Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats happened to 'honesty'

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2008, 02:47 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats happened to 'honesty'

Watched in disbelief this morning as a 71/2tonne lorry was reversed onto one of my neighbours cars, damaging the front wing and bonnet!!

Driver? reversed or rather tried to reverse down the road and ended up putting the back of the lorry on top of the parked car!! He then pulled forwards, stopped, reversed past the car, stopped, then pulled up next to the car stopped and got out.

Ok I thought, hes doing the decent thing and is either leaving a note or trying to find the owner!! I popped upstairs and had a look out the window, the 'driver' (use the term losely) had not done what I thought, he had instead, tried to deliver his parcel to another neighbour and was preceding to get in his lorry and leave!!!

I put some shoes on and walked out the house to inform my neighbour and maybe stop the driver, No, the driver looked at me and drove off as fast as he could.

Gave all the details to my neighbour, company name and registration number, who said that he would phone the police because the driver had left the scene.

I haven't heard anything yet, from either the neighbour or police but, I suppose it has only been 4 hours since it happened!!!

Is this the way society is now?
Old 09 November 2008, 02:53 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex93
Watched in disbelief this morning as a 71/2tonne lorry was reversed onto one of my neighbours cars, damaging the front wing and bonnet!!

Driver? reversed or rather tried to reverse down the road and ended up putting the back of the lorry on top of the parked car!! He then pulled forwards, stopped, reversed past the car, stopped, then pulled up next to the car stopped and got out.

Ok I thought, hes doing the decent thing and is either leaving a note or trying to find the owner!! I popped upstairs and had a look out the window, the 'driver' (use the term losely) had not done what I thought, he had instead, tried to deliver his parcel to another neighbour and was preceding to get in his lorry and leave!!!

I put some shoes on and walked out the house to inform my neighbour and maybe stop the driver, No, the driver looked at me and drove off as fast as he could.

Gave all the details to my neighbour, company name and registration number, who said that he would phone the police because the driver had left the scene.

I haven't heard anything yet, from either the neighbour or police but, I suppose it has only been 4 hours since it happened!!!

Is this the way society is now?
Yup, sadly, things like this are fairly commonplace
I've even hard of people pretending to put a note on the cars windscreen with details of insurance etc. but then actually just having written something nasty instead. It's a funny old world
Old 09 November 2008, 03:03 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

There is still some left though....
My wife went out for a meal last night and left her phone in the taxi
this morning i got a call on my mobile from this woman telling me she found it on the back seat of a taxi last night,luckily my number was the firt number in her phone so she called that!!picked it up off this lady this morning and offered her some cash as appreciation she said"keep it and spend it on your kids!"
So..there's some nice honest people left.
Old 09 November 2008, 03:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beal
There is still some left though....
My wife went out for a meal last night and left her phone in the taxi
this morning i got a call on my mobile from this woman telling me she found it on the back seat of a taxi last night,luckily my number was the firt number in her phone so she called that!!picked it up off this lady this morning and offered her some cash as appreciation she said"keep it and spend it on your kids!"
So..there's some nice honest people left.

Wait 'till you get your phone bill
Old 09 November 2008, 03:19 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Driver panicked. You had all the details so he's going to get pulled for it and face even more trouble. If he'd admitted it at the time he'd get a roasting, now he's going to get major points and probably lose his job.
Old 09 November 2008, 03:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Jesus, Rex! Glad you took his vehicle registration details.

Shame that a few dishonest ones make the society look uncaring and deceitful, but I wouldn't think that dishonesty is so prevalent in the society. There are always a few (not just the one), as they say. Don't let those wrongs stand out too much for you, and don't lose trust in society either. There are some good people about, as beal says.

Have to agree that you hear about so many car bashing incidents. If no one is watching, they drive off. It recently happened to me. I left my car parked on the roadside, with my son on passenger seat. A woman (parked behind me) bashed the side of my car while manoeuvring to get her car out. She just drove off, even when she had noticed my son on the car. My son did take her car's registration number. Luckily, there was no damage to my car, just bumper markings. So, I didn't waste my time in reporting her etc. It would have been nice for her to stop, and check if there was any damage she had caused. But, there you go.

Last edited by Turbohot; 09 November 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09 November 2008, 03:29 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He still has time to report the accident - doesn't he have 24 hours to report it before it's a "leaving the scene of an accident" before it's official?

