Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How the other half live?!?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 03:58 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How the other half live?!?

I went to look at a kitten yesterday for my daughter, the house that had the litter was in a council estate in Long Eaton...omg, I have seen many programmes on TV, Kim and Aggie clean up your pit and the numerous Council cleaning service programmes but never believed many people lived like this, how wrong could I have been.
On approaching the house it didn't look good, end terraced top floor flat, there was litter, debre and general crap strewn all on the garden, tools rubbish and mess all up the stairs and as I approached the living room the scene was near indescribables, beer cans, dust, rubbish, floor tiles coming up etc etc.
The couple living there were welcoming enough, even though the house was a pit the guy had a N95 and a lappy!? Both obvious alco's.
The cat was utterly adorable, we kinda felt inclined to save it, I'm just glad it turned out to be a really friendly and lovable cat otherwise I dunno what we would have done, It wouldn't have had a great life there for sure.
I'm still amazed that people can live like this yet still have an obvious disposable income.
Old 27 November 2008, 04:05 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 years working in housing- seen it all.

what the telly never gets over to you is the stench.

I've lifted letterbox flaps and nearly passed out in the past. And I've a strong stomach.

wait till you see a 400 milk bottle strong urine collection.

or the bath and w.c filled with poo.

or carpets rotted through into the floorboards with filth, including animals rotted into them.
Old 27 November 2008, 04:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Was that you who came round? You dissin' my pad?
Old 27 November 2008, 04:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
What a sight to behold !
Old 27 November 2008, 04:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No used tampax floating around then ..?
Old 27 November 2008, 04:21 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you've also been round PSL's place
Old 27 November 2008, 04:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
So you've also been round PSL's place
Petes muslim then ???
Old 27 November 2008, 05:04 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Petes muslim then ???
Erm, perhaps I'm being a bit dense, but where's the gag?
Old 27 November 2008, 05:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

There isnt one .
Old 27 November 2008, 08:09 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

20 years working in housing- seen it all.

what the telly never gets over to you is the stench.

I've lifted letterbox flaps and nearly passed out in the past. And I've a strong stomach.

or the bath and w.c filled with poo.

or carpets rotted through into the floorboards with filth, including animals rotted into them.
I don't know how you did it mate, did it make you angry or sad?
Old 27 November 2008, 08:15 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

i was working in a house the other day,there was a a big lump of what appeared to human **** stuck to the ceiling,nice.i have been working for the local council for so long now im immune to it,i love it when we have to take out new employees,the look of shock on their faces is priceless.
Old 27 November 2008, 08:19 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtijames
i was working in a house the other day,there was a a big lump of what appeared to human **** stuck to the ceiling,nice.i have been working for the local council for so long now im immune to it,i love it when we have to take out new employees,the look of shock on their faces is priceless.
I was working in a council lat a few years back where the tenants had been evicted. They had written "die council scum" on their wall in ****, they also flooded the place for good measure
Old 27 November 2008, 08:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember working in a house that was like this...

House was on it's own out in the countryside, and the people were actually quite stuck up their own *****.

First thing I noticed was the dog sh*t that was scattered all over the drive at the front of the house. Then before going in, I noticed the windows were filthy and covered in cobwebs that were on the inside!

That was just the start. I could hardly breathe because of the smell in the porch, which only seemed to get stronger the further I went into the house. There was dog sh*t smeared all over the lino in the hall, and all over the skirting boards and on some of the wall - I'm talking about stuff that had been there for years.

Then there was the kitchen: rotten vegetables all over the worktops(again the smell only just bearable), more dog ****, cobwebs and thick dust on the cooker - as well as years worth of food.

Also, the two springer spaniels that had done all the sh*tting were in a terrible state: filthy, and nails that protruded over an inch past the end of the paw.

