Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My best friend has lost his job and needs help

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2008, 01:00 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My best friend has lost his job and needs help

My best friend has lost his job and no it's not me lol. He lost it 2 weeks ago and has looked every where to find a new one but cant get anything.

He currently has his own house and his retired dad lives with him. He has only had the house a few years so there is no money in the house and he has a loan of about 13k and also a over draft.

He has no money at all and he just popped round and i didnt no what to say.

I am just after some advise to give him what are his opitons. He needs about £1300 a month to be ok so he needs quite a good job or 2 jobs he was a sales rep. Am i right in thinking it would be pointless taking a job cleaning for £3 a hour because he would just be wasting his time because the money would'nt touch the sides.

He has spoken to his mortgage company and they have spreaded this months payment over the rest but i doubt they will do this for much longer.

How long would he have do you reckon till they took the house of him. Would it worth him going backrupt then starting again debt clear renting a house for now.

any advise would be good

thanks
Old 17 November 2008, 01:04 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Can his Dad help out for a bit?

What industry was he in?

Could he travel a bit further?
Old 17 November 2008, 01:13 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

his dad gives him £60 a week but he cant work and has no savings

sales rep into the garden centre industry

Travels not a problem
Old 17 November 2008, 01:15 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

If he's had his house "a few years" there must be some equity in it, unless he's topped up the mortgage...
Landlords might have a problem renting to recent bankrupts - I would!
Tell him to getdown the job centre sharpish. Getting a job , any job, ASAP at least shows willing, and creditors might be more understanding.
Old 17 November 2008, 01:23 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

citizens advice bureau are the best form of advice/help he can get.

although a 13 K loan plus overdraft are going to hurt.

going bankrupt- as advertised on moron daytime tv, is to be avooided- it'll scar you for life etc.

why can dad only give £60 a wk- state pension will be higher- plus works pension ? plus any savings he has ? contributes to bills/running costs ?

how about renting a room out- that could bring some much needed cash in ?
Old 17 November 2008, 01:28 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think going bankrupt is going to help, no one is going to rent to a bankrupt and it's 12 months before you are discharged.
Old 17 November 2008, 01:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Don't dismiss the minimum wage regulations (assuming your mate is an adult?). What's the amount now? Just under £6 per hour even for cleaning I think which might help out for a while why he tries and gets something else and/or does some pub work in the evenings. Get in quick before the students nick all the seasonal jobs. Very best of luck to him but it's early days and something will come up. dl
Old 17 November 2008, 01:45 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Individual Voluntary Arrangements is the first thing before looking at bankruptcy.
Old 17 November 2008, 02:04 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I think the best thing for your mate would be to get some Free Debt Advice from a Debt Charity, they will sort things out with the credit firms on his behalf, there are three in this country..

CCCS - Free Debt Advice from the UK's Leading Debt Charity

National Debtline, for FREE CONFIDENTIAL and INDEPENDENT ADVICE call 0808 808 4000

I cant remember what the other is
Old 17 November 2008, 02:11 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

He can go onto benefits and survive.

Tell him to do a bit of research into ISMI, this will pay the interest part of his mortgage for him. From Jan 2009, there will be a 3 month wait before someone becomes eligible for it. (At the moment its 9months)

This benefit will pay the interest only part of a mortgage upto a maximum of £175k, he will still need to pay the repayment part himself.

He will need to claim JSA (dole) to become eligible for this benefit.

He should apply for JSA (contributions based) at the moment to tide him over, and he should inform the council for council tax purposes.

If he does get a low paid job, this can be made up with additional from WTC (Working tax credits)
Old 17 November 2008, 02:13 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a lodger and a second job to help cover the rising costs of things (and give me some extra cash). £3 an hour is not legal anyway.
Cleaning jobs are usually about £6.

Just as long as he isn't picky about jobs and has some common sense, he should be able to pull in enough cash to cover his costs, without too much fuss.

It's about not just getting into a spiral of depression and doing nothing. Diversify, get motivated (surely not being bankrupt is a good enough incentive),
and realise that it may take 2 or 3 jobs to keep things going, whilst looking for a proper career job.

It's tough out there in his situation but not impossible to deal with by any means. Get down the job centre, register with all the recruitment companies he can, check the local papers and generally be proper proactive and he should be ok.

Good luck to him!!

Cheers,

Tom
Old 17 November 2008, 02:18 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Thinking about it, he could cover his costs by working the right hours at Tescos or something and having an evening job as well, quite easily.

It probably seems like the end of the workd to him but things are rarely as bleak as they seem.

Forget benefits Jobcentre Plus
there are jobs on here daily and plenty of work out there if you look for it.
Old 17 November 2008, 02:52 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Does he not have redundancy insurance cover with his mortgage?

Wouldn't consider a mortgage without it.

Came in very handy around 10yrs ago when I got made redundant. It covered ALL my housing related bills plus an extra £300 a month. I'll always remember, that policy was the best 45 quid a month I'd ever spent!
Old 17 November 2008, 02:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Working nights in ASDA etc pays £7.80 so working 5 nights a week will pull in quite a bit !
Old 17 November 2008, 03:01 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

What alot of people don't realise is that it is incredibly hard to just go and get a job cleaning/warehouse/factory etc. because they'll take one look at your mate and know he's just doing it to tide himself over until something better comes along. My friend's husband was made redundant at the beginning of the year and has applied for everything, but no one's given him a chance at the lower end of the market because he was previously management. They know he's not going to stay.
Old 17 November 2008, 03:12 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

What area is he from ?
Old 17 November 2008, 03:23 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

1. Mcdonalds are always loooking for staff, and pay £6.35 an hour and there's plenty of overtime.

2. Mecca/Gala bingo always looking for staff, minimum wage but you can just do evenings to top up a daytime job.

3. Asda/Tesco always looking for staff.

all 3 are flexible jobs, so he can take time off for other interviews. . . .

