Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog advice:-Please read and offer opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2008, 03:05 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog advice:-Please read and offer opinion?

Hi all,

Please take the time to read this, and offer me some advice.

I want to buy my Mum a small dog. We had a dog when I lived at home (A Border collie) for about 14 years and my mum loves dogs.

She's 68 (My mum, not the dog LOL) and may Dad died 18 months ago from Cancer, He had had it a while but unfortunately it lay undetected until it was too late. A short (8 weeks) while after finding the cancer, he'd gone.

I'm lucky enough to only live a couple of streets away, so we spend a few evenings with Mum, and our ten year old son stays with her at least twice a week, sometimes 4 or 5 times, and she takes him to school and picks him up as often as she can, and is still very active. I feel in some ways, my son is almost a "stand in" for my dad, and she loves to fuss over him, he has his own room and TV etc. and describes himself as "the man of the house!"

Now, here's my issue. When Daniel (Son) goes to senior school in Sept next year, I will be dropping him off on my way to work, and then he'll be catching the bus home. I'm worried that my Mum will feel marginalised, and lonely with so much time on her hands perhaps. Dan plays football quite well, and he may not want to spend as much time with his Grandma. . . . . . . .

Now, I want suggestions for a SMALL dog, maybe a Yorkshire terrier or such like, that she could easily control and potentially carry if required.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by RJM25R; 08 November 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08 November 2008, 03:11 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Are you sure she wants a dog? How about if she fosters one first before going the whole hog? The rescue places are always after foster homes.
Old 08 November 2008, 03:11 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

King Charles Spaniel ?
Old 08 November 2008, 03:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
King Charles Spaniel ?
That would be a super choice for mum IMHO (we have two). BUT they seem to be prone to this nightmare brain disease so you would need to select carefully. Also a Cavalier would be a tad heavy to carry around too much.

Would a Jack Russell be too lively?

Westie perhaps. dl
Old 08 November 2008, 03:23 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Hi there we have a chihuahua and a yorkie cross chihuahua, the chihuahua only loves his mum but the chihuahua cross yorkshire terrier is the most loving nice natured pet. She loves kids and other dogs and she is still very small and will stay that way ... very cheap to feed and hardly needs a lot of walking.
This type of breed are just content with sitting on your lap and being extremely cute, hope you find what your after
love sam {tuckers girlfriend}
ps there are loads around!!! xxx good luck

Old 08 November 2008, 04:32 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Are you sure she wants a dog? How about if she fosters one first before going the whole hog? The rescue places are always after foster homes.
Thanks for your comments.

I appreciate your concerns, but with the greatest of respect I'm not going to buy her a dog unless I am 100% certain that she'd be happy with one. As far as fostering goes, I think it's unlikely that i'll find the kind of dog I think she'd enjoy keeping TBH. She regularly has my sisters dogs (A small Border collie and a small staffy) at her house, but she doesn't walk them because she's worried about controlling them, hence looking for a very small dog. . . .
Old 08 November 2008, 04:37 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tucker82
Hi there we have a chihuahua and a yorkie cross chihuahua, the chihuahua only loves his mum but the chihuahua cross yorkshire terrier is the most loving nice natured pet. She loves kids and other dogs and she is still very small and will stay that way ... very cheap to feed and hardly needs a lot of walking.
This type of breed are just content with sitting on your lap and being extremely cute, hope you find what your after
love sam {tuckers girlfriend}
ps there are loads around!!! xxx good luck

Could you point me in the right direction for anywhere in the north-west?

Ta

Rick
Old 08 November 2008, 04:42 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJM25R
Thanks for your comments.

I appreciate your concerns, but with the greatest of respect I'm not going to buy her a dog unless I am 100% certain that she'd be happy with one. As far as fostering goes, I think it's unlikely that i'll find the kind of dog I think she'd enjoy keeping TBH. She regularly has my sisters dogs (A small Border collie and a small staffy) at her house, but she doesn't walk them because she's worried about controlling them, hence looking for a very small dog. . . .

You're welcome.

Hope you find one soon.
Old 08 November 2008, 06:26 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I always end up looking after this, which belongs to my auntie

miniature schnauzer

Only 1 iv came across but she has a really nice temprament, not to big. bonus with this 1 is it has a wire like coat. doesnt shed as much furr as other dogs so her house wont end up covered in it.

Main thing i like about this though is its not as yappy as other small terriers iv came across.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 08 November 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08 November 2008, 06:38 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Hi Rick

We got both our dogs from this website. Be careful looking on sites for dogs as there are alot of people out to rip you off... so act like you would buying a car!!

Yorkie X Chihuahua in Lincoln, Lincolnshire ( Dogs For Sale )

Chihuahua X Yorkies (Chalkies) never need walking so long as they have room to run about, and a nice garden to play in. Roxy enjoys a nice stroll around the park once a week on a lead..

Good luck

Tucker
Old 08 November 2008, 10:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Size and control are two separate issues,"her" Staffi-lab X is a kitten on a lead, and a boisterous thug off it, it's all about the training.