Felt like reporting them for animal cruelty - the miserable lazy b*stards. Hate people like this with a passion.
Old 27 November 2008, 09:03 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

a couple of years ago i was called out to a fault on a socket circuit,i traced the fault back to a kids bedroom,i then noticed when i unscrewed the socket it was wet,the fault was caused by the dirty little b-stad being too lazy to get up at night so was pissing in the corner onto the socket.thank goodness for alcohol wipes.
have you also noticed its always the stinking houses that offer you a cuppa,strangly ive always just had one.
Old 27 November 2008, 09:07 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a couple of years ago i was called out to a fault on a socket circuit,i traced the fault back to a kids bedroom,i then noticed when i unscrewed the socket it was wet,the fault was caused by the dirty little b-stad being too lazy to get up at night so was pissing in the corner onto the socket.thank goodness for alcohol wipes.
have you also noticed its always the stinking houses that offer you a cuppa,strangly ive always just had one.
That one with the rotten veg on the worktops was one of them. You wouldn't even trust the water coming out the kitchen taps to be clean to wash it, so what chance do the cups have! I just kept flinging the tea in the bush outside.
Old 27 November 2008, 09:14 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

My husband managed to badger me into thinking about getting a kitten a few years ago. We went to see some in a house in Barrhead in Glasgow. Dear lord, had I known what it was like I would never have gone in as I was pregnant at the time.

Two bed council house, it was filthy and smelly, as were the four kids - they looked like they hadn't been washed in months. 2 massive dogs, 3 cats, one of which had given birth to a litter. Got to see the kitten and took him there and then even though I didn't want one at that time and had no intention of keeping him. The poor thing was riddled with fleas - when I looked amongst it's fur at the scruff of the neck you could see loads of them running around. I'm surprised the poor thing wasn't demented No doubt the whole house was riddled with fleas. Dirty ba5tards. Took him home and kept him in the bathroom until I had managed to get rid of the fleas and dewormed him. It was round about the time of the ashes so we named him Freddy after Mr Flintoff Took him to the cat protection a few weeks later and as I was walking in with him a lass spotted me - he was housed straight away. It was nice to meet his new owner, she was lovely.

Had to laugh though, the smelly kids cottoned on to my Edinburgh accent and called me a snob as I walked out!

Last edited by eClaire; 27 November 2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 27 November 2008, 09:24 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Must be a cat thing.. I went to a similar house a few years ago to buy a cat for the mrs. You couldn't even see the floor in the hallway, unfortunately for me the woman was 'keeping' them in the downstairs toilet too!
Old 27 November 2008, 09:28 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been offered a beer at 11 in the morning they were sat there watching jerry springer at 11 in the morning

It was funny how they could find money for beer and **** but come the weekend they would call us out because they had run out of "leccy" we in turn had to call out some poor sod from sweb to stick some emergency credit on their meter.
Old 27 November 2008, 09:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by eClaire
My husband managed to badger me into thinking about getting a kitten a few years ago. We went to see some in a house in Barrhead in Glasgow. Dear lord, had I known what it was like I would never have gone in as I was pregnant at the time.

Two bed council house, it was filthy and smelly, as were the four kids - they looked like they hadn't been washed in months. 2 massive dogs, 3 cats, one of which had given birth to a litter. Got to see the kitten and took him there and then even though I didn't want one at that time and had no intention of keeping him. The poor thing was riddled with fleas - when I looked amongst it's fur at the scruff of the neck you could see loads of them running around. I'm surprised the poor thing wasn't demented No doubt the whole house was riddled with fleas. Dirty ba5tards. Took him home and kept him in the bathroom until I had managed to get rid of the fleas and dewormed him. It was round about the time of the ashes so we named him Freddy after Mr Flintoff Took him to the cat protection a few weeks later and as I was walking in with him a lass spotted me - he was housed straight away. It was nice to meet his new owner, she was lovely.

Had to laugh though, the smelly kids cottoned on to my Edinburgh accent and called me a snob as I walked out!

Strange thing to do, I can't imagine getting a kitten like that and then just taking it to be re-homed. As for a woman doing it?.. hard you Scottish folk
Old 27 November 2008, 10:10 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

cat fleas are just plain evil,they just love me i get bitten to **** every summer.when i get home from work i have to strip off in my utility room and put my clothes in a bin bag.another one of the joys of council work
Old 27 November 2008, 10:14 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by eClaire

