I Thought Obama won because of his political views

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 05:10 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I Thought Obama won because of his political views

Not because he`s black ?

watching the news,he`s the president for the blacks and for black people to be reborn.

not seen 1 white person interviewed yet or anyone comment on his new views on things.

black all the way it seems for the U.S
Old 05 November 2008, 05:12 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a MIXED RACE Afro-American is ok by the black populace of the U.S?

he got there by merit of being the better man in the race.. simple as .
Old 05 November 2008, 05:17 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Yeah, annoyed the hell out of me during the run up - vote for him because he's the best man for the job and you agree with his policies, not because of his colour.

Horrible racism.
Old 05 November 2008, 05:27 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Obama's at the pearly gates....
St Peter: "Who are you?"
"My name is Obama"
"Oh, and what do you do?"
"Well, I was president of the United States"
"Really??... When was that?"

"This morning"

Hmmmmmmm
Old 05 November 2008, 05:36 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I think Senator Obama won for several reasons, one of which being his policies. Other qualities that may have swung it were his confident, statesmanlike bearing and his beautifully composed oration. It MUST have been these personal qualities that won over white America.

Then again, I think the other side shot themselves in the foot by having such a loopy loose cannon as Palin for the Vice Presidential candidate and for waging such a dirty campaign.

Putting all that aside, it is not insignificant that he is the first black President-to-be, so you can't blame the media for focusing upon that point.
Old 05 November 2008, 05:58 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

The issue isn't 'he won because he's black', more that he won despite the fact that he is. The big fear was that middle America would not vote for a non-white candidate.

This election would of been very very close if the US economy hadn't gone into free fall in late September. This was good timing for Obama, who was neck and neck with McCain/Palin before the meltdown. So something good did come out of the stock market crash; we got decent president!
Old 05 November 2008, 06:06 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Today , history was made.. we will always recall the day America voted in the first 'black' Pres.. lets just hope we dont have another day of history soon , A' La JFK..
Old 05 November 2008, 06:39 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The majority of the white population in fact voted for McCain. 95% of blacks
and the majority of hispanics voted for Obama.

Personally I have nothing but respect for a country that can go from ' I have a dream..' to 'w'happen Mister President?' in just one generation.
Old 05 November 2008, 06:44 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

id have voted for him, just seems like a nice guy. forget the fact hes black i couldnt care, him and his family remind me of those guys in that film remember the titans.
Old 05 November 2008, 06:52 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The jokes are already doing the rounds, re-naming the white house etc, tut tut
Old 05 November 2008, 06:53 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits
So a MIXED RACE Afro-American is ok by the black populace of the U.S?

he got there by merit of being the better man in the race.. simple as .
I agree. He was the better man, and his win in Virginia proved that. It was unheard of for a Democratic win in that state. Its not just a new start for the black cross-section, its a new start for every American. Being a Serviceman, I welcome his upcoming appointment, as he is a talker not a straight up warmonger. Bear in mind, we as the historical lap-dog to the USA could do without another Bush in power. Now remove Brown, and a more interesting partnership will be formed, and perhaps the world wont hate us both as much (perhaps)
Old 05 November 2008, 07:05 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Nice to see the muppets are out, get negged for opposing racism

Voting for him because he's black is as bad as NOT voting for him because he's black. Same as if he was asian or gay.

Who he is and what he stands for should be the only things being considered, even using the fact he is black should be offensive.

Our "diversity" group at work has a black history month - my black friends in the office find this offensive, it makes people think of them as being different, they ask why we can't have people history month. Using race to highlight groups only leads to the perpetuation of separatism.
Old 05 November 2008, 07:11 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it true he spent 600 million on the chase for the whitehouse?
Old 05 November 2008, 07:37 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Nice to see the muppets are out, get negged for opposing racism

Voting for him because he's black is as bad as NOT voting for him because he's black. Same as if he was asian or gay.

Who he is and what he stands for should be the only things being considered, even using the fact he is black should be offensive.

Our "diversity" group at work has a black history month - my black friends in the office find this offensive, it makes people think of them as being different, they ask why we can't have people history month. Using race to highlight groups only leads to the perpetuation of separatism.
One of Obama's billboard adverts shows him as white, and McCain as a black man... "See beyond the colour"

I think colour and race in this day and age really does not belong, surely as humans we need to just co-exist on this bloody planet. WTF does it matter if someones skin is different to yours?

Racism.. it's the new ghey.
Old 05 November 2008, 07:44 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
The jokes are already doing the rounds, re-naming the white house etc, tut tut

Old 05 November 2008, 08:15 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im really pleased he won because the other option was very scary.
I view mcain as the b4stard son / older brother of the bush dynasty.
I dont think there is anyone who would not agree a vote for him was more of the same.
Obama's arrival in the white house(soon to become the black kribb) was due mostly to the unsuitability of all the other candidates, all of whom stood for more of the same as this regime or the previous one.
It was more a case of "none of the above" allied fortunatly for obama to the liberal well educated middle classes, and the black,hyspanic comunities voting in record numbers.
So like it or not ultimatley the question "Is it because i is black?" err yes Mr president.
The rest of the world breathed a sigh of relief this morning,and no doubt many in america are still in a state of disbelief, in particular the midwest, deep south rednecks. "billy joe, jim bob,gunther, jethro,get the hounds in the pickup, we're goin to wasington dc on a coon hunt!"
Lets hope he makes it to the white house..
and whatever else he does he should avoid opentop cars and grassy knolls
Old 05 November 2008, 08:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Does the colour of ones skin lessen the ability of the person?

i think he comes across as a very compitant and skilled orator,

My other half was up at 4 am this morning to watch the result, and his

inaugural speech.

she wanted to see history being made!, now coming from someone who has

no affination to politics at all, it shows just how much effect he's had on

non US citizens

personally i think its a good move, and i hope he does well as the new

potus.

Mart
Old 05 November 2008, 08:27 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

He is the least black black guy I have ever seen (except myself)

The president is just a figurehead, so nowt will change.
Old 05 November 2008, 08:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos

You should see me! i know white people that are darker than me
Old 05 November 2008, 08:49 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

as the long as all the wars and bombing on other countries stop then hopefully will pull out of a useless war and then our econmy can improve and maybe spend the money to improve our schools,hospitals, roads and hopefully less taxes.
Old 05 November 2008, 08:53 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

I live in Virginia. Most white people in Northern Virignia voted for him. If white people didn't vote for him, he wouldn't have won.

The reason enough white people voted for him is because he didn't make race an issue. The vast majority of white people in the US below a certain age are not racist, but we can't stand it when black people make it an issue. Obama won because he didn't make his race an issue; he made it an asset.
Old 05 November 2008, 09:13 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos

He's blacker than Co-lin Powell.
Old 05 November 2008, 09:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hotsam
I live in Virginia. Most white people in Northern Virignia voted for him. If white people didn't vote for him, he wouldn't have won.

The reason enough white people voted for him is because he didn't make race an issue. The vast majority of white people in the US below a certain age are not racist, but we can't stand it when black people make it an issue. Obama won because he didn't make his race an issue; he made it an asset.
Definatly.. he is also the silkiest public speaker i've heard in a very long time, and what a relief that is after bumble head bush, his bi-cultural heritage also plays a significant part in the sub conconcience of those who were maybe on the fence, in that he's not totally black, and as such is a reflection of the american ideology of themselves being a nation where the "American dream" is still possible for all..
It's a reafirmation for themselves at least, that america is a great nation.
Old 05 November 2008, 09:30 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

aside from the fact he's not black, it's actually hard to tell what his politics are. vague noises about wealth redistribution, some posturing on pulling troops out of Iraq, and some scary protectionist threats (not letting the free market threaten US jobs) is about it from what I've heard. There was a great article in last night's evening standard about how the fact he's a cipher (i.e. anonymous and with no real opinions) meant the $600m advertising campaign was well suited - the US people want change and that's what he's promised. the problem is they haven't really asked what the change is going to be.
Old 05 November 2008, 09:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

god forbid they have a politician in charge

as long as they reel theyre neck in re- the rest of the world i think things will go smoothly
Old 05 November 2008, 09:38 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Well i think many people voted for him due to his colour and for only that reason. the way he has been presented on the TV has been all about race so far from what I have seen and nothing about his views. Time will tell
Old 05 November 2008, 09:40 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
aside from the fact he's not black, it's actually hard to tell what his politics are. vague noises about wealth redistribution, some posturing on pulling troops out of Iraq, and some scary protectionist threats (not letting the free market threaten US jobs) is about it from what I've heard. There was a great article in last night's evening standard about how the fact he's a cipher (i.e. anonymous and with no real opinions) meant the $600m advertising campaign was well suited - the US people want change and that's what he's promised. the problem is they haven't really asked what the change is going to be.
i agree
Old 05 November 2008, 09:40 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
People keep saying this, but I don't understand why. He's been painfully specific.

* People who makes less than $250,000/year get a $1000 tax cut.
* People who make more than $250,000/year have their taxes put back to where they were under Clinton.
* Get troops out of Iraq in 16 months (which is what Iraq wants anyway)
* Add 7,000 troops to Afganistan (and probably more)
* Freedom to renegotiate NAFTA if it is proven to hurt US interests

It's funny how McCain wanted to increase spending on many programs, while at the same time called for across the board spending cuts. Nobody made an issue of it.

Obama's policy isn't about wealth redistribution. Rather, it is a way of increasing tax revenue as quickly as possible. Middle class and poor people tend to spend money as soon as they can, which drives business. Rich people put extra money in the bank. Under Obama, this extra money is taxed. The government gets money from both side, rich and poor. This sounds bad, but it's the only way to pay off the national debt (it worked for Clinton).

Last edited by hotsam; 05 November 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05 November 2008, 10:06 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hotsam
People keep saying this, but I don't understand why. He's been painfully specific.

* People who makes less than $250,000/year get a $1000 tax cut.
* People who make more than $250,000/year have their taxes put back to where they were under Clinton.
* Get troops out of Iraq in 16 months (which is what Iraq wants anyway)
* Add 7,000 troops to Afganistan (and probably more)
* Freedom to renegotiate NAFTA if it is proven to hurt US interests

It's funny how McCain wanted to increase spending on many programs, while at the same time called for across the board spending cuts. Nobody made an issue of it.

Obama's policy isn't about wealth redistribution. Rather, it is a way of increasing tax revenue as quickly as possible. Middle class and poor people tend to spend money as soon as they can, which drives business. Rich people put extra money in the bank. Under Obama, this extra money is taxed. The government gets money from both side, rich and poor. This sounds bad, but it's the only way to pay off the national debt (it worked for Clinton).

i agree with most of the above i just find it hard to understand why they are sending 7000 troops over to afghanistan????

i mean when everyone was getting in to iraq for whatever excuse they gave, we all know it was blatentley for the oil and the simple reason that sadam didnt listen anymore..

Afghanistan theres only OPIUM there and mountains russia spent more than 25years blowing up afghanistan and couldnt take it over.why should WE taxpayers money be waisted on there?? the afghanies are no threat to anyone they dont have weapons of mass destrcution all they have is a couple of ak47 if that. theyve been blown to the third world by russia. if america realy wants to help it should STOP TAKING SIDES WITH ISREAL and sort out the trouble in the middle east and then maybe they wont have to worry about terrorist!!! and the world could be a better place with less recetions thats recking and affecting everyones lifes.
Old 05 November 2008, 10:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

and lets face it Obama was fighting against a VP candidate (Palin) who genuinely thought the moon was made of soft blue cheese

you couldn't make it up

Quick Reply: I Thought Obama won because of his political views