Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unsafe at any speed - Road safety policy in the United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2002, 01:38 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting (if rather long) paper on the ABD site discussing the current government's approach to road safety and more effective ways to reduce the number of deaths on Britain's roads.

http://www.abd.org.uk/unsafe_at_any_speed.htm
Old 15 February 2002, 02:13 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
That's a fascinating study. I've not yet read it all, but I will, and then see if I agree with the summary recommendations, some of which look extremely good, and some of which don't seem practical.

But I'll state my prejudices right up front.
1) I am a total hyocrite and while it's fine for me to speed occasionally, I do not want to see speed limits increased.
2) This is because I firmly believe that 90% of drivers are crap and if I am to get involved in their accidents I would rather they were doing 70mph and not 90mph.
3) It is impossible to improve general driving standards significantly, therefore reducing speed is the only way to curb the damage.
4) Most drivers are so stupid that if they see a 90mph sign they think its fine to do 90mph, regardless of conditions. (When conditions are really bad, it is always those prats in big tank-like 4x4s that thunder past at silly speeds. They think they're invulnerable. Worse than Volvos.)
4) The only time I speed in 30 and 40mph zones is accidentally (no pun intended).
5) The government needs to sort out its road safety policy urgently. Currently, much of it makes neither sense nor safety and everybody knows it, resulting in widespread alienation and disrespect for the poor bu99ers who are supposed to enforce the law, the police.

Blimey! That was a bit serious for Friday afternoon Best get off my high horse and do some work Cheers,

Richard (looking forward to the debate )
Old 15 February 2002, 02:35 PM
ChrisB

O/T, Richard you have mail.

A very interesting read - grab a brew and waste a bit of Friday afternoon.
Old 15 February 2002, 06:37 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Very interesting, I'd never considered that in the governments' statistics, the cause of an accident might be classified as 'speed', when in fact the car was stolen by joyriders (for example).

A particularly like this quote from the conclusion:

'The difference is in scale and intent - between the drivers who decided to press on regardless, whatever the conditions and whatever the cost, and the driver who, while pressing on with maximum safe speed, is prepared slow down should conditions require. The former would drive at 60mph in a 30mph zone, the latter would never do so under any circumstances – but would do 90mph on a clear motorway.'

Tim
Old 18 February 2002, 10:03 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Hope you managed to read it all Hoppy In response:

1) Everyone believes that they are an above average driver.
2) Firstly, motorways are the safest roads, only 3% of all accidents occur on them. Secondly, the evidence suggests that increasing the speed limit reduces accidents as it results in more cars travelling at the same speed.
3) Despite what you might think, we already improve driving standards with a few lessons and a simple test. Further improvements would not be difficult. Reducing speed to curb damage is like slowing down aeroplanes to reduce deaths in the air.
4) This is down to education (or the lack thereof) and the government repeating the message that speed is the only cause of accidents.
5) Exactly.

I know it's quite a long paper, but it is worth the effort.
Old 18 February 2002, 04:51 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
David, good points.

Sorry, but I've not yet read the full paper. Spent the weekend enjoying myself instead (Jordan karting) Will do tonight.

Richard.