Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone know about housing in dubai?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2008, 09:15 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know about housing in dubai?

Currently looking for a new job, and an agency I am with, have informed me of a few positions over in dubai.
Along with the salary, there is a 100,000 AED housing allowance which is about 17k gbp.

What sort of property would this get, would you be able to buy something decent outright or is that likely to be a years rent?

Trying to put a case study together to show the mrs!!

Also a car allowance of 20,400 AED (approx 3.5k ) what would that buy over there?

I have tried trawling the net, but at work most sites are barred

Cheers
Old 29 October 2008, 10:02 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

It all depends on what you are looking for to live in. If you want a 3 bed house that you rent, then you're going to be paying a lot more than that. If you want to get a 2 or 1 bed apartment then it will cover some of it.

To give you an idea, I was looking at a 4 bed detached villa to rent and most proces were beweetn £40k - £60k per year - just to rent. And that was with a salary of 75,000 AED per month, so while the money was great, I turned the offer down. DUbai is great if you want to share places but with a family, it's too expensive. Think central London prices...

The car money will allow you to lease a car, rather than buy since that is all you need to do...
Old 29 October 2008, 10:41 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Give it a couple of months and it will be much lower. Dubai is the next place to take a pasting on the property market.
Old 29 October 2008, 10:47 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
To give you an idea, I was looking at a 4 bed detached villa to rent and most proces were beweetn £40k - £60k per year - just to rent. And that was with a salary of 75,000 AED per month,
cheers for that, can I ask what kind of job it is that you were doing for 75,000 AED per month (about 14k per month? )

If its drug dealer or anything just pm me
Old 29 October 2008, 10:53 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
cheers for that, can I ask what kind of job it is that you were doing for 75,000 AED per month (about 14k per month? )

If its drug dealer or anything just pm me
Sorry - post was not to boast, just to advise the status of why I turned down the opportunity given the salary. Job was in sports marketing at a senior level - quite a bit more than I am on now and relevant to both the job and the location, although in the past places like Dubai used to offer things like housing allowance on top to entice ex-pats - that rarely happens now. However, I would have got full relocation, one flight home a year for me and the family (worth £10k given it was business class) and a car. But that is expected whereas the housing costs were not.

But we would make the move their to save some money and with the housing as it is, that would not happen. I'm not going to move my family from a 5 bed detached to a 3 bed semi for a job and make them suffer, since I do not think that is fair...
Old 29 October 2008, 10:58 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

no no worries not taken as a boast, fair play to anyone who can potentially earn that kind of cash

Job I was told about is only 168,000 AED so just under 29k but was thinking with it being tax free it could be something to think about for a few years and just rent our house out. It also included 1 flight home per year and the housing thing, just wanted to gauge what sort of costs the housing is and from the sounds of it the housing allowance would probably get me 1 months rent in something decent.

Think the mrs has won on this one as I dont want to leave a 4 bed house in wet manchester!!
Old 29 October 2008, 11:05 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Don't know when it starts but they will be TAXing peoples wages from next year, so I guess alot of folk might take a hit on there live styles when his happens.

S!
Old 29 October 2008, 12:57 PM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

I actually have a few property papers here which my husband bought home with him having just been out there working! , The price of properties are pretty pricey! I'l ask him if he wants to keep any of them and i will gladly post a few to you, so you can take a look for yourself! I know he said to buy a smal ish apartment in the new BErg Dubia(tallest building in the world) it would cost you around one million pound! CRAZY MONEY!!!!!!

tracy
Old 29 October 2008, 01:22 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stalked!
Don't know when it starts but they will be TAXing peoples wages from next year, so I guess alot of folk might take a hit on there live styles when his happens.

S!
Not sure that's correct. I think they are introducing 5% VAT on purchases.
Old 29 October 2008, 04:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobybubbles
I actually have a few property papers here which my husband bought home with him having just been out there working! , The price of properties are pretty pricey! I'l ask him if he wants to keep any of them and i will gladly post a few to you, so you can take a look for yourself! I know he said to buy a smal ish apartment in the new BErg Dubia(tallest building in the world) it would cost you around one million pound! CRAZY MONEY!!!!!!

tracy
cheers for the offer Tracy, but I think it has been blown out the water as it seems it could be expensive to live over there as well and the job isnt great money. Mrs suggested jersey so may ask the agency if they have anthing over there
Old 29 October 2008, 04:39 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along with the salary, there is a 100,000 AED housing allowance which is about 17k gbp.

Also a car allowance of 20,400 AED (approx 3.5k ) what would that buy over there?
Having lived in Dubai from 1994-2004 I can say 100,000 AED wont get you much, think renting a small studio apartment for a year.
I had a 4 room detached villa in the Umm Suqeim area, rent was 40,000 AED a month. (thank god the company payed for it )

A good source for prices on property is Dubai Property Real Estate ? Rent, buy or Sale Properties in Dubai, UAE Apartments and Villas with Better Homes. Manage or Invest in Dubai Property with us..

Used cars are cheap in Dubai, I bought a Full Option MY02 2.3l V5 Golf with about 9000miles on the clock for 50,000 AED in 2002.

AutoDealer UAE - Used cars in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah is a good source for looking at cars.

as for the tax etc, afaik it is not true, a small VAT will be coming, but at the earliest in 2010. (shame, as that is when im looking at moving back )
Old 29 October 2008, 04:51 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Dubai property about to crash massively as the sums don't add up and the funders behind the building companies are slowly recognising that.

Massive office and residential space was being built on the premise that banks/ hedge funds/ general businesses etc would all be flocking there. Wasn't ever going to happen and certainly not for the forseeable future with all the economic malaise. Nobody sensible stays there over the summer months anyway ( unless they have to for work - and certainly not the arabs) as it's unbearably hot - so all these pictures of families gambolling on the beach outside their detached villa on the World/ Palm/ etc are just marketing nonsense. You can't even stand on the sand when it's that hot.

Dubai has already had to go cap in hand to Abu Dhabi and that's going to continue

Anyway OP isn't going - wise move - Dubai is a fun place for single people (as long as you don't **** on the beach) but couldn't recommend for a family
Old 29 October 2008, 05:05 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cheers fat boy