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

As title. Think there's been about 3 Royal Marines killed in as many days.

Afghanistan has nothing to do with us, and is not a threat to our national security. It's a joke IMO - one that isn't funny in any way for the families that have lost loved ones...and for what?

It always has to be good old Great Britain that helps out the rest of the world. And if there is a problem, why aren't other EU countries getting involved?
We should send our hardest troops to Pakistan with Carte Blanche to sort those tw@'s out once and for all.
Old 28 November 2008, 08:54 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jods
We should send our hardest troops to Pakistan with Carte Blanche to sort those tw@'s out once and for all.
Correction we should give our troops carte blanche to sort out the problem in the places they already are. You don't see the Taliban frightened to open fire or shouting warnings do you!!! I bet they are not worried about being court martialed for murder, manslaughter or firing a weapon.
Old 28 November 2008, 08:58 AM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Correction we should give our troops carte blanche to sort out the problem in the places they already are. You don't see the Taliban frightened to open fire or shouting warnings do you!!! I bet they are not worried about being court martialed for murder, manslaughter or firing a weapon.

would make no difference. The UK troops will never win there. its a waste of time .
Old 28 November 2008, 09:04 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
Absolutely agree

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me why UK forces are in Afghanistan?