Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Given up on Egypt how about the Dominican Republic

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2008, 01:02 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Given up on Egypt how about the Dominican Republic

After reading your comments and other information i have given up on Egypt and now i am looking at the Dominican Republic. I have been to cancun before and loved it so im hoping dominican might be similar.

I have been told one side of the island is nice and the other is a dump. Is that the north or south or is that wrong.

I have found a good deal for the Bahia princip san juan Puerto plato. Is puerto plato nice.

What is the most poplar town in the domician to stay. We are a young couple in are 20's

Thanks for all your help.

I did look at dubai but it was to expensive
Old 26 November 2008, 01:20 PM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

if you want me to look for you mate, i work for a travel agent, send me a pm if you do.
Old 26 November 2008, 01:28 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

never been to cancun, but been to dom rep. mrs g and i went there about 9 yrs ago on boxing day and stayed for 2 weeks (be aware that coconut milk is a laxative )

think we stayed in the north east of the island. could have been puerto plata, but not sure. went all over the place (taxis are dirt cheap) but usually only in the daytime. we went for a quiet break, so no idea what the night life is like, but it was a third world country when we were there - not sure if the same is true now or not. went diving quite a few times, trip into the mountains in a 60's army personnel land rover thingy to see where jurassic park was shot and a visit to a local family's house, shopping in the place where christopher columbus apparently landed (not sure what the town in called), walked to the beach etc etc

would definately go again if that helps you
Old 26 November 2008, 01:39 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Had a fortnight in the Dom. Rep. last February. Really enjoyed it.

Kind of depends what you are after, most of the holidays over there are to big, exclusive, all-in type resorts. At the time that was exactly what we needed as we'd had a busy year culminating in moving house. Therefore two weeks of lazing around in the sun having to do very little was very appealing.

Unfortunately the country itself is pretty much third world so a bit of a shock if you leave the resort. We went on a truck safari (recommended) and saw some of the real Dominican Republic. We got the feeling that things were improving for them as the tourist money started to filter down. Still makes you glad for what you have though.

We stayed on the north (Atlantic) coast which is apparently not as nice as the southern Caribbean side but it was fine for us. The beach was good if a little rocky and the sea was warm.

Flew into Puerto Plata and our resort was a few miles up the coast at the RIU. Was nice as it was away from the main conglomeration of hotels at Puerto Plata but I've heard these are nice enough. The RIU resort was split into three sections, the Mambo, Meringue and Bacata, however they we all pretty much the same and we could use the facilities of any of them. The were all spread around this big private bay, probably about half a mile walk from one end to the other. Was bliss.

Plenty of entertainment laid on if you want that sort of thing but easy enough to find a quiet spot. Lots of food, drink, and good Rum.

Some folk may say you'll get stomach bugs as due to the generally poor state of the country the hygiene isn't great but we didn't have any problems. The resort we were in seemed to take the hygiene side of things very seriously. Just avoid the tap water I think is the main thing.

Anyway I've rattled on enough, go for it, you will enjoy it
Old 26 November 2008, 01:54 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

Friends of ours went to Samana in September and absolutely loved it, it's on the peninsular of the Dominican Republic, don't know about the night life tho cos they are in late 40s early 50s, but they do enjoy a good night out, but probably not the same as you are looking for. Also found this which might help.
Samana Net, News and Information Service, Samana peninsula Dominican Republic
Old 26 November 2008, 05:12 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Have you looked at Oman, ? I went there couple of years ago and it was a nice place to be and only 7 hr flight
Old 26 November 2008, 05:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was at peurto plata last year, the town centre isn't really a safe place to be and you get hounded constantly to buy things, The taxi's are a proper pain in you want to go to peurto plata as they insist on taking you for a tour which although sounds good its a nightmare in the end as you can't go where you want to and they make sure you are in there mates shops so they can constantly hound you to buy things. My wife pretended she was ill after 1 hour just so we could get back to hotel. The holtels are nice and I only discovered after I left that I could of eaten and drank in any of the close neighbouring hotels during the daytime I think the all inclusive idea in the dominican is very similar to egypt except in the dominican you can pour your own drinks They have optics near the bar The sea is lovely and warm although its a bit mucky as the waves crash in. I liked it in the dominicam but I have to say egypt is better as the n ightlife in naarma bay is much better plus there is more to see in egypt once you wander away from the hotel
Old 26 November 2008, 05:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Stayed in Punta Cana in Jan.... would DEFINATLY return

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...caribbean.html