Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Child tax credits = Unwanted loan!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2008, 07:00 PM
Sam Dingle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Child tax credits = Unwanted loan!

After my first child was born 11 years ago, we were advised to apply for tax credits, unfortunately we took the advice and applied.

So all seemed well, we received a pittance a week from them, and I mean a pittance, but every little helps especially when both of us decided to go back to Uni to further our careers, any hoo to cut a long story short, they now tell us they have made a mistake, even though we filled out a form declaring our earnings every 6 months or so!

Yesterday we received a letter saying we now owe them 4k.... yes 4k, I don't think we even got that much from them in total!! We have to pay this 4k back within 12 months or we're gonna face all sorts of legal action, even to the extent of losing our house! **** me they made the mistake, but no it's us that suffer, we phoned them today and the minimum a month we can pay is £148.00. I so wish I hadn't taken the advice to apply for this crap and would advise anyone starting a new family to steer well clear of tax credits big time!

Sorry to rant but this has peed me off big time!

Anyone else had similar, any advice appreciated TIA

PS I know the Government is in trouble and need every penny they can get but this just takes the ****!
Old 14 November 2008, 07:10 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Are your combined earnings under 50k? If so you would still be entitled to an award, and you could ask them to take back the overpayment from the award.

If they are over 50k, write them a letter to appeal the clawback. It takes them about 6 months to look into it. Then write another one asking for clarification. That basically puts the overpayment claim on hold for a year.

The revenue must be strapped for cash. They phoned me yesterday demanding that I pay them the 24k that has been outstanding since July - I nearly ceighed myself as I had paid them what they asked for in July. They checked my name, address and phone number and said I hadn't paid anything. The girl on the phone was really snotty when I denied all knowledge. After much protesting of innocence she checked my UTR and it turns out she was supposed to be ringing someone else.
Old 14 November 2008, 07:28 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

We get the forms to fill in every year,but have not received any for a few years .Last year they told us we had been overpaid by a few hundred quid the previousyear I think it was .I wrote back asking how can we have been overpaid when we had not received any for several years .
I got a letter back saying they had looked into it and we did not have to pay anything back afterall .
They have not got a clue and are probably writing to everyone who has ever filled in their forms in the hope it scares people into giving back money they may never have received in the first place .
No wonder when they have given away billions ,that they cant account for now .
Chunks !!!!
Ask them to give you precise details of overpayment ,because you dont agree .
Old 14 November 2008, 07:36 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

The revenue are strapped for cash. They want to look into rent I received from a property in 2002! It's a bit of a bugger to be honest.

I also have an overpayment on my tax credits, I appealed and haven't heard anything since!
Old 14 November 2008, 07:37 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

BTW, it was THEIR fault I was overpaid.
Old 14 November 2008, 07:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Tam,

Zoe is in exactly the same situation and had the tax woman round the other day demanding about £2k. She told her to bugger off as it was bloody laughable.
They are still in discussions
Old 14 November 2008, 07:44 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

they cant demand 11 years back like that, start an appeal and then speak to a solicator

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2008, 07:45 PM
Sam Dingle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
BTW, it was THEIR fault I was overpaid.
Yeah, same in my case, I'm gonna fight it or at least pay it back over 11 years My O/H is a nurse working for the NHS and she is ****tin it cos they could make things difficult for her, she wanted to go get a bank loan and pay it off now, I told her not to be a dick, even go in to private health care rather than the NHS, but she is adamant about paying it back!! Idiot!! I've told her if she gets a loan to pay it off and continues to work for the NHS I'm offski!

Cheers for the replies folks, every little helps
Old 14 November 2008, 07:50 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

They are fuggin useless.
Ever year since we claimed them they got it wrong, and we had the whole 'you owe us 6.5k' stuff as well. They never admit they got it wrong, and will lie to make out it was your fault.
They told my wife she said she earned 3.5k per year, when she told them her real salary (19k). When she asked for the phone transcripts/tapes of the conversation, they completely ignored her.
We don't even bother to claim what we are entitled too now, as it's too much of a ball ache.
Wes
Old 14 November 2008, 08:28 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

we use to claim as well.only after a year they told us we owe them £600.they can stuff their tax credits up their ar*e.plus a mate was told after just 3 months of claiming that he owe them £5500 but he did get it sorted after a couple of weeks
Old 14 November 2008, 08:38 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

When we first got together our total income was £11K. The following year my wages went up and my wife started working (our daughter went to creche)

When we completed the forms they decided we'd had a couple of grand too much. we spent the next 4 or 5 years paying it back. No help with creche fees, no nothing. Its very much like they lend you the money when you need it but then when its still needed but they decided they want it back.

One year I decided not to bother completing the forms because every year we were told we owed them money. Around this time I got a bill for just under a grand. If you don't complete the forms they will ask you for the whole amount back. I completed the forms and they just said we owed them money and we wouldn't get anything.

I tried to fight it but just gave up. When ever we get the forms now we complete them and they just keep saying we owe money. Its an ongoing joke to see how much we owe this year.

On the flip side I know of a girl on benefits who is a hairdresser who has a Y reg 206CC and has just bought new DD sized ****. I know other people on benefits who have had more holidays in 3 years than I have in 31 and yet another person who has set out to blow as much money as possible this xmas then claim bankrupcy in the new year and pay **** all. She owns nothing so she can't have anything taken off her by creditors.

The holidays and the xmas presents I can handle but the fake **** on benefits just takes the biscuit!

Don't get me started on this.........oh
Old 14 November 2008, 08:53 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

The tax credit system was only introduced 2003/04
Old 14 November 2008, 08:58 PM
Sam Dingle
Scooby Regular

So should I sell my house, ask to be made redundant and whatever? It seems those on the dole get a better deal from the Government than us hard working Tax paying **** holes!! I'm really starting to grudge the fact my oh works for the NHS!!
Old 14 November 2008, 09:02 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

I might get some tax credits and get some fake **** for myself ..sounds like a plan, at least I will have something to play with all day when I am on the dole
Old 14 November 2008, 09:05 PM
Sam Dingle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I might get some tax credits and get some fake **** for myself ..sounds like a plan, at least I will have something to play with all day when I am on the dole
You better post a pic of them **** then sir!
Old 14 November 2008, 09:07 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Dingle
You better post a pic of them **** then sir!

Old 14 November 2008, 09:15 PM
Sam Dingle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Old 14 November 2008, 09:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
The tax credit system was only introduced 2003/04
Child Tax and Working Tax Credits replaced Family Tax Credits.

The biggest problems and why I think ours is and has been wrong for years is that they made countless mistakes in the change over and when you attempt to appeal they claim not to be able to provide records under Family Tax Credits.

I tried to fight it but lost interest in the end dealing with witless people on the phone. Something I do day in day out anyway.

As for the ****, well she does pay but then she doesn't pay for her home so she has spare money knocking around. I'm not allowed to see them but after a bit of grilling apparently they are quite heavy.