Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dad & Instructor let 8 year old play with Uzi at gun show.

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2008, 01:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

State legislators are now considering drafting a bill banning under-21s from firing automatic weapons, reports say.
Too right! 8 Yr olds should only be allowed semi-automatics or magnums!

Geezer
Old 28 October 2008, 01:20 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

"This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened," said Mr Bizilj, a hospital director from Ashford, Connecticut.
Er, it happened because you let your 8 yr old son fire an Uzi and didn't supervise him well enough!

I wouldn't wish a childs death on anyone, and I'm sure he thought it would be ok, but it's his fault, utterly.

Geezer
Old 28 October 2008, 01:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Another one who's left the gene pool :
Old 28 October 2008, 01:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Hard to believe that anyone could be so stupid and thoughtless!

Les
Old 28 October 2008, 01:48 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I would love to have played with an Uzi at eight years old, but who in their right mind would let their child loose with one.

I wouldn't think it is too hard to decide that perhaps fully automatic weapons shouldn't be used by minors...

Steve
Old 28 October 2008, 01:57 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Darwinism at it's finest
Old 28 October 2008, 01:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Too right! 8 Yr olds should only be allowed semi-automatics or magnums!

Geezer
Not at the same time anyway. Dripping Ice Cream probably was what made him lose his concentration and shoot himself.
Old 28 October 2008, 02:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Not at the same time anyway. Dripping Ice Cream probably was what made him lose his concentration and shoot himself.
Old 28 October 2008, 02:23 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I started to shoot at a very young age. But it was a gradual thing, I was not allowed near a pistol (other than when on cleaning duty!) till I was 12 or 13, even then it was a .22 rim fire and I spent about a year shooting that before going upto .38 and onto 9mm.

I have seen accidents happen, in fact been in one myself (splash from a 9mm ND from someone else hit me in the face - that hurt!)

For me, as an experienced shooter, an 8 year old should be highly supervised and the ideal is either air power or a long arm such as a single shot bolt action small rifle. Thats it. Handing an uzi to someone who cant control it will only lead to one thing... and it did.
Old 28 October 2008, 02:42 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'm not actually sure what I am more incensed by:

Letting the child use the damn thing
or:
not accepting responsibility for the tragic consequences!
Old 28 October 2008, 02:59 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Why on God's green Earth do average citizens, let alone children, need to get their hands on Assault Weapons?? i.e weapons of war... which is what these weapons are END OF!!

Yes, if you want to hunt etc, use the right tool for the job.. a long barrelled hunting rifle or 12 gauge/bore, if you want personal protection then maybe a pistol/revolver is more apt..

Having spent much of my adult life working with these weapons, I can see no justifiable reason for any kind of civillian use, at least for anybody that has got their feet rooted in some kind of sanity!
Old 28 October 2008, 03:13 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I think you just answered your own question. The Uzi is probably the ultimate gun for protection / CQB, if not its up there with the MP5K and 20 inch Mossberg 500 etc.

Now, if you live in sunny Oxford or somewhere similar there is no point, I agree 100%, and local laws dont permit much than a pea shooter so you cant have one anyway .

But if you live or work in some ****ty places they do have their uses. The US Secret Service used to use Uzis in the 80s... they are compact and have high ROF and can be deployed quickly. They are cheap(ish) too.

I know quite a few CC ticket holders in the US and they tend to go for plane jane .38s or .357 revolvers. Reliable, easy to conceal and good stopping power. No shiny autos or gold plated AKs!
Old 28 October 2008, 03:28 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Darwinism Unworthy comment IMO.

An 8 yr old is dead.

J.
Old 28 October 2008, 03:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
Why on God's green Earth do average citizens, let alone children, need to get their hands on Assault Weapons?? i.e weapons of war... which is what these weapons are END OF!!

Yes, if you want to hunt etc, use the right tool for the job.. a long barrelled hunting rifle or 12 gauge/bore, if you want personal protection then maybe a pistol/revolver is more apt..

Having spent much of my adult life working with these weapons, I can see no justifiable reason for any kind of civillian use, at least for anybody that has got their feet rooted in some kind of sanity!
Why on Gods green Earth do people need a car capable of 150-200mph? In a race car situation on a track, yes. I can see no justifiable reason for any kind of civilian use. Afterall the speed limit is 70mph.

Swampster. Maybe people just take pleasure is shooting. I do. I Clay pigeon shoot. Target shoot with .22 & .38. Have shot Magnum handguns. It is a hobby/pastime that I enjoy. If there were ranges here in the UK that allowed the paying public to shoot Uzi's, I'd be there having a go.