His boss will probably make him fill in an accident form tommorow if he sees the damage then report it to the local nick

What courier company was it?
Old 09 November 2008, 03:35 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Have to agree that you hear about so many car bashing incidents. If no one is watching, they drive off. It recently happened to me. I left my car parked on the roadside, with my son on passenger seat. A woman (parked behind me) bashed the side of my car while manouvering to get her car out. She just drove off, even when she had noticed my son on the car. My son did take her car's registration number. Luckily, there was no damage to my car, just bumper markings. So, I didn't waste my time in reporting her etc. It would have been nice for her to stop, and check if there was any damage she had caused. But, there you go.
Yeah that sorta thing has happened to me about 4 times in the last two years except there was minor damage each time and I never saw/caught who did it. I park as carefully as I can too. Don't park near people carriers, 4x4's or proper skips of cars but someone always manages to find a way of taking the paint off my bumper with theirs

On a postitve note, someone gave me their unexpired ticket for a car park I was driving into the other day
Old 09 November 2008, 03:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Alas it is the way of society today.

I believe that everyone has to be responsible and face up to their actions. Anyone who tries to avoid the repercussions of their actions are scumweasels but alas the scumweasel ratio in this country is getting worse. You only have to look at people on here who try to scumweasel their way out of speeding tickets when they know full well in their own mind they have been caught breaking the law...

My mum recently dinged a stationary van which was without it's driver. No witnesses but she stopped went in search of van man to no avail. She then noted the office number on the van, called them and got put through to one of the business owners. The guy said he would have a look when the van got back to depot and if he needed to make a claim he would call my mum back - he was astounded at her honesty and 10days later no call and so no claim

How many folk would do that today?

We are, alas, a very selfish and irresponsible society in the main.
Old 09 November 2008, 03:50 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
now he's going to get major points and probably lose his job.
And he knows where you live....

(You did the right thing)

Last edited by HankScorpio; 09 November 2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: missed a smilie
Old 09 November 2008, 04:10 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

you guys should try living in Ibiza..... where drink driving and touch (smash!) parking are generally accepted as the norm!

owbow
Old 09 November 2008, 04:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Yeah that sorta thing has happened to me about 4 times in the last two years except there was minor damage each time and I never saw/caught who did it. I park as carefully as I can too. Don't park near people carriers, 4x4's or proper skips of cars but someone always manages to find a way of taking the paint off my bumper with theirs

On a postitve note, someone gave me their unexpired ticket for a car park I was driving into the other day
I used to do this too, if for instance i had bought 2 hours parking and used only 1 hour up etc. But the council round here are bastids, so you put your cars reg. into the machine before paying. So you can only use that ticket for that car

Bollocks
Old 09 November 2008, 04:35 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no honesty in this country, especially when it comes to certain sections of our society

Had something similar in April where a lorry had scraped down the side of my car when I was parked up in a petrol station. My two boys were in the car.
I came out to find the lorry parked very close to me. Took down his details just in case and drive home. The two asian guys in the lorry waited until I left and then drove away. Found out later that they had really made a mess of my scoob. Reported it and gave all the details. The police tracked it down, but because the CCTV wasnt working and my son was too young to be a witness, they denied doing the damage and they got away with it.

Read into that what you may
Old 09 November 2008, 05:01 PM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

The company in question is a local company to me, in Eastbourne, won't name them yet, as it was the driver that hit the car, the firm is probably unaware of any wrong doing, I have not heard anything yet about what has happened since, perhaps the company when they find out will deal with the matter with a professional approach, so it would be unfair to muddy there name for the sake of one drivers bad call.

Agree, the driver maybe aware of where I live, this is something that always comes up when you witness something, you maybe expose yourself to some sort of, shall I say retribution!! So should people stay silent? I know I have done the right thing by giving my neighbour the details, I wish more people would do the same.

Will be interesting to see what the outcome is, always watch the programmes on tv about car crime etc etc and the penalties don't exactly fit the crime, so probably end up with my neighbour getting points and a fine for being in the way
Old 09 November 2008, 05:06 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I used to do this too, if for instance i had bought 2 hours parking and used only 1 hour up etc. But the council round here are bastids, so you put your cars reg. into the machine before paying. So you can only use that ticket for that car

Bollocks
Jeez, typical, swines indeed!!!
Old 09 November 2008, 05:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mybe couriers are instructed by their employers ( ala like bus drivers) to never admit to anything

either that or hes foriegn and onto the next employer already
Old 09 November 2008, 06:20 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

I can confirm that people do leave notes on cars when there's been a small knock.

I had a note left on my car on friday who thought I had hit his car and not left a note!!

He was a bit "annoyed" when I spoke to him on Friday.

Just been to see him and have proved it wasnt me and to his credit was very apologetic.

He's gutted though. only a VW Poll but it's almost new and he works in a local hotel and worked his nads off to get it.