My "old fella" is the same, but he hates yorkies etc., because they are ALWAYS yappy and aggressive, again all about the training.

DunxC

Agree a hyper-active collie isn't the best choice, Jack Russel gets my vote
Old 08 November 2008, 11:50 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

It's hard to beat an old fashioned , stumpy legged Jack Russell. It'll keep your mum on her toes, but be quite happy just strolling down to the shops, and guarding her trolly outside the Spar. Bright as a button, but with a mischievous streak that will keep her amused. Excellent at sussing out a wrong'un at the door! Fit and healthy- they hardly ever go wrong.
Brilliant little dogs.
Old 09 November 2008, 12:00 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Go for a cross between a Jack Russell and a Patterdale Terrier. Less "Yappy" and have a much finer fur - not so "wirey".

That's our lad MAX. He's great company
Old 09 November 2008, 10:56 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'd go pure Jack Russell. Lovely little dogs if trained properly.

Our friend has a Patterdale/miniature poodle cross and it's a TOTAL nightmare.
Old 11 November 2008, 02:14 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Any further info?
Old 11 November 2008, 02:17 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

go for a westie lovely dogs and enjoy sitting on your lap like a cat
Old 11 November 2008, 02:58 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi their thats a terrible story and i feel for your mom think your idea of a dog is mint.
I think dogs are very good for people and especailly if they live alone as dogs are totally devoted to the owner and become great companions.
Can you just ask her what she likes?
If not what about a french bulldog they lovely dog ,small with a lot of personality.
Or a boarder terrier they are a loving dog too.
Good luck and all the best.
Old 11 November 2008, 03:43 PM
85rob
Scooby Regular

why does it have to be a small dog?

my mums got an ex racing greyhound, it sleeps more than the cats and doesnt bother with them. best behaved and easily managed dog ive known of.
Old 11 November 2008, 03:49 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

aw u wanna buy her a puggle lol. mixed poodle and beagle.

If not then id recommend a Bichon Frise, shed love it
Old 11 November 2008, 03:52 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

I'd go with the scottie, good natured dog the main issue with most other terriers is they can be a handfull. The average Jack Russel wants to eat most other dogs no matter how big, Borders can be the same. Scotties on the other hand don't need much walking and are generally good company. You have to bear in mind as your mother gets older and lets face it 15 years is about average for a terrier type so she will be getting less mobile as the dog gets older. But its a top idea houses are very lonely with no pets the only other option is a cat but i think you're making the better choice
Old 11 November 2008, 04:17 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice - don't get hung up on a breed, be more concerned about temprament of the parents.

With the exception of Yorkies, which all seem to be either terrified or aggressive with nothing in between, I've met good and bad examples of most (if not all) of the breeds mentioned here.

I would be drawing up a shortlist and then spending some time to research the breeders and to meet the Sire and Dam if possible.

Many terriers can be quite nippy with other dogs - not an ideal sitiation if your mum is out walking.

And bear in mind, just because the dog is small, doesn't mean in won't need exercise - and lots of it. Jack Russels, for example, are like duracell bunnies -they just keep going and going

Westies are full of character, but prone to skin complaints. Minature Shnauzers are a good call, but again can be very active.
Old 11 November 2008, 05:24 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Puggle = Pug + Beagle

Actually, considered a Pug ? Excellent temperament, great companions, don't need massive walks (can go days without one).

We have one and is a real character.
Old 11 November 2008, 05:40 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 85rob
why does it have to be a small dog?

my mums got an ex racing greyhound, it sleeps more than the cats and doesnt bother with them. best behaved and easily managed dog ive known of.

Because it needs to be able to exercise in a garden if my Mum isn't up to waliking, and to be easily controlled. . . . At the end of the day I don't want her to be afraid of a dog dragging her down or under the wheels of a bus or something crazy!
Old 11 November 2008, 06:13 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJM25R
Because it needs to be able to exercise in a garden if my Mum isn't up to waliking, and to be easily controlled. . . . At the end of the day I don't want her to be afraid of a dog dragging her down or under the wheels of a bus or something crazy!
Greyhounds need surprisingly little exercise, and are not partcularly strong.

Although ex racing dogs tend to want to eat anything small and furry.

What about a whippet? - great basic nature, don't need more excercise than many of the terriers, not too big, not to strong. Very low maintenance.
Old 11 November 2008, 06:13 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Get down the rescue for a nice Heinz 57. They'll know the temperament of the dog already and you are ereally doing it and them a favour.

My Gran has some little barrel on legs that doesn't drop hair and spends most of its time asleep. Apart from barking at visitors its spot on.

5t.

EDIT - Greyhound rescue is another good call. You'd be surprised how easy they are to live with. If you've got some space to let them stretch their legs once in a while too that's great. Even ex-racers are trained to come to the owner as it is one of the few things they need to be able to do as a racer.

Last edited by fivetide; 11 November 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11 November 2008, 10:02 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Greyhounds need surprisingly little exercise, and are not partcularly strong.

Although ex racing dogs tend to want to eat anything small and furry.
You're not wrong DD

Just ask darren... about his at his bbq last year and our little ones fluffy white teddy she brought with her