Nothing wrong with shooting any type of gun. However an 8 year old shouldn't be given an Uzi to shoot all by himself.
Old 28 October 2008, 04:01 PM
New_scooby_04

"Massachusetts has strict gun laws that require parental consent and the presence of a certified and licensed instructor before a child is allowed to fire a weapon."

I'm having trouble reconciling the phrase strict gun laws and children being allowed to use automatic firearms!
Old 28 October 2008, 05:27 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Why on Gods green Earth do people need a car capable of 150-200mph? In a race car situation on a track, yes. I can see no justifiable reason for any kind of civilian use. Afterall the speed limit is 70mph.

Swampster. Maybe people just take pleasure is shooting. I do. I Clay pigeon shoot. Target shoot with .22 & .38. Have shot Magnum handguns. It is a hobby/pastime that I enjoy. If there were ranges here in the UK that allowed the paying public to shoot Uzi's, I'd be there having a go.

Nothing wrong with shooting any type of gun. However an 8 year old shouldn't be given an Uzi to shoot all by himself.
People take pleasure from shooting up heroin, should that be legal too then? Some people take pleasure fro.. I could go on ad infinitum, just because people take pleasure from something does not make it right or acceptable or indeed legal.

Cars were not designed for killing people, they were designed for transportation, and yes some derivatives have been designed for racing, competition or other leisurely pursuits.

Weapons like the Uzi, and other assault rifles were designed for no other purpose other than to kill people/cause maximum carnage and for use by the military or other martial force. They were not designed for target shooting etc. Granted as BTK said above concealable weapons like the Uzi, MP5 etc probably have legitimate use in close protection scenarios too.

I agree there are people enjoy target shooting, clay pidgeon shooting, hunting, etc.. I used to participate myself. But the right tool for the job... I wouldn't bring along a 155mm Howitzer for clay pidgeon shooting any more than I'd take an Uzi for deer stalking..

But no matter, you will not convince me there is any justifiable reason for putting such potent lethality in the hands of Joe Bloggs man in the street, and definately not in the hands of children.

Last edited by swampster; 28 October 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 28 October 2008, 05:34 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

I enjoy shooting as well and from what you can make of that story is it was a legal activity and the kid had used guns frequently in the past, something went wrong this time recoil isn't massive from something firing relatively small rounds. Just to add a bit in the UK there is no minimum age that you can apply for a shotgun certificate and no minimum age you can use one, in theory you could let an 8 year old use a 12 bore and close range its got far more energy. In practice you just wouldn't but it is parental choice but I have seen similar age kids using .410's
Old 28 October 2008, 06:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'm taking my year old lad shooting in January, (clays), I wouldnt dream of letting him handle an automatic weapon though, a sad story.
Old 28 October 2008, 06:36 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Video of Iraqi wedding - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 28 October 2008, 06:41 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Old 28 October 2008, 06:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been trained to use weapons in a "safe" way, giving an 8 year old a semi automatic weapon is pure stupidity.
Guns are not toys, they are lethal weapons designed to kill, and only designed to be used by people who "supposedly" have the sense to do so in a "safe" manner.

Unfortunately even over here in the UK, the ammount of people who own weapons and have little or no common sense or understanding of weapon safety is appalling to be honest, same goes for the states, and until there is some proper form of training in the use of firearms (its far too limited), then you will get accidents like this occurring.

Tony
Old 28 October 2008, 07:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Sorry, i laughed at that yet another idiot who gives a child a gun!
(was it a shot gun wedding? did he really need to take his gun to one?)

Tony
Old 28 October 2008, 07:05 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Is that real?

Geezer
Old 28 October 2008, 07:05 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

NO WAY ........
Old 28 October 2008, 07:10 PM
WRX JON
Scooby Regular

This is a tragic loss of a young boys life.... but does it surprise you... i mean in America the land of the free where guns are accepted. I can understand why people have guns for hunting and other games but a sodding uzi, and a 8 year old boy....supervised or not its just plain stupidity.
Old 28 October 2008, 07:11 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Yes it is real
Old 28 October 2008, 07:12 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Looking at the angle that the shot was taken at I would say that was the last wedding he went too.

Nat, they can either make the ammo, or, more common is that they chamber it for slightly different size round.

Quick Reply: Dad & Instructor let 8 year old play with Uzi at gun show.