At the end of which someone has hit him and driven off.
Old 09 November 2008, 06:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of decent honest people about - or at least i keep telling myself there are and every so oftern someone proves me right or wrong...
Old 09 November 2008, 07:46 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

drivers are instructed to admit nothing and hand over insurance details but the driver of the wagon more than likely panicked as he might get a bonus of say £100 a week for not having an accident so he stands to lose that plus you are by law supposed to tell your car insurance of any accident you have had in any motor vehicle so he could face increased motor insurance premiums. saying that though thats no excuse at all for driving away but he wont get sacked for doing it
Old 09 November 2008, 08:50 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

As phil says the company i work for is the same - don't accept responsabilty, get witness details, details of other parties involved, pass company details to other parties, report accident to manager asap, fill in accident form and if at fault lose £100 monthly bonus
Old 09 November 2008, 09:10 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rex93
The Agree, the driver maybe aware of where I live, this is something that always comes up when you witness something, you maybe expose yourself to some sort of, shall I say retribution!! So should people stay silent? I know I have done the right thing by giving my neighbour the details, I wish more people would do the same.
Old 10 November 2008, 01:19 PM
HPLovecraft
Scooby Regular

A few weeks ago I lightly scuffed my neighbours bumper trying to get out of a tight space. It would have been easy to just drive away as she probably wouldn't have noticed it for a few days. But then the little angel on my shoulder said 'How the f**k would you like it if the same were done to you' ?

So I knocked and let her know, plus offered to pay any damages. She was quite nice about it and after inspecting the mark told me to forget about it, but I still felt a bit guilty so I got her chocolates and a bottle of wine.
Old 10 November 2008, 01:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

People denting my passenger door in carparks and not even leaving a sorry note really ****s me off. The last person who did it hit my door that hard, it left a 5mm deep dimple filled with THERE PAINT!!! and knocked my window out of alignment. Now to do that you would need to hit it with some force but did they leave a note? nope! I would like to point out as well that i give generous space to cars beside me as i always park with one side of my car against a wall or barrier leaving about 3/4foot space between the yellow line and my car but this simply isn't enough for idiots!

Last count i found 5dents on the crease line of my door haven't washed it in 3weeks so that number could have doubled as i only notice them when washing the car.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Honesty is still alive and well

http://www.tokyopop.co.uk/ugc/1/4/1/...tar/641808.jpg

Just not practiced by so many these days!
Old 10 November 2008, 03:40 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I had someone give me back a tenner I left in Tescos yesterday, I also returned a Blackberry to its orginal owner that I found while drunk (read the saucy texts and checked ofr pictures first) I dropped a wedge of 2000 baht once in Bangkok and a stall owner picked it up and ran after me to return it. I once had a guy I had known for 2 weeks lend me £1800 for a few days. The amount of examples of generosity and honesty I have experienced in my life greatly outweighs the experiences of dishonesty. The UK is in general full of nice people.
Old 10 November 2008, 04:11 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
...and where's the text that goes with that? mrs g (of all people!) picked that photo out (travolta and slj) to go in a collection of 4 film stills in our dining room!
Old 10 November 2008, 04:18 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i saw a deliveery driver dropping off some sand to my neighbour the other week. his drivers door was flapping in the wind so i took a few pics in case my neighbour noticed any damage on his car. we joke about the whole nosey neighbour thing (or at least i think we joke....) but i know he looks out for us and so does his wife

driver not at fault on that occasion but just a few months ago a driver from next took off about three wing mirrors in our street and sped off

also just reminded me that mrs g's car (a 206 a few years ago) was heavily damaged down one side by a refuse lorry. my neighbour heard the scrape and came out to see what had happened the driver was about to leave the scnee and if it wasn't for my neighbour mrs g would have returned from a weekend away to find her car in bits with no evidence of who was at fault.

i like my neighbours
Old 10 November 2008, 05:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What happened to Honesty?

Went out the window with Good Manners.
Old 10 November 2008, 05:18 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Alas it is the way of society today.

I believe that everyone has to be responsible and face up to their actions. Anyone who tries to avoid the repercussions of their actions are scumweasels but alas the scumweasel ratio in this country is getting worse. You only have to look at people on here who try to scumweasel their way out of speeding tickets when they know full well in their own mind they have been caught breaking the law...

My mum recently dinged a stationary van which was without it's driver. No witnesses but she stopped went in search of van man to no avail. She then noted the office number on the van, called them and got put through to one of the business owners. The guy said he would have a look when the van got back to depot and if he needed to make a claim he would call my mum back - he was astounded at her honesty and 10days later no call and so no claim

How many folk would do that today?

We are, alas, a very selfish and irresponsible society in the main.
Are you talking to me??