TBH looking at IVA or bankruptcy after 2 weeks is ludicrous!
Old 17 November 2008, 03:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've had to get these sort of jobs a few times to fill in - evem enjoyed some of them. Plenty of casual jobs around - even now.
Best not to shout about being ex management (I never have) and just get on with it.
I've done mostly construction work (labouring, groundwork) to fill in but I guess that's thin on the ground at the moment?! Also done driving jobs too.

If things are bad, it helps just to do something. Signing on should be the absolute last resort.
Old 17 November 2008, 04:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I would suggest to your mate to pop into his local branch of "Working Links".

I've been officially out of work since Sept 11th this year (due to medical circumstance - well reported and slagged about on here). Anywho, I popped to my local Jobcentre and asked if there was any training or funding I would be eligable for. They suggested speaking to Working Links, which I duely did, and I'm just about to enroll back at College to study my ECDL (European computer driving license). So while I'm out of work I'm at least studying and gaining qualifications which opens up my currently restricted work band. Any sort of I.T./Admin job would do me.

So I would suggest these for help. There are 2 sections, one is for the general unemployed (which I believe your mate would fall into), and the other is the unemployed due to medical reasons (which I fall into due to my R.S.I./arthritis). You are eligable for funding as long as you are working less than 16 hours a week.

Feel free to pm me for more info, as it keep the usual vultures on here at bay

Andy
Old 17 November 2008, 06:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Mini cab driving?
Old 21 November 2008, 02:53 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
What alot of people don't realise is that it is incredibly hard to just go and get a job cleaning/warehouse/factory etc. because they'll take one look at your mate and know he's just doing it to tide himself over until something better comes along. My friend's husband was made redundant at the beginning of the year and has applied for everything, but no one's given him a chance at the lower end of the market because he was previously management. They know he's not going to stay.
I wouldn't have said that was strictly true, Clare. I've had no problem, neither has anyone else I know in getting a job in said industries. In fact, I've seen plenty of cleaning companies etc.screaming out for people to work for them as people aren't even turning up for the interviews!!
Old 21 November 2008, 05:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
I wouldn't have said that was strictly true, Clare. I've had no problem, neither has anyone else I know in getting a job in said industries. In fact, I've seen plenty of cleaning companies etc.screaming out for people to work for them as people aren't even turning up for the interviews!!
Couple of these cleaning jobs round my area. Even aprt time hours is better than owt, but my b*stard wrist is getting worse, where I can't wash the bastid car

May cut it off and claim disability and use my left hand instead

Then when they don't gimme a job I'll use the DDA in my favour and claim millions, millions I tell yea!!! Me and my fiancee will live like Kings!!!
Old 21 November 2008, 08:21 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Couple of these cleaning jobs round my area. Even aprt time hours is better than owt, but my b*stard wrist is getting worse, where I can't wash the bastid car

May cut it off and claim disability and use my left hand instead

Then when they don't gimme a job I'll use the DDA in my favour and claim millions, millions I tell yea!!! Me and my fiancee will live like Kings!!!
Yeah, I went for the old Supervisors job = little to no actual cleaning

Handy as a second source of income, plus apparently they might think about sortin a car for me at some point, which would defo help save the pennies for pressies for ye olde scoob n such.

p.s. I'm guessing you mean you'd be living like kings and queens
Old 21 November 2008, 11:45 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So while I'm out of work I'm at least studying and gaining qualifications which opens up my currently restricted work band. Any sort of I.T./Admin job would do me.
(which I fall into due to my R.S.I./arthritis).
Andy
hope that rsi is not in your wrists then!
Old 22 November 2008, 01:10 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
hope that rsi is not in your wrists then!
Yep, right wrist. It's an endurance thing, I.e. got no sustainable grip. Finger tips are ok, so can type okish.

Not really got much else option wise. Anyways this isn't about me, so abck on topic. You wanna discuss it, PM me.
Old 22 November 2008, 01:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Individual Voluntary Arrangements is the first thing before looking at bankruptcy.

NO - Neither is an option unless you want to be screwed over for the rest of your life.
Clarebabes - The only reason that people don't get one of these jobs is if they think that these jobs are 'beneath their standing'

Sadly I have to agree with Matteboy - Signing on is a last resort. If OP's mate put in a serious effort he could get something to generate a few quid. If he decides to be a victim then he will become one.

COB - You can't get a job because you have RSI???? - Sounds like you have decided to become a victim
Old 22 November 2008, 01:43 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
NO - Neither is an option unless you want to be screwed over for the rest of your life.
Clarebabes - The only reason that people don't get one of these jobs is if they think that these jobs are 'beneath their standing'

Sadly I have to agree with Matteboy - Signing on is a last resort. If OP's mate put in a serious effort he could get something to generate a few quid. If he decides to be a victim then he will become one.

COB - You can't get a job because you have RSI???? - Sounds like you have decided to become a victim
Yhpm.
Old 22 November 2008, 01:55 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Yhpm.
- Another sob no doubt
Old 22 November 2008, 02:02 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
- Another sob no doubt
If you aren't gonna be grown up about it I simply shall not reply in future

x2 back on topic.
Old 22 November 2008, 09:54 AM
JerryTerzo
Scooby Regular

Edited because the rude post has been removed.

Carry on.

Quick Reply: My best friend has lost his job and needs help