The house I went to had a Staffie that was just about to give birth, is this some underground scene we don't know about?
Old 27 November 2008, 10:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by +Doc+
I went to look at a kitten yesterday for my daughter, the house that had the litter was in a council estate in Long Eaton...omg, I have seen many programmes on TV, Kim and Aggie clean up your pit and the numerous Council cleaning service programmes but never believed many people lived like this, how wrong could I have been.
On approaching the house it didn't look good, end terraced top floor flat, there was litter, debre and general crap strewn all on the garden, tools rubbish and mess all up the stairs and as I approached the living room the scene was near indescribables, beer cans, dust, rubbish, floor tiles coming up etc etc.
The couple living there were welcoming enough, even though the house was a pit the guy had a N95 and a lappy!? Both obvious alco's.
The cat was utterly adorable, we kinda felt inclined to save it, I'm just glad it turned out to be a really friendly and lovable cat otherwise I dunno what we would have done, It wouldn't have had a great life there for sure.
I'm still amazed that people can live like this yet still have an obvious disposable income.
and here was me up in Long Eaton on Tuesday visiting the local councillor to sort out her p.c. If you want to see the OTHER end of the scale, her house is up there with the best!!!

Stunning property, you have to drive through the woods to loop round to the end of the drive.

Oh, when I say "loop round" I mean up the drive that loops through the damn woods....
Old 27 November 2008, 10:36 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

the people who used to live next door to us where dirty b@stards like those above. They had 2 dogs, 15 cats and god knows how many caged birds and the cats would **** everywhere, usually in our garden, while they would walk the dogs and let them **** all over the local paths. Cleaning up after their dogs was too much hard work.

Once had to go round to complain about the noise they where making, there kids had their stereo on at stupid volume!. When they opened the door the smell nearly knocked me off my feet. As usual all the curtains where shut and there where bags of rubbish overflowing all over the kitchen and dining room. In fact they where piled almost to the ceiling in the dining room!

We came home one day to find one of their dogs dead in the back garden and they left it there for weeks. Even though they had to walk past it to get to their car.

They eventually did a moonlight flit, leaving their mortgage company the house and the mess. The cleaning company that came round gutted the house and filled 11 skips with rubbish bags, which where full of rubbish.

What really made me think about the state of their house was, he was a cleaner and she was a senior nurse!
Old 27 November 2008, 10:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Blimey theres really no fathoming folk,

The only utterly disgusting place a went to (council house ) had a couple of old people who could hardly move - so i suppose they had half an excuse
Old 28 November 2008, 07:58 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I went to high school with a lass who's house was unbelievable. Her mother just drank all the time and the 2 younger kids just had to get on with it and sort themselves out, when I would go to that house before a night out I would never eat food there as the benches had old food on them and the cat would walk across everything in the kitchen! I would go and get a takeaway.
Piles of clothes everywhere, I dunno to this day if they were supposed to be clean or dirty, dust was on everything, not just a thin layer, this stuff was like hoover fluff! You had to literally find a way through when walking. One day I was there and had to use the bathroom It was dirty, but I had to go lol, infront of the sink was a pile of clothes, I had no choice but to stand on them as I couldn't get to the sink otherwise, someone had left a pair of heeled shoes under the pile, so I stepped on these shoes and set my neck, went flying and grabbed onto the shower curtain and ripped it down! They just thought it was funny, I found it embarrassing, not ripping the shower curtain down, but because it was because of the state of the place!
There is no excuse with anyone that they can't keep a clean and tidy house, no matter where you live, it's just pure lazyness to let it get to the stages that have been posted on here. I must say, I think I need to go and wretch now.............
Old 28 November 2008, 08:14 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I've been reading this thread whilst (trying) to eat my brekkie!
I wonder what the people who live in these slum conditions say to each other when they see the clean up programmes on TV?
'Look at the state of those dirty ba5tards!!'
Old 28 November 2008, 09:52 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8
What a sight to behold !
mmmmm... I feel really thirsty
Old 28 November 2008, 12:54 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

the council now give people cash when they leave, if they don't trash the place. Seems totally unjust, but it's a damn site cheaper in the long run.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

I've realised the link for a long time - the more squalor people live in, the more animals they seem to keep to make it worse
Old 28 November 2008, 01:34 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've seen lots of houses through work where you feel the need to wipe your feet on the way OUT of the house.
tHEY ALWAYS HAVE HUGE tv's, laptop's etc though as there are stores like Brighthouse who will happily sell these items on credit with an APR of 50% etc