Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Asian people and Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2008, 12:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Asian people and Dogs

With getting our new hound it has made me think, my wifes Asian mate could not abide our old dog and I put it down to her being old and whiffy (the Dog that is) and her little boy couldnt cope with it so I put that down to him not having come into contact with them much so far.

We had a curry delivered and Bob answered the door as is his job, like a friendly mugging but I held his collar, the curry delivery guy nearly dropped the curry and ran, but instead backed off up the path and said "Please sir, the Dog, I am scared" so I depatched Bob to the kitchen and dealt with paying for the food, the bloke was visibly shaken and was watching the kitchen door like he was expecting the dog to jump through it.

So it made me think, do Asian people not keep Dogs as I have not seen any Asian people walking Dogs, is there a religous reason for this or is it cultural or just me making an off-beam observation ?

I know a lot of people can be wary of dogs but very few turn tail at the sight of a Border Collie ?
Old 03 November 2008, 12:38 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe he is just scared of dogs?? What has his race got to do with it? Mindu does sound like a bit of a ***** as it's just a collie
Old 03 November 2008, 12:39 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loads of Asian chavs with staffs and illegal type dogs in the town I live near.

Dogs are seen as dirty/impure in Islam.
Old 03 November 2008, 12:41 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

Some people are simply plain scared of dogs, end of.

I know of an Asian family that bought a Rottweiler puppy approximately 9 years ago and still walk him daily.
Old 03 November 2008, 12:41 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

I think your on to something there mate, the guys at my local curry house are **** scared of them too, and I've never seen an asian walking a dog either!!!
Old 03 November 2008, 12:43 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

I know a lot of people can be wary of dogs but very few turn tail at the sight of a Border Collie ?

Do'nt get many Asians where i live but i've got Border collies and believe me, they can be very territorial, just about all the people i know who have been bitten by a dog, have been bitten by Border Collie's, not saying that they are naturally an agressive breed, but if left to there own devices in a farmyard, will soon get very territorial and defensive, but still lovely dog's though
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The guy who delivers my chinese loves my dog who sits patiently behind me looking to see whos at the door. Maybe though, Im thinking hes eye'ing him up for a meal in next weeks take away

Asain as in Indian or Pakistani decent etc I dont usually see with dogs either.
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Islamic Concern: Dogs in Islam
Old 03 November 2008, 12:47 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

Oh and just to add. I went to get my van cleaned at the local 'Kosovan' drive-through. I had my dog in the back and the guy drying the van decided to open the hatch to dry around the inside.

Dog jumps out, man ***** pants and actually runs to the make-shift office, followed by 9 others. I allow my dog to roam for all of 10 seconds then call him back.

1 dog and 10 men leg it, result.
Old 03 November 2008, 12:48 PM
Lady T
Scooby Regular

Well being asian myself I've wondered the same thing. Its kinda split where alot of asian families are dead against it and some are willing to have them as pets.

I think in this day and age more asian familes have them but my mum and dad wouldnt let me have 1. Partly because my mum is terrified, she had one back home in india as a child and teased it with food and got bitten in the ***! (what do you expect)

Also some people think that its not right to have a dog or pet as they are kept at home and not in the wild where they should be, they cant talk so you couldnt tell if they were unhappy etc...

Or they see then as dirty animals

Or there just isnt anyone at home to properly look after them (in my case)

Most are just scared

These are some reasons that Ive heard from the older generation, thank god my family isnt that backwards!

But then in india and pakistan etc they had them when they were children so I dont quite get that!!
Old 03 November 2008, 12:50 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Asia is a fookin huge and diverse area. Can you sort of narrow the target a bit
Old 03 November 2008, 12:50 PM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

