Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Designer Labels

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2008, 01:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Designer Labels

One of my lads came home going on about designer gear, not something I want to encourage, anyone else thing that designer gear is fine, nice cut, good quality and decent style but if it has a visible label then it is resolutely naff.

We see kids at school dressed head to toe in stuff that costs hundreds of pounds, how can I avoid mine getting obsessed or is it unavoidable.
Old 23 November 2008, 01:54 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally unavoidable i would imagine sir , i was REAAAL bad when i was in secondary school 93-98ish when it was stupidly loudly label'd attire

DP - My personal favourite i was rocking out silver jackets ,mustard baggy jeans combos etc etc !!

Now im 28 my clothes cost a lot more than they did then , but they are a hell of a lot more subtle .
Old 23 November 2008, 02:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not a lable person, however i do like good quallity as im sure do most people.
If you dont get your kid the stuff he wants two things Will happen, he will be ridiculed by his peers and he will resent you for it.
My parents didnt get the name stuff and i experienced this, and as a result i would do my best to wreck the stuff they did get so as to stop the teasing at school and on the street.
when eventually they did get me addidas trainers instead of tesco ones they lasted ages as i took such good care of them..
The other negative is that there is the possibility that said child may resort to crime to get the things they desire..
I dont advocate this approach but it is unfortunatly a fact of the society we live in
I by the way did not resort to crime but i knew lots that did and that was 25yrs ago and it's definatley worse now..
Old 23 November 2008, 02:06 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Get him to do jobs about the house to make the difference up between what you want to get him and what he wants. You get stuff done, he gets a good work ethic going, gets the gear he wants and will appreciate it and look after it more.
Old 23 November 2008, 02:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think he will resort to crime, he is nine and doesn't go out of our sight really, he cant pinch a biscuit without getting caught.

It's funny, they are all at independent schools and its the first time any of them have bothered, it doesnt seem as prevalent as it was for me at state school, though he had spent time this weekend with the son of some very wealthy showoffs, most aren't like that, apart from the odd one or two, most are fairly discreet.

He is the family Chav, he likes football shirts and bling, we had to persuade him out of getting a large gold dollar sign necklace once, the others arent bothered.
Old 23 November 2008, 02:09 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Im not a lable person, however i do like good quallity as im sure do most people.
If you dont get your kid the stuff he wants two things Will happen, he will be ridiculed by his peers and he will resent you for it.
My parents didnt get the name stuff and i experienced this, and as a result i would do my best to wreck the stuff they did get so as to stop the teasing at school and on the street.
when eventually they did get me addidas trainers instead of tesco ones they lasted ages as i took such good care of them..
The other negative is that there is the possibility that said child may resort to crime to get the things they desire..
I dont advocate this approach but it is unfortunatly a fact of the society we live in
I by the way did not resort to crime but i knew lots that did and that was 25yrs ago and it's definatley worse now..
Yep, I know where you're coming from and agree completely (except the crime bit, thinking about it).
For me it was not as long ago but everyone wanted to look like a wigger where I went to school, they looked faffing ridiculous (upper middle class white kids look bloody stupid in Karl Kani IMHO, wow did they look dumb ), I didn't adhere to the same 'fashion trend' and so I took some flak. That all changed at college though
Old 23 November 2008, 04:36 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

I agreee with the reward system mentioned by BobT, although my parents used exams etc as well as jobs for my rewards, and I do the same for MY son.

If he wants a new game/Nike Ronaldinho boots/ManU shirt etc etc etc, if he does well in tests at school (he's only 10) and does some work in the garden with weeds etc he might get it.
Old 23 November 2008, 05:04 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

nearest i got to fashion at school was a pair of highly polished loafers, sharp pair of StayPressed trousers, button down white shirt and a tie done up with the narrow end at the front and the rest stuffed down behind the shirt!!!! lol.

then in 84, migrated to lyle & scott / pringle jumpers and gabbici roll necks.
oh and farah trousers.... hahaahahhaha

must have looked a right ****, glad noones got any pics of it!!!!