Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2008, 06:40 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friday mornings commute

reminded why I enjoy cycling in to work occasionally

Glorious crisp morning, very quiet on the roads, the bridleway was empty apart from one old guy who is always walking his two labradours (who are gorgeous, old and very friendly!) and a family group who all got out the way without being asked.

I got a thank you wave for allowing a lady to overtake a milk float (that I could've pulled out in front of to beat.. I was turning right onto the main road when the milk float came from the left)

I had a good natter with a pavement cleaning chap who promised to clean all the wet leaves up on the cycleway before I cycled home that night (and he did!)

All the school kids kindly got out the way as I cycled down the shared path, apart from one lad who hadn't seen me (he was looking the other way), he stepped into my path and I barely missed shoulder barging him. A teenage lad and he immediately apologised! I said "no problems mate and thanks!!"

Right after that a white van man was turning right into the road I wanted to pull out of (turning right) and he held up the traffic behind him to allow me out.

Turning right off that road just further up and the guy behind backed straight off to allow me to pull out.

A taxi driver stopped over-taking me when he saw he would difficulty rather than left hook me. He *could've* done it, but i would've suffered for it.

I have to pull across 4 lanes of traffic at one point, (Ashbourne Rd / Friar Gate bit in Derby for those who know it) one way was clear and the traffic the other way stopped to let me across.

I had a tail wind the whole way in and my new bike is bloody great!!!

How many of you lot stuck in your tin boxes have that kind of great commute in?

Honestly it was just like a great karma day on Friday.... the bleeding wind even shifted round in the evening to give me a slight quartering tailwind going home
Old 22 November 2008, 06:50 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Friday commutes?

Well, I wander downstairs, and that's about it!
Old 22 November 2008, 07:09 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I have to walk all the way to my van, it's a good 20ft away!
Old 22 November 2008, 07:11 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

everyday commute involves a tin-box on wheels and a nearly always empty road called "The Straight Mile"

I can physically see my petrol gauge needle moving downwards on it
Old 22 November 2008, 07:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine wasnt so great on Friday, had a Pug 107 nearly sideswipe me as the pratt overtook on a blind bend and hadnt anticipated the artic coming the other way.

My second Cateye single shot plus bracket disintegrated so it got packed up and posted back, great piece of kit in theory, good output but fatally flawed design as its to heavy for the bracket it comes with.
Old 22 November 2008, 07:38 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
reminded why I enjoy cycling in to work occasionally

Glorious crisp morning, very quiet on the roads, the bridleway was empty apart from one old guy who is always walking his two labradours (who are gorgeous, old and very friendly!) and a family group who all got out the way without being asked.

I got a thank you wave for allowing a lady to overtake a milk float (that I could've pulled out in front of to beat.. I was turning right onto the main road when the milk float came from the left)

I had a good natter with a pavement cleaning chap who promised to clean all the wet leaves up on the cycleway before I cycled home that night (and he did!)

All the school kids kindly got out the way as I cycled down the shared path, apart from one lad who hadn't seen me (he was looking the other way), he stepped into my path and I barely missed shoulder barging him. A teenage lad and he immediately apologised! I said "no problems mate and thanks!!"

Right after that a white van man was turning right into the road I wanted to pull out of (turning right) and he held up the traffic behind him to allow me out.

Turning right off that road just further up and the guy behind backed straight off to allow me to pull out.

A taxi driver stopped over-taking me when he saw he would difficulty rather than left hook me. He *could've* done it, but i would've suffered for it.

I have to pull across 4 lanes of traffic at one point, (Ashbourne Rd / Friar Gate bit in Derby for those who know it) one way was clear and the traffic the other way stopped to let me across.

I had a tail wind the whole way in and my new bike is bloody great!!!

How many of you lot stuck in your tin boxes have that kind of great commute in?

Honestly it was just like a great karma day on Friday.... the bleeding wind even shifted round in the evening to give me a slight quartering tailwind going home
Just out of interest, how far do you cycle to work and how long does it take you?
Old 22 November 2008, 08:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do 7 miles in 25 to 30 mins depending on headwinds, energy etc

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2008, 10:07 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

14.5 miles on average takes an hour.

My personal best was 50 minutes. Oddly I cycled no faster (I think!) I just had a really good run with the traffic.

To get that time was a personal mile-stone. My next is 45 minutes which if my maths is right means an average of 18mph