It is a religious thing. Its like the equivalent of someone coming to your house with big stinking dirty 9lb sewer rat on a lead and the rat then jumping up and down all over you. We got informed about this for work purposes. Depending on how religious they are any contact with a dog will mean they will have to have a shower before they can carry on with anything else. This is especially true before they have their daily prayer which can't take place until they have cleaned.
Old 03 November 2008, 12:55 PM
Lady T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martinbrown
It is a religious thing. Its like the equivalent of someone coming to your house with big stinking dirty 9lb sewer rat on a lead and the rat then jumping up and down all over you. We got informed about this for work purposes. Depending on how religious they are any contact with a dog will mean they will have to have a shower before they can carry on with anything else. This is especially true before they have their daily prayer which can't take place until they have cleaned.
I believe thats just in Islam...I could be wrong though
Old 03 November 2008, 12:58 PM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Yes, i think thats probably right. I couldn't remember which religion / country it was, just the reaction to dogs in general.
Old 03 November 2008, 01:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I am an Indian Asian. No, there is no religious restriction to keep the dog as a pet in India. Dogs are holy, so are the cows, stones, foods, clothes, pens, pencils- the lot! It's the cats you don't see being pet(-ed) so much there. I have two cats in the UK that I worship all the time

We have always had Alsation dogs in our family home in India. Most of the time, more than one. I developed extra vigilnence about dogs, when my own dog once scratched me all over out of mere excitement of greeting me back from school. I was only 6 that time.

Dogs giving some people a fright at your doorstep is normal- Asian, English, Hindu, Pakistani- whatever those peole are. Dogs can be very unpredictable; even the fluffy ones. My ex's nan's microdog Yorkie is blacklisted from the area since he ripped her Welsh postman's leg, not joking. I have stopped going out for walks in my rural now, because the farmers don't keep their dogs under control. They come charging at you to get you There have been articles written in green magazines about people not keeping their dogs under control, for others' health and safety. IMO Anyone (Asian or non-Asian) will be cautious (to the point of being phobic) of a substantially fierce looking dog. That Asian curry dropper might have had some bad exerience in the past, who knows. Stereotyping Asians for being unwelcoming to dogs sounds not so correct. But the Asian reaction is definitely noticeable. Asians express emotions more strongly that the Westerners. It's a culture thing.
Old 03 November 2008, 01:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I feel like a shower sometimes after a hound mauling !

Its a kind of interesting subject, its something I have kind of subconciously noticed but the curry guys reaction made me think, when I said "Asian" I was aware its a broad area, my wifes friend is British but of Pakistani parentage and the curry guy looked like he had just arrived off the underside of the Eurostar (i.e recently immigrant) but was probably Bangladeshi or Pakistani as I beleive most catering staff in the Indian food trade are actually from these regions, not India but I cant be sure, he certainly wasnt from a Sheep farm in England.

I suppose any Dog (Apart from Sara's) can be scary, the bigger it is, the scarier it is, I personally am terrified of West Highland terriers, because one bit me and our freinds one leave poo spots wherever it sits.
Old 03 November 2008, 01:17 PM
Lisawrx

Come to think of it, I have never seen a Jew with a dog either. I remember once one wouldn't leave our shop as there was a dog outside, most likely she was just scared though.
Old 03 November 2008, 01:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I am an Indian Asian. No, there is no religious restriction to keep the dog as a pet in India. Dogs are holy, so are the cows, stones, foods, clothes, pens, pencils- the lot! It's the cats you don't see being pet(-ed) so much there. I have two cats in the UK that I worship all the time

We have always had Alsation dogs in our family home in India. Most of the time, more than one. I developed extra vigilnence about dogs, when my own dog once scratched me all over out of mere excitement of greeting me back from school. I was only 6 that time.

Dogs giving some people a fright at your doorstep is normal- Asian, English, Hindu, Pakistani- whatever those peole are. Dogs can be very unpredictable; even the fluffy ones. My ex's nan's microdog Yorkie is blacklisted from the area since he ripped her Welsh postman's leg, not joking. I have stopped going out for walks in my rural now, because the farmers don't keep their dogs under control. They come charging at you to get you There have been articles written in green magazines about people not keeping their dogs under control, for others' health and safety. IMO Anyone (Asian or non-Asian) will be cautious (to the point of being phobic) of a substantially fierce looking dog. That Asian curry dropper might have had some bad exerience in the past, who knows. Stereotyping Asians for being unwelcoming to dogs sounds not so correct. But the Asian reaction is definitely noticeable. Asians express emotions more strongly that the Westerners. It's a culture thing.
Turbo, was not intending to Stereotype anyone, just interested whether my observation was a valid one, rather than just keeping it to myself (not possible I have found) I decided to share it, I find these things are interesting to discuss, just ignoring them as it involves another race seems daft, anyway, its not really a contreversial thing.

The curry guy is the only adverse reaction Bob has had so far, I really dont want my curry delivery bloke being scared away, if anyone is to be scared off can it be people touting for Mpower or Jehova's witnesses at 9am on a Sunday !
Old 03 November 2008, 01:28 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

apart from the religious issue dogs can have an issue with the colour of peoples skin and it works both ways. I noticed it first with 2 Jack Russels that I had that would take exception to any coloured people. Believe me where I lived having two dogs that would put 6ft 6 large coloured guys up against walls was funny on one side and definitely not on another.
I mentioned it to a colleague at work who is South African and apparently it works both ways, dogs that lived in "Black" families tended to take exception to whites and vice versa. I guess its just being used to those arround them
Old 03 November 2008, 01:35 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

It's only similar to seeing very few black men in say, Motorsorts.
Old 03 November 2008, 01:41 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Turbo, was not intending to Stereotype anyone, just interested whether my observation was a valid one, rather than just keeping it to myself (not possible I have found) I decided to share it, I find these things are interesting to discuss, just ignoring them as it involves another race seems daft, anyway, its not really a contreversial thing.
I totally understood it, Jacko Of course, it's interesting to learn about other beliefs and cultures regarding various aspects of life! I really didn't mean to say that you attempted to cause anything controversial.

I simply took part in the discussion to answer your query over the validity of your observation. I added my modern Hindu perspective in it, with practical reason for people to avoid dogs. Hope you get your curry delivered as usual
Old 03 November 2008, 02:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

We had a curry delivered and Bob answered the door as is his job, like a friendly mugging but I held his collar, the curry delivery guy nearly dropped the curry and ran, but instead backed off up the path and said "Please sir, the Dog, I am scared" so I depatched Bob to the kitchen and dealt with paying for the food, the bloke was visibly shaken and was watching the kitchen door like he was expecting the dog to jump through it.
Probably not used to seeing a live one.

You don't think that lamb curry was actually Lamb do you?
Old 03 November 2008, 05:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by al4x1
apart from the religious issue dogs can have an issue with the colour of peoples skin and it works both ways. I noticed it first with 2 Jack Russels that I had that would take exception to any coloured people. Believe me where I lived having two dogs that would put 6ft 6 large coloured guys up against walls was funny on one side and definitely not on another.
I mentioned it to a colleague at work who is South African and apparently it works both ways, dogs that lived in "Black" families tended to take exception to whites and vice versa. I guess its just being used to those arround them
Love it, Racist Dogs, can a dog commit a hate crime ?
Old 03 November 2008, 05:18 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

You laugh but I have known a few people (usually from Zimbabwe or south africa) who have trained dogs to attack Black people.
Old 03 November 2008, 05:21 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

nothing to do with the dogs putting up a fight before they get chopped up to go in your chinesse or chickin tikka?
Old 03 November 2008, 06:05 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Some of the larger breeds have a habit of repeating on you,as for chinese dogs once you've eaten one 10 mins later you want another..
Old 03 November 2008, 06:14 PM
psl wise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urdad
Some of the larger breeds have a habit of repeating on you,as for chinese dogs once you've eaten one 10 mins later you want another..
I eat a lot of chinese meals maybe thats why im barking mad
Old 03 November 2008, 06:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
You laugh but I have known a few people (usually from Zimbabwe or south africa) who have trained dogs to attack Black people.
You want to change your social circle
Old 03 November 2008, 07:07 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I take my three to school/college and they mooch around everyday at lunch time.... If I thought they were any threat I wouldn't let them out.

Usually find several "Ethnic Minority" kids who are absolutely scared witless at the sight of a dog, but few are actually afraid once they approach, and get mugged for their lunch !

LOL

DunxC

Quick Reply: Asian people